Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-29-2017, 04:07 PM

Dog day afternoon...aka helmets are a good thing

Took advantage of a beautiful winter day for a solo fifty today. Got chased by a few rambunctious dogs. Nothing new. A group of three gave a good chase, but no nipping.

On my way home about 10 miles after these guys I had the wind at my back, and was cruising nearly 30 when two dogs approached.

Big lab ran right in front of me and stopped.

Happened so fast I didn't have time to react. Too big to bunny hop over, I creamed him and crashed pretty hard.

He yelped loudly but ran off along with his buddy. I sat there on the road going back and forth between " am I ok?" And "is my bike ok?"

After a minute or two I surmised that I wasn't dead, and nothing on me was broken. Bottles strewn, glasses broken. I hit my head hard so I took off my brand new two rides helmet to investigate. Cracked and dented all the the way through in the back. I bought it two weeks ago and haven't even decided if I liked it over my old prevail. First mips helmet for me, which I never thought of as a priority, just a bonus.

Amazingly the bike was ok. Wheels true, shifting ok, no obvious dents or cracks to the frame. The handlebars hit hard on one corner where the plug goes, but no damage to the levers, cranks, or derailleurs.

Dusted myself off and rode home fine, just a little slower than usual. It's been two years since I've crashed and all I could think about on the way home was how much fun this next week is going to be showering and dressing.

Typical road rash on ass, lef knee, left ankle, both elbows. Now that I've been home I showered and slathered on Vaseline and bandages, took some Advil, and added a jack and Coke just in case. Neck is a bit sore, can't wait to see what hurts tomorrow.

I'm thankful to be ok first and foremost, secondly glad the bike is ok, but pissed at the lost of the incidentals: Helmet, glasses, bars, bartape, my new custom fizik saddle are all toast. My favorite Vecchio's bibs are holier than thou. Weirdly, my new to me above category vest is scuffed but still wearable, but the hard as heck to find poler jersey I had underneath is toast as well? Thank goodness I had arm and knee warmers on.

Stay safe brothers.

Old 01-29-2017, 04:23 PM

Glad you're not worse, but sorry for the pain and equipment. I know the anticipation of stiffness/soreness to come, so good luck as the crash comes to the surface, so to speak. Take it easy.

It sounds like the dogs are a fact of riding there; Is there recourse to try to get people to control their animals? There are a few here in places that sometimes run into the road--aggressive/hostile dogs, as well as dogs who just want to run and end up getting in front of the bike. Either way, they can be dangerous, especially if the timing is wrong.
Old 01-29-2017, 04:32 PM

Sorry to hear, heal quickly. That is why I am a cat person .
I live in the country and unfortunately dogs are a constant headache.

Jeff
Old 01-29-2017, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jad View Post
Glad you're not worse, but sorry for the pain and equipment. I know the anticipation of stiffness/soreness to come, so good luck as the crash comes to the surface, so to speak. Take it easy.

It sounds like the dogs are a fact of riding there; Is there recourse to try to get people to control their animals? There are a few here in places that sometimes run into the road--aggressive/hostile dogs, as well as dogs who just want to run and end up getting in front of the bike. Either way, they can be dangerous, especially if the timing is wrong.
We are deep in redneck country where this happened. You don't go to inform the owner, you just go.

Last edited by Tickdoc; 01-29-2017 at 04:33 PM. Reason: Mispell
Old 01-29-2017, 04:51 PM

helmet

One thing is for sure, the helmet saved your coconut.

heal quickly

best

Ray
Old 01-29-2017, 04:54 PM

glad you're okay. that pic of the helmet. wow.
Old 01-29-2017, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onsight512 View Post
glad you're okay. that pic of the helmet. wow.
Pretty sure I'd still be laying there without it.

I'm going to take it back next week for a refund
Old 01-29-2017, 05:12 PM

refund

Let us know how that goes

Ray
Old 01-29-2017, 05:31 PM

What orientation did you land, on your leg/hip? Reason I ask, got some valuable advice from previous similar incident. Looks like the back of your helmet hit the road?
Old 01-29-2017, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by efaust_o View Post
What orientation did you land, on your leg/hip? Reason I ask, got some valuable advice from previous similar incident. Looks like the back of your helmet hit the road?
I don't even know. Left ankle and left ass cheek along with head and neck took the brunt. How my right elbow and right knee were involved has me baffled.
Old 01-29-2017, 05:39 PM

We have a lot loose dogs in our area...always hate seeing/hearing this. Heal up quickly!

Here's my helmet from 2 weeks ago...also have to look out for pickup trucks with loose boxes in the bed.
Old 01-29-2017, 05:45 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickdoc View Post
We are deep in redneck country where this happened. You don't go to inform the owner, you just go.
I'm glad to hear your head is okay if the rest of you is pretty sore.

I have a buddy who had a similar incident happen outside of Dallas about 20 years ago only the dogs chased him uphill. He got away. There happened to be a cop on the side of the road nearby, he didn't see the incident but he knew the dogs. He told my friend to just shoot the dogs if they chased him next time !!
He was surprised to say the least.
Old 01-29-2017, 05:46 PM

Glad you're ok. Trashed a helmet the same way. Bought the same helmet again. Figured why mess with success?
Old 01-29-2017, 05:47 PM

Sounds like you'll be fine. It is a insult to injury we don't have recourse. I was on a major hwy. when mine happened. Looked over at the house and sadly some peoples livestock have better accommodations. What I was going to say if you have a direct blow (I did a pile-drive into the road) an Xray is definitely in the works. I found out a year later I had compressed vertebra. I would have done well with some physical therapy. Also if it's worth your while, there is county to make a report, but without knowing owner of dog, get out of there! I hear dueling banjos...
Old 01-29-2017, 05:55 PM

Congratulations for surviving a bike crash. You now know first hand why cycling can be very expensive.