Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-08-2017, 09:35 AM
aka RAEKWON

Tire blew off rim

so weird. got up this morning and went to do some laps before work (have to work both days this weekend, with this damn weather ). My tires were at 40psi so I pumped them to about 90. New corsa open G, maybe has 60 miles.

Was going up a bridge here in ny and my front wheel starts woobling. Stop, look at it and the tire is off the rim, with the tube still properly inflated.

I just deflated it and put the tire back on the rim. Had my frame pump so pumped it back up and went on my ride. Now, this really spooked me, my ride was done pretty slowly because I kept thinking that was going to happen coming down a hill. Interesting enough, the first time I mounted that tire, I blew a tube (got caught between tire and rim I am pretty sure).

What gives? Anyone had this happen? Improper installation or faulty tire?
Old 04-08-2017, 09:38 AM

Stans Alpha 340 rim?
Old 04-08-2017, 09:40 AM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
Stans Alpha 340 rim?
its a h plus son archtype. Have had many tires on it, never happened before.
Old 04-08-2017, 09:48 AM

Sort of related: I had a dream last night that my front tire just disappeared and then the rim broke in half.

Bike dreams...
Old 04-08-2017, 10:07 AM

It's possible the tire's bead has a defect. Or the rim's bead has a defect. I would definitely not use that wheel until you can inspect both tire and rim carefully.

My experience with handmade "open tubulars" is that they need to be massaged into place, carefully making sure the bead engages with the rim fully all the way around. The protrusion at the tire bead is often not as pronounced as on machined made tires and need some use/ seasoning for the tire to conform to the rim.

And so it's also possible it was a bad installation. Maybe one section of the tire did not go deep enough into the rim to engage the rim properly and had just enough engagement only to release itself when the pressure went down to 40psi.
Old 04-08-2017, 10:12 AM
The B!

Quote:
Stans Alpha 340 rim?
Why do you ask?

I've got some Pave open tubs on a set of Alpha 340s right now... was a huge pain in the ass to get them mounted, and they made a lot of weird settling noises when I pumped 'em up
Old 04-08-2017, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Man View Post
Why do you ask?

I've got some Pave open tubs on a set of Alpha 340s right now... was a huge pain in the ass to get them mounted, and they made a lot of weird settling noises when I pumped 'em up
Some tires I've installed on the Stans 340s have blown off while pumping, including a corsa open G.
Old 04-08-2017, 10:20 AM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by moobikes View Post
It's possible the tire's bead has a defect. Or the rim's bead has a defect. I would definitely not use that wheel until you can inspect both tire and rim carefully.

My experience with handmade "open tubulars" is that they need to be massaged into place, carefully making sure the bead engages with the rim fully all the way around. The protrusion at the tire bead is often not as pronounced as on machined made tires and need some use/ seasoning for the tire to conform to the rim.

And so it's also possible it was a bad installation. Maybe one section of the tire did not go deep enough into the rim to engage the rim properly and had just enough engagement only to release itself when the pressure went down to 40psi.
I am going to investigate when I get home. I rode for about an hour after that without any problems. Before this happened I also had ridden without any problems.

I am a bit spooked to ride it and will inspect the bead but really how will I know its no good? I might switch this tire to the back because I would rather this happen in the back than in the front that is for sure.

Don't think its the rim as I never had problems before and have ran many tires on it. The tire went in very easy too, no tool at all, I just put it by hand no problems.
Old 04-08-2017, 10:45 AM

had he same prob with veloflex on enve carbon rims. I have to watch close to ensure he bead is set well before inflation.

In a similar vein, we were about to leave on a group ride Wednesday night, when a buddy rolled up with his gravel bike wearing a brand spankin new set of challenge strands biancas. We were commenting on how sharp they were when kablamo! His tube popped like a gun went off.
Old 04-08-2017, 10:45 AM
Administrator

check to make sure that whatever rim tape you're using has not shifted off center and making a little more friction at the rim bead/ tire bead interface area. i find sometimes that you have to pump these tires up to a high pressure to get them to seat down "home" on the bead and then you can drop pressure.
Old 04-08-2017, 10:47 AM

latex tube?

Latex tube?
Old 04-08-2017, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Stans Alpha 340 rim?
Yeh. I've only had this issue with those rims. Did not rate them at all.
Old 04-08-2017, 10:59 AM

Was there any lube used to mount the tire? Could any of that and/or talcum powder have been left on part of the rim?
Old 04-08-2017, 11:09 AM
aka RAEKWON

There was no talcum powder to mount the tire, the tire went in pretty easy.

No rim strips on the rim, I am using velo plugs on that guy.

Normal tube, no latex.
Old 04-08-2017, 12:04 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
its a h plus son archtype. Have had many tires on it, never happened before.
Installation error..IMHO