Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-19-2017, 01:53 PM

Bar, stem, post for nice modern bike?

If you're putting together a nice but not stupid expensive bike for someone and you want to step above the unbranded stuff, what is there? Ritchey? The comp stuff looks decent for a not so much money.

What am I missing? Does any other company make decent stuff that is actually available and not wicked spendy? FSA parts look pretty junky to me. The European components are often not available when you need them. Not that I want to enable excessive matching of everything, but it's nice when everything looks of a piece.
Old 07-19-2017, 02:01 PM

The Zipp Service Course stuff isn't too expensive and you can get the all black stealth look if you go SL. The whole kit ends up around $300 for the SL or $150-200 for the regular Service Course..
Old 07-19-2017, 02:06 PM

Fizik is also worth a look. Very nice stuff, well designed and graphically understated.
Old 07-19-2017, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villgaxx View Post
If you're putting together a nice but not stupid expensive bike for someone and you want to step above the unbranded stuff, what is there? Ritchey? The comp stuff looks decent for a not so much money.

What am I missing? Does any other company make decent stuff that is actually available and not wicked spendy? FSA parts look pretty junky to me. The European components are often not available when you need them. Not that I want to enable excessive matching of everything, but it's nice when everything looks of a piece.
I've never had an issue with FSA components--crank arms, stems, bars.
Old 07-19-2017, 02:13 PM

www.bikethomson.com

Great stuff. Great company.
Old 07-19-2017, 02:30 PM

Thomson cost is > double the target. The Fizik stuff is something I hadn't considered. FSA cheap stuff is no better than the unbranded parts, and the expensive stuff is not my cup of soup. Plus expensive.

Thanks for the ideas.
Old 07-19-2017, 02:38 PM

The Thomson bar/stem/post would cost about $450.

You're looking to spend $225 for bar/stem/post?
Old 07-19-2017, 02:38 PM

Buy second hand. Remove logos with acetone.

Brand matched bars/stem/seatpost/saddle always looks like someone has tried too hard, rather than buying the most suitable parts for each individual item.....e.g. my favourite bars are the Ritchey Neo Classic, but I'd never use a Ritchey stem or seatpost as they're just not as good/suitable as other brands (Pro PLT stem and 3T Dorico seatpost FWIW).
Old 07-19-2017, 02:41 PM

Fizik, deda, and zipp all put out good stuff with the Zipp stuff being my favorite especially their service course sl beyond black stuff.
Old 07-19-2017, 03:25 PM

I like my PRO Vibe 7S bars cuz the 31.8 diameter runs the length of the horizontal part of the bar. I found it weird when going back to my Ritchey Classic bars so I replaced it with a set of PRO as well.
I'm running the compact ones.

Don't have the seatpost or stem but have seen positive reviews on them.
Old 07-19-2017, 03:51 PM

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villgaxx View Post

If you're looking for something not black, the Ritchey Classic silver stuff looks pretty nice and not expensive. I especially like the 2 bolt seatpost, especially the older version (still available directly from Ritchey online store) with the etched logo that's invisible until you're quite close. It's not polished compared with Nitto or older Campy (sniff! )with a somewhat cloudy anodized clear coat but it looks good on a steel bike. The Classic handlebars also play nice with Shimano 11 speed shifters if you want an old style curve to the drops- some other round style drop bars don't work well with modern shifters, but the Ritchey classic ones do, with relatively short reach (compared to other old style round drop bars) that's appropriate for modern shifters with more real estate than old brake levers. And they set up nicely, I can get a nice flat transition to the hoods with the drops nearly parallel with the ground, just how I like them.

Last edited by zennmotion; 07-19-2017 at 04:10 PM.
Old 07-19-2017, 03:51 PM

I did full Ritchey on my Strong and I have no complaints.
Old 07-19-2017, 04:07 PM

Ritchey, Deda, Fizik.
Old 07-19-2017, 04:16 PM

I would go with Ritchey black alloy if you like the complete set of black out stuff. Easton would be my second choice.

If you like shiny bits for more retro look, then Ritchey classic or Nitto bars. Ritchey Classic stem is quite nice. Thomson stem is beefier and slightly more.
Old 07-19-2017, 04:21 PM

If you want everything to match, PRO Vibe, 3t, Ritchey, Deda, Specialized are good and have parts available at different price points.