Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-01-2018, 04:15 PM

Trek Checkpoint - New Gravel Bike for 2018

Looks like they made some really good choices on this one. I have to expect there will be an SLR version at some point with the front ISO-Speed and adjustable rear..

From VeloNews:

The Checkpoint replaces it [Domane Gravel] and ditches the front decoupler as well as the adjustable rear decoupler, for the sake of affordability. Its rear, non-adjustable decoupler is the same you’ve seen on Trek’s Boone cyclocross bike.

And that’s not all the Checkpoint shares with the Boone. The reach on both bikes is nearly identical; the chain stay length and wheelbases are also the same. The Checkpoint does have a slightly taller stack height and a lower bottom bracket, though. Trek aims to strike a middle ground between stability and responsiveness. It feels like a road bike, but not quite.

The Checkpoint also features Trek’s “Stranglehold” dropout, which is featured on one of the company’s mountain bikes, the Stache. This allows you to customize the wheelbase with 15 millimeters of total adjustability fore and aft. A longer setting gives you stability, while a shorter setting quickens handling. It also allows you to run the bike as a singlespeed.

Of course, there are mounts everywhere. You have the option to run three water bottles in the main triangle and another under the down tube. The Lowrider fork mounts accept a rack or bag setup and are designed for Trek’s 720 Fork Rack. The SL models include a top tube mount for a bento box. And of course, there are mounts for a rear rack.

In another nod to versatility, the Checkpoint has clearance for tires ranging from 28mm to 45mm. The bike comes with 35mm Schwalbe tires, as well as an 11-34 cassette.

The top-of-the-line Checkpoint, the SL6, is equipped with Shimano Ultegra with hydraulic brakes and aluminum Bontrager Paradigm Comp Disc wheels for $3,799.

Read more at http://www.velonews.com/2018/03/bike...aSYqS1Agrr2.99
Old 03-01-2018, 04:18 PM

I think they missed. No 650B, 2X, and ugly.

The mounts are nice but nobody is running racks anymore.
Old 03-01-2018, 04:33 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptourkin View Post

if it fits 45mm 700 prob fits a 650b. 2x is still preferred by a lot (me included) and its not that ugly imo but it looks very generic.
Old 03-01-2018, 04:37 PM

Integrated seat post?! Ugh.
Old 03-01-2018, 04:37 PM

Quote:

If you find that bike ugly, then you'll find most every new carbon bike ugly - I prefer some color, but it's no worse than other "ghost" bikes - and certainly much better than the hunch-back'd Canyon.

2x and rack mounts (and hidden fender mounts) make perfect sense on this level frame - why not give room for a commuting setup?

I imagine they'll offer an SLR version at some point that will be 1x, no mounts, lighter, etc. - ie. a race bike.
Old 03-01-2018, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
if it fits 45mm 700 prob fits a 650b. 2x is still preferred by a lot (me included) and its not that ugly imo but it looks very generic.
That's usually the case. But another release said " Also, don’t expect to run 650b on the Checkpoint – Trek says the frame is purpose built around 700c wheels and tires and 650b is not recommended."

Last edited by ptourkin; 03-01-2018 at 04:43 PM.
Old 03-01-2018, 04:42 PM

ALR Frame is nearly identical to the Fuji Jari frameset which has been out for nearly two years. Flat mount, 12mm f+r thru axles, fork and frame mounts, third bottle and bento box mounts.

The Jari also has a nice BSA BB, and 650b x 2.0" clearance.

The ALR frame is $960, the Jari is $650 (used to be $450 last year).

The Jari is also lighter than the ALR by 400g, and the carbon Checkpoint by 200g? Unless Fuji's quoted weight is only for the frame. In that case it's the same weight as the ALR.

And you can mimic the IsoSpeed with a $200 Ergon CF3 as Canyon does with their endurance/gravel models.

Last edited by andrewsuzuki; 03-01-2018 at 04:46 PM.
Old 03-01-2018, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
If you find that bike ugly, then you'll find most every new carbon bike ugly - I prefer some color, but it's no worse than other "ghost" bikes - and certainly much better than the hunch-back'd Canyon.

2x and rack mounts (and hidden fender mounts) make perfect sense on this level frame - why not give room for a commuting setup?

I imagine they'll offer an SLR version at some point that will be 1x, no mounts, lighter, etc. - ie. a race bike.
I guess the black one just looks generic to me and the cable routing looks sloppy. It's probably a great bike, it just doesn't appeal and it doesn't look like what the enthusiasts are running.

If that post is integrated, it precludes a dropper and a lot of people are doing that now.

The WTB Resolutes are very popular and those are out.
Old 03-01-2018, 05:01 PM
what's a little rust?

Quote:
Lights.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1334.JPG (138.4 KB, 669 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1347.jpg (55.2 KB, 672 views)
Old 03-01-2018, 05:22 PM

Quote:
That's usually the case. But another release said " Also, don’t expect to run 650b on the Checkpoint – Trek says the frame is purpose built around 700c wheels and tires and 650b is not recommended."
76mm bottom bracket drop, so very very low, I see this is as a very good thing for 700c, not all bikes have to be 650b.
Old 03-01-2018, 05:59 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed-B View Post
Integrated seat post?! Ugh.
It's a seat mast. Not an ISP. Works the same as a normal seatpost

I loved my Boone. I should be seeing pics of it here shortly... I'd ride another if I wasn't working for either myself or a shop that sells something else

M
Old 03-01-2018, 06:04 PM

New Trek

I think this bike checks many boxes for someone wanting a gravel bike.

You don't need 650b- If you really need a tire that big, a hardtail will likely be a better tool for the ride.

Double- Heck, yeah. Way more low gearing possibilities while not giving up road high end. I just built an Ultegra bike today with a 50/34 and an 11-42 with a Goat Link. It worked great.
The only drawback to a double is no clutch.

I agree that the cable routing could be prettier- But a lot of that can be made to look nicer by a good mechanic.

It is a well priced carbon bike with good spec- That is what many are looking for in a gravel bike.
Old 03-01-2018, 06:08 PM

I've been looking for a gravel bike for a while and this model looks pretty cool to me.
Old 03-01-2018, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee View Post
It's a seat mast. Not an ISP. Works the same as a normal seatpost

I loved my Boone. I should be seeing pics of it here shortly... I'd ride another if I wasn't working for either myself or a shop that sells something else

M
It still looks like a limitation to me. I can't see how that works like a normal seat post. What if you want a lower seat height? Is it necessary to buy a different upper?
Old 03-01-2018, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John H. View Post
I think this bike checks many boxes for someone wanting a gravel bike.

You don't need 650b- If you really need a tire that big, a hardtail will likely be a better tool for the ride.

Double- Heck, yeah. Way more low gearing possibilities while not giving up road high end. I just built an Ultegra bike today with a 50/34 and an 11-42 with a Goat Link. It worked great.
The only drawback to a double is no clutch.

I agree that the cable routing could be prettier- But a lot of that can be made to look nicer by a good mechanic.

It is a well priced carbon bike with good spec- That is what many are looking for in a gravel bike.
I think you have summed it up well. I'd much rather have it than any heavy steel bike. But we all have our preferences so mileage may vary, as they say. It seems to me that Trek got it mostly right with this new bike, and at a relatively affordable price given it's build.