Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-20-2017, 08:29 AM
ZhugeLiang

Frame pump galore

Of late, I have become a bit of a star at my little group rides. Whenever someone had a flat, they would yell..."Wei San! We need your frame pump."

They were all amazed at how quickly I could bring the tires up to 90-100 PSI using my Silca frame pumps in merely a couple of strokes.
So I was fortunate enough to find a box full of Silca frame pumps recently and I went ahead and found each a good home to the best of my abilities, until I ran out of frame pegs.
Ok, some of y'all would think..."Really?! what age are we still living in?"...and then there's a select group who would be green with envy, "weisan, you lucky bastard!" As they say, you can't please everyone...

Co.Motion.Tandem

Surly Trucker

Rivendell

EM Corsa Extra

Merlin Ti

And then some leftovers for future N+1

The ones that got phased out and rendered obsolete by the recent overseas outsourcing...

Last edited by weisan; 02-20-2017 at 02:35 PM.
Old 02-20-2017, 09:50 AM

Wow. Where does one just find a box of old Silcas? The red one on the mercyx looks awesome.

Seriously, are the silca's "all that" vs other frame pumps?
Old 02-20-2017, 09:57 AM
Randomhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post
and then there's a select group who would be green with envy, "weisan, you lucky bastard!"
My last 2 Silca pumps died an ignominious death. On one the threads at the back gave out, and the other was run over by my wife after she hit my bike with my car and knocked the pump off. That was triply annoying, since I never really liked her driving my car anyway, and then running it into a stationary object is pretty much unforgivable. The old Silcas were cheap but good, the new ones might be good, but hardly cheap.

I actually know where a box of vintage silcas are stashed. The owner gave me a couple, I'm going to have to put a pump peg on one of my bikes so I can use them. I have a collection of campy pump heads, I should get rid of them before they are pointless. Turns out the little rubber covers just fall off over time, even in storage. There is a suitable substitute, not in the original baby blue, unfortunately

Last edited by unterhausen; 02-20-2017 at 10:00 AM.
Old 02-20-2017, 10:03 AM

Chrome for a 25" frame

011 by ColonelJLloyd, on Flickr

50s Jack Taylor

Untitled by ColonelJLloyd, on Flickr
Old 02-20-2017, 10:09 AM
ZhugeLiang

Oh, that's where it goes, I was wondering about that. It was longer than most and I tried to make it work on the Ti bike but no go.

unter pal, if I can soothe your pain in some ways, let me know! I got a couple of spares here. Where do you get the substitute for the rubber thingy?
Old 02-20-2017, 10:15 AM
ZhugeLiang

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguedog View Post
Wow. Where does one just find a box of old Silcas? The red one on the mercyx looks awesome.

Seriously, are the silca's "all that" vs other frame pumps?
At my local co-op where relatives and family members often just drive in with a truck and unload everything from the deceased.

I am not sure if I would elevate Silca to the top of the echelon, it's just a frame pump, they all worked to a certain extent. But one thing I notice comparing the Silca with the Topeak, is just how easy it is to insert the pump head into the valve and start pumping without no flippin' no stinkin' lever like the others and it is perfectly secured and air tight. Pretty amazing stuff.
Old 02-20-2017, 10:16 AM
all slow no go

Extremely jealous!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
Old 02-20-2017, 10:21 AM

Great collection and thread, Weisan-pal!

I know the feeling as "the guy" who carries a frame pump all the time.
Old 02-20-2017, 10:24 AM

Put a pump on it.
Old 02-20-2017, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguedog View Post
Wow. Where does one just find a box of old Silcas?
Hans' and Franz' basement.
Old 02-20-2017, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
My last 2 Silca pumps died an ignominious death. On one the threads at the back gave out, and the other was run over by my wife after she hit my bike with my car and knocked the pump off. That was triply annoying, since I never really liked her driving my car anyway, and then running it into a stationary object is pretty much unforgivable. The old Silcas were cheap but good, the new ones might be good, but hardly cheap.

I actually know where a box of vintage silcas are stashed. The owner gave me a couple, I'm going to have to put a pump peg on one of my bikes so I can use them. I have a collection of campy pump heads, I should get rid of them before they are pointless. Turns out the little rubber covers just fall off over time, even in storage. There is a suitable substitute, not in the original baby blue, unfortunately
I have a couple of Campy headed pumps. Where do I find suitable substitutes for my deteriorating white rubber caps?
Old 02-20-2017, 11:16 AM

hmm. I used the Topeka and have had problems mostly with the hp flip switch. never thought about silca's until now...
Old 02-20-2017, 12:46 PM

zefal HPx for me.
Old 02-20-2017, 12:56 PM
ZhugeLiang

Quote:
Originally Posted by colker View Post
zefal HPx for me.
colker pal, I have a few of those, they worked just fine. The only feedback I have is sometimes the sharp-pointed ends seem to scratch up the paint. And like I said previously, I don't like the extra levers.
Old 02-20-2017, 01:20 PM
aka RAEKWON

I only have a topeak masterblaster but always comes with me on any ride over 5 miles. Frame pumps are awesome and I dont see many people with em. Of course when someone flats they are all can we use the frame pump because either they dont want to waste their co2 or their mini tiny weenie pump will not work to actually get the tire up to speed in less than 1 hour of pumping.

Long live frame pumps