Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-14-2017, 04:49 PM

2002 Trek 5200 as intro carbon frame?

Howdy folks,

My bargain alarm is sounding at a very reasonably priced early-2000s Trek 5200.

I understand the caveats of buying old/second-hand CF and will do my due diligence when I check it out to the best of my ability, but this model does seem to have a pretty good track record on the internets.

Paint has wear and one significant chip on the rear fork, but the seller reassures me the frame is structurally sound, no crashes, etc., and the frame has been ridden a lot since that chip happened fwiw. Not too worrisome, on spec.

The clincher (and no, not talking about its Vista SL wheels ) is that it sports 1-year-old 105 front & rear derailleurs, crank, shifters and cassette, so even if the frame were to disintegrate tomorrow, killing me instantly, my heirs would likely be able to recoup my $250 in parts.

TL;DR, this is a no-brainer for $250, right? I've been actively shopping for an old Litespeed. Wrote off CF without even having tried it 'cuz I'm like that, but this seems like a really good way to try it out and potentially have a decent commuter I don't have to be precious about. Current daily rider is an early 80s Tange Champion touring frame, moustache bars, bar ends. Heavy, but integrity to spare. (I'm sick of it.)

Thoughts?
Old 05-14-2017, 06:17 PM

IMO theres nothing wrong buying used carbon, just check it out all over the place for cracks.
Old 05-14-2017, 07:47 PM
You still here?

Fit, fit and the fit are the 3 main things to consider when buying a bike. Everything else comes fourth.
Old 05-14-2017, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraman6970 View Post
IMO theres nothing wrong buying used carbon, just check it out all over the place for cracks.
Thanks, ultra. That's the plan--I'm already budgeting for a daylight viewing in a stress-free circumstance to take my time go over the frame properly. (I agree that the paranoia about used carbon is probably exaggerated.)

Other than that, is the general consensus that a 5200 is still worth riding or is it so obsolete as to put me off carbon frames for life? Really just putting the feelers out there because carbon wasn't on my radar at all, and this bike will require some effort to try out as it's in the 'burbs.
Old 05-14-2017, 07:58 PM

I hate saying this, but Trek had the second highest frame warranty rate in the industry with that era carbon bike. But of course, they didn't ALL fail.
Old 05-14-2017, 08:06 PM

So it has 11 speed (5800) 105?. If so, then yes, it's worth $250...
Old 05-14-2017, 08:06 PM
kg

Carbon has come a long way in the last 15 years. Add a couple hundo more and you could probably find something much more recent that would ride better.
Old 05-14-2017, 08:11 PM

Some obsolete carbon frames are just legendary for reliability and performance, not a fan of trek but I never said that their frames sucks or ask LA The old giant TCR that T-mobile used are really hard to come.

The carrera karma I got that pretty much nobody wanted here in the forums, that thing was fantastic... sadly was tad big :/

Hmmm the ridley damocles is a super nice frame aswell, the issue now a days is that everybody wants BBXXXXXXXX bottom brackets and super aero stuff, and honestly for the ride many of us do, a 10 years old technology frame does the work perfectly.

Then this take me to high end aluminum... which now a days you can get for really good price.
Old 05-14-2017, 08:18 PM

Get it!

I'm riding a similar vintage 5500. (White USPS paintjob)
It was my first carbon bike, coming from a long series of alu Cannondales (made sense to me at the time) and before that serious vintage steel.
It rides better than it has any right to, i started off with the original 7800 dura ace and dura ace hubs laced to open pros. (Obviously, it's not fair to compare to alu frames ~20 years it's senior, but beggars can't be choosers)
I've swapped out every part of my 5500 at least once, most twice and every once in a while getting a new frameset crosses my mind, but the thought of selling this one never crosses my mind (also, i'd get like $50). I'd be more likely to get a spare for when this one finally gives up the ghost to be honest.

