Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

View Poll Results: How should I build it?
9s Record with Ergos, why go back to the stone age? 17 50.00%
Period C-Record with DT levers, join the CR bunch. 13 38.24%
Who cares, it's just a frame. 2 5.88%
Why are you asking me? I won't ride it. 2 5.88%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-23-2006, 09:53 AM
Karbon

Cool NOS Tommasini, how should I build it?

It HAS to be Campy. Cinelli XA stem, Top 66-44 bars, Rolls or Gipiemme saddle. SR single bolt 25mm post.

But what era Campy?

My current thinking is to use 9s Record Titanium with Record Deltas, downtube levers (maybe Chorus 9s Ergo's as I have a NIB set) and '95 Record hubs with Ambrosio Nemesis 'day tubular rims shod with Vittoria KX tubulars. But I could go all Record C of 1992ish without a lot of work.

So what say you, the denzions of style and form? This started as an idea for a winter bike, something classical steel, lugged and somewhat pretty. To take out in the damp and cold without wondering if a WW part was going to give way. Something to take me back to my departing youth, when rain didn't stop me riding (ask the wife!) and snow was something to take pictures of. Big Mig was a blip on the radar of Greg Lemond, and Fignon would spit into cameras while Bugno was taking presentation girls back to his place. It's morphed and grown since then, to two complete projects (for less than the retail cost of a Colnago Master Carbon with 2006 Record - my benchmark for budget), so I can afford to dream a little more, but I have gotten used to 10s and Ergo shifting. So do I keep it (actually with 9s, and all aluminum components) or do I reach back in time for all the components?

I have thought two bikes is too much, and I should sell one, but I don't think I'd ever be able to repeat the exercise, so here I am....

So, what say you all?

[IMG][/IMG]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tomm bb.jpg (46.3 KB, 374 views)
Old 09-23-2006, 10:25 AM

i say new centaur. not a lot on $$$ stuff is pretty good.
10 spd. then you can use the wheels on your other bike if you need to
Old 09-23-2006, 11:12 AM

c record would be cool if you have another modern bike imho
Old 09-23-2006, 11:18 AM

Record or Chorus. Record if you can.
Old 09-23-2006, 11:19 AM
catulle

Build it modern. Latest Campagnolo. Full Italian. Doing so you would honor it, and compensate some for the frame's weight.
Old 09-23-2006, 11:32 AM
Karbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by catulle
Build it modern. Latest Campagnolo. Full Italian. Doing so you would honor it, and compensate some for the frame's weight.

I have light bikes, one of them is 12.35lbs. Frame weight is what it is, as will be the bike.

I was thinking of a no carbon rule for the build, which rules out latest Record Ergo levers and derailleurs.

I'm kind of stuck on how the Gewiss De Rosa's were built, Record with DT levers and Shamal type wheels (box section wheels for winter). I don't need to worry about wheels for the other bikes, they have their own (typically every bike of mine has two sets of wheels for it).

It will be full Italian, anything else would be wrong in my eyes. In some ways this is my ode to what I think was the best days of Italian frame building (now I better go hide).
Old 09-23-2006, 11:39 AM
jmewkill posse

It has a chrome fork for god's sake! It must be built with an eye for style and therefore, no carbon fiber, no weight weenie parts, no latest fashions, no deep section rims.

C-record if you have it but Super or Neuvo Record would be better. Doesn't have the tubes to pull off Delta brakes, fatmo. Delta's only look good on bikes built with Max tubes.
Old 09-23-2006, 11:58 AM
Karbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archibald
It has a chrome fork for god's sake! It must be built with an eye for style and therefore, no carbon fiber, no weight weenie parts, no latest fashions, no deep section rims.

C-record if you have it but Super or Neuvo Record would be better. Doesn't have the tubes to pull off Delta brakes, fatmo. Delta's only look good on bikes built with Max tubes.
I believe it was built in 1992, so deep section was somewhat in style.

I think Deltas suit this downtube to a T...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tomm bb2.jpg (42.1 KB, 339 views)
Old 09-23-2006, 12:06 PM
jmewkill posse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karbon
I believe it was built in 1992, so deep section was somewhat in style.

I think Deltas suit this downtube to a T...
Wow, from the profile shot I didn't notice it was an MS bike. OK, you have my permission to use Delta's, but just barely.

Deep section rims are still a no-no! Doesn't matter if they were around in '92, they don't fit the style of the bike. You don't wear argyle socks and a plaid tie with a sharkskin suit, fatmo.
Old 09-23-2006, 01:01 PM

I thought I read that Delta brakes were best used with wide rims to ensure that the shoes didn't go into the spokes when the pads got worn. I suppose this would only happen to dummies who don't inspect their bikes though.
This bike is about 10 years too young to join the CR group.

What is the rear spacing? If it's 130mm I would go with 9 or 10 speed all metal Ergos. If it's 126 I might want Nuovo/Super Record. I've never ridden Campy indexed DT shifters but the Shimano ones work great. I have one all Nuovo Record bike and it's fun for a change of pace but I'm sometimes tempted to swap the shifters for Suntour Power Ratchets, the brakes for Tektro dual pivots, and the brake levers for Shimano DA Aeros all of which are sitting in my tool box. Of course then I might as well get a Sugino triple crank and some Shimano derailleurs for a better-performing but less-cool mutt.
Old 09-23-2006, 01:25 PM

There is only one way to build a classic like this...

Shimano Ultegra 9 speed STI and matching Ultegra components, Thomson seat post, 3T quill stem, Mavic wheels, Specialized saddle
Old 09-23-2006, 01:28 PM
Karbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank
Shimano Ultegra 9 speed STI and matching Ultegra components, Thomson seat post, 3T quill stem, Mavic wheels, Specialized saddle
Frank, you are a very sick man!

Ken, it's 130mm rear spacing.
Old 09-23-2006, 01:42 PM
needs adult supervision

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karbon
I have light bikes, one of them is 12.35lbs.
details, please. you've_heavily_piqued my interest. merci.
Old 09-23-2006, 01:51 PM

Beautiful frame and fork!

My Vote -- Italian components. No Carbon. Downtube shifters. 32 or 36 spoke wheels.

Tom
Old 09-23-2006, 02:55 PM
lunchtable.com

9 speed record ergo with the pointy shifters; rolls saddle, grammo stem, 66 or 64 handlebars or those first generation mp cinelli nerve gay bars.....silver shamals corsa cx tires.....use record hubs to ambrosio rims with cg tires for the bad days.

build the thing up period correct. hanging super record on it is like putting shimano 600 on a meivici.

trust me,

obtuse

the tao of the jerk