Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-10-2017, 10:16 AM

Stainless steel seems over.

I never got the ss frame, but it seems to be that it has tapered down and not many builders use it. Ti is just a better choice imo, is anybody still building with h it?
Old 10-10-2017, 10:23 AM

Yes. People are.
Old 10-10-2017, 10:37 AM

It's possible to get one, but I think it comes down more to cost. A nice stainless bike is about the same price as Ti with less availability as not all builders work with stainless, and I'd imagine less tubing options are out there versus Ti too.
Old 10-10-2017, 10:49 AM

The majority of my work right now is lugged stainless - no shortage of it.

dave
Old 10-10-2017, 11:13 AM
Imshi Cycles

materials for a stainless frame are pricey (compared to "normal" steel) but i will say, i absolutely LOVE the way stainless rides...there is just something about it, a certain "crispness," that is just so unique.

also you can make a lugged frame out of it and skip the paint...cant do that with Ti
Old 10-10-2017, 11:19 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by eBAUMANN View Post
materials for a stainless frame are pricey (compared to "normal" steel) but i will say, i absolutely LOVE the way stainless rides...there is just something about it, a certain "crispness," that is just so unique.

also you can make a lugged frame out of it and skip the paint...cant do that with Ti
Really a question for a builder but same tube dimensions, SS and not, built by same builder, same frame dimensions, will ride the same.
Old 10-10-2017, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Really a question for a builder but same tube dimensions, SS and not, built by same builder, same frame dimensions, will ride the same.
How dare you provide facts.
Old 10-10-2017, 11:26 AM

Quote:

also you can [...] skip the paint...

I thought that was true, but then was casually browsing a Cinelli XCR frame and saw it had what looked to be rust in its welds up near the ST. I don't think stainless is foolproof...although probably much moreso than regular steel that has its imperfections hidden by paint... DK would of course be the expert here.
Old 10-10-2017, 11:47 AM

Huh?

Quote:
The temper and properties of stainless steel are different from high tensile steel so that is not necessarily a "correct" statement. I have not looked at the properties of either Columbus or Reynolds stainless steel tubesets, but my guess is they are different than the high tensile carbon tubesets so ride quality may be different. if the tubes are of similar mechanical properties then I would agree they should ride "the same" but I think its likely that the mechanical properties are different so the same bike made with different tubes of different material likely will "feel" different.

My 2 cents
Old 10-10-2017, 11:56 AM
Imshi Cycles

Quote:
different alloys have different tensile strengths, which translates into different ride characteristics. its not ONLY a matter of tube diameter and butt length/wall thickness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
I thought that was true, but then was casually browsing a Cinelli XCR frame and saw it had what looked to be rust in its welds up near the ST. I don't think stainless is foolproof...although probably much moreso than regular steel that has its imperfections hidden by paint... DK would of course be the expert here.
meh. i skipped the paint on my Life cx frame i built over a year ago now...its been through rain storms on my roof, 1.5 seasons of CX and still looks great...under the electrical tape I covered it with
Most people dont even notice its not painted, pretty funny actually.

Last edited by eBAUMANN; 10-10-2017 at 11:59 AM.
Old 10-10-2017, 12:01 PM
Registered (ab)User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
saw it had what looked to be rust in its welds up near the ST. I don't think stainless is foolproof
One of my favorite aphorisms gleaned from an internet bike forum is "It's called 'stainless steel', not 'won't stain at all steel'."
Old 10-10-2017, 12:04 PM
Hey, watch this!!!!!

I really enjoy my Kirk and Bedford stainless "blend" frames. They are just bit lighter weight and ride with a "brightness" that reminds me of my old Columbus SL steel frames but a bit stiffer.
Hopefully I'll get the Kirk Onesto built up for next year so I'll be able to see how a frame rides that is all stainless😉.
Old 10-10-2017, 12:22 PM

Quote:
different alloys have different tensile strengths, which translates into different ride characteristics. its not ONLY a matter of tube diameter and butt length/wall thickness.
I don't see how that follows. Tensile strengths (yield and ultimate) affect how much stress it takes to make a permanent shape change (i.e., how much stress it takes to bend or break). Since bikes (should) never reach their tensile strength limits, these limits should have no direct affect on ride characteristics.

The only affect the metal strength should have is in allowing more variability for choosing tube shape/diameter/thickness.
Old 10-10-2017, 12:22 PM

Quote:
agree. SS and high-strength steels used in bicycles have essentially the same density and modulus of elasticity, so given the same tubing dimensions and construction/geometry will ride identically.

Quote:
incorrect. tensile strength doesnt matter in the normal usage-modes and stresses that bicycle tubing experiences. modulus of elasticity is what matters along with density.

Last edited by wallymann; 10-10-2017 at 12:25 PM.
Old 10-10-2017, 12:28 PM
Imshi Cycles

ok, you guys got me, im not a material scientist. im a photographer.

all i know is that there is SOMETHING about the different alloys/grades of steel used in the production of tubing that creates an appreciable difference in ride quality/characteristics when i am pedaling my bicycle.

so i leave it to you, experts, to tell me why that is.
because it IS, whether I can explain why or not

perhaps the differences i noticed were just a function of butting and method of construction...or SOMETHING, i dunno.
what i do know is that i absolutely loved the way the 2 stainless frames ive owned rode and would not hesitate to buy another or build one myself.

Last edited by eBAUMANN; 10-10-2017 at 12:32 PM.