Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-20-2017, 02:57 PM
Pack fill

Retire to "The Villages" ??

I am about 15 months from retirement and looking into the possibility of relocating somewhere in the south where it is warmer. We recently visited my sons in-laws for a day who live in “The Villages” in central Florida. It is hard to get a read on a place in one day, especially from someone who only has positive things to say. At first glance it seems very attractive with lots of activities and opportunities to stay active. I was told there are even a few 50 meter pools with time set aside for lap swims. According to the weekly newspaper there are 2 cycling clubs with group rides every day of the week. So do any Paceliners live in “The Villages”? Anyone have first had experience that they can share?
Old 12-20-2017, 03:14 PM

I don't live there....live about an hour away. I hear lots of negative comments about The Villages from locals outside the Villages......like "all those new hospitals, sports facilities, bike trails, and roads are running up our taxes"....stuff like that......but not from folks who actually live there. I have heard some folks who live there who are golfers....that some of the courses are hard to get on when you want.....but generally.....folks love living there. it's a very positive place. Full of positive people staying busy. My wife and I love visiting there. I personally believe if you are the type of person who wants to retire to a busy lifestyle, who likes folks around a lot, who likes lot of sports and outdoor activities, who lives and thrives in places with some rules (for other people of course), you would love it there. BTW....cycling is great there. Rolling hills, and year around cycling weather...and some of those "old" guys can put a hurting on you. Move on down. Enjoy our weather and no state income taxes. And maybe live longer and better. All kinds of housing...relatively cheap. Part time job opportunities available as well.

And if you come....get rid of at least one vehicle...and get yourself a real nice golf cart.....that's all you need there mostly. Carts have their own roads. You gotta have a nice cart.

Last edited by Ralph; 12-20-2017 at 03:24 PM.
Old 12-20-2017, 04:12 PM

I want to live in a community with a diverse age group, not in one that is all older people.

Jeff
Old 12-20-2017, 04:20 PM

My father is moving there in the spring. He is raving about the "community" and all the things to do.
Old 12-20-2017, 04:21 PM
Boeuf Chane

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlwdm View Post
I want to live in a community with a diverse age group, not in one that is all older people.
+1 on this

Just a few days ago I was thinking that a moderately-sized college town in a geographical location with good weather and nice cycling would be perfect.
Old 12-20-2017, 04:27 PM

I tend to agree, but having seen how social and happy both sets of my wife's grandparents are in their respective retirement communities, it makes one wonder...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlwdm View Post

Jeff
Old 12-20-2017, 04:42 PM

I live near Clearwater, about 90 minutes away. The Villages has a certain stigma attached, but, I don't no if I believe these things. I looked at Wiki stats: 98% aged 50+, mean age 66, 98.4 % White. As a 55 year old Caucasian, I personally prefer real world diversity.
Old 12-20-2017, 04:50 PM

I need to be near water or least hills, we are retiring to the former on Narragansett bay, cold now but spring summer fall is wonderful!
Old 12-20-2017, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
+1 on this

Just a few days ago I was thinking that a moderately-sized college town in a geographical location with good weather and nice cycling would be perfect.
Just made that decision, we're off to Charlottesville next fall, bought a house there last year.
Old 12-20-2017, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fignon's barber View Post
I live near Clearwater, about 90 minutes away. The Villages has a certain stigma attached, but, I don't no if I believe these things. I looked at Wiki stats: 98% aged 50+, mean age 66, 98.4 % White. As a 55 year old Caucasian, I personally prefer real world diversity.
FB, I like your style.

Wonder if these types of communities exist in other industrialized ("developed") nations or, more importantly, if they're culturally necessary. Time to text a pal who works in the geriatrics program at USC....

Last edited by beeatnik; 12-20-2017 at 05:44 PM.
Old 12-20-2017, 05:45 PM
Classics Fan

no advice, but congratulations on the imminent retirement. Good luck
Old 12-20-2017, 05:55 PM

the upside is you'll finally be able to use a 53/39.

or even go old fashioned (no pun intended) and use a 52/42.

Old 12-20-2017, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeatnik View Post
FB, I like your style.

Thank you Beeatnik. That means a lot to me.
Old 12-20-2017, 06:18 PM

the villages

I recommend you google (or use any search engine) the villages.

I live in an "age restricted, active lifestyle" community in Jacksonville, Florida (a Del Webb community, if you know what that is). The Villages is (are?) located in (or near) Ocala, Florida, so it isn't terribly far away. The most common thing we hear in my community about The Villages is that the incidence of STDs is very high, so you will certainly find that in your search. I quickly note that I'm not saying that to besmirch the reputation of the community or those who live there, but just that's a commonly discussed topic about that community.

I do know people who have lived there, and also people who've gone down there to look around, they all say it's very nice. Well maintained, and certainly, as some of the above posts make note of, homogeneous.

You may find this interesting: http://www.slate.com/articles/life/f...p_history.html

Last edited by bthornt; 12-20-2017 at 06:23 PM.
Old 12-20-2017, 06:21 PM

There is a lot of good riding in central Florida, all around the area you are looking at. The main disadvantage is the heat during the summer months (July and August in particular). Of course this is not a concern if you're a snowbird. And it's less a concern if you swim a lot, like I do. We have a 50m pool in Ormond (actually, 2 of them) and I love it here. But I only winter here for now.

My recommendation is to come stay a few days in 2 or 3 locations you are considering. There is nothing wrong with the Villages and central Florida, but there is nothing wrong with the coastal areas either. Take your time and experience the different areas.