My bike experience pales compared to most of the people on these forums, but I'm sure that if it wasn't for Lance, these bikes would super romanticized.
That horizontal top tube, those weird amphibian joints, everything about the design is 100%.
Old 05-14-2017, 08:40 PM

Trek 5200

I bought one and built it up and gave it to my little brother. He loves it. The bb sleeve threads had to be chased and the Octalink BB/crank creaks a bit, other than that all good. My LBS suggested I check the BB sleeve , the aluminum/carbon encourages corrosion if not looked after.

I'm not sure early carbon is much of an improvement to a quality steel frame, but that's just me.

Ray

Last edited by Bentley; 05-14-2017 at 08:51 PM.
Old 05-14-2017, 08:42 PM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgreene10 View Post
Carbon has come a long way in the last 15 years. Add a couple hundo more and you could probably find something much more recent that would ride better.
echo this^

the cost isn't the $250 spent...it's the time you just used up riding something that could be sooo much better than a delorean ride back to the days of carbon infancy.

I dont get to ride everyday. so when I ride, I want it to be on a great (IMHO) bike.
Old 05-14-2017, 08:50 PM

This bike will be fine- but ride quality is not on par with any "nice riding" carbon frame made in the last few years.
Frame is somewhat dead, feels more stiff and chattery in the rear end than the front.
Fork is not so hot either- I am guessing it is the fork with the aluminum crown.

Fit- fit can be a challenge for these bikes. Bike was measured center to top of seat collar- it has a really short headtube, and long top tub for the stated size.
But if you can ride something long and low it could work well.

But the bike is fairly light and fairly stiff, probably just as many people like the 5200 as not.
Old 05-14-2017, 09:05 PM

Thanks--lots of really good stuff here, folks. I admit I come here for the proper bike snob's perspective and you guys never disappoint. 😊
The local used market is such that full carbon frames aren't exactly cheap yet, and the ones that are generally get snapped up immediately. In that context I wasn't expecting to come across a full CF bike at a beater/commuter-friendly price, so that's really the main draw. It *is* distracting me from the lovely Litespeed Tuscany I have lined up, mainly because it's 1/3 of the price and I wouldn't be so heartbroken if it were to get stolen. (I still worry that I'll like that Litespeed *too* much to want to leave it in a bike rack at work...)

Anyway, I think for the asking price I should probably just check it out. It'll be an easy flip if it's solid and I decide I don't like it.

Also of note: my sunny day ride is a minty '80 Colnago Mexico, so I'm up for trying something drastically different if only for the novelty of it.

Thanks for letting me air out my neuroses in public!

Last edited by johnnylarue; 05-14-2017 at 09:12 PM.
Old 05-14-2017, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John H. View Post
This bike will be fine- but ride quality is not on par with any "nice riding" carbon frame made in the last few years.
Frame is somewhat dead, feels more stiff and chattery in the rear end than the front.
Fork is not so hot either- I am guessing it is the fork with the aluminum crown.

Fit- fit can be a challenge for these bikes. Bike was measured center to top of seat collar- it has a really short headtube, and long top tub for the stated size.
But if you can ride something long and low it could work well.

But the bike is fairly light and fairly stiff, probably just as many people like the 5200 as not.
Appreciate the run-down, John. This is the kind of thing I was looking for. Thing is, I realize this frame is somewhat sad relative to recent ones, but I just wonder if I'd have the same revelatory "wow" moment that a lifelong steel-rider would have had trying one for the first time 15 years ago... (since I really have no other point of reference myself.)

The long top tube could be a deal-breaker for me. It's currently set with, I think, a +17 stem, with the bars fairly even to the saddle height... but if the geometry means I'm in for a stretched out Merckx style riding position either way, I think I may have to reconsider.
Old 05-14-2017, 09:28 PM

5200 of that vintage is basically the same as the OCLV you could buy in 1997- so more like 20 years old in terms of technology.