Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-02-2006, 12:34 AM
commuter racer

I got spanked by a tri guy last night...

No it's not what you think.. I was on my bicycle.
Who ever it was that said triathetes are scary fast are indeed correct ( I think it was Too Tall). I rode home up hill on a rolling 10 mile road last night with a friendly 50-something triathelete ( who very modestly said he was a poor biker) Yeah right, this guy killed me for 10 miles. I'm a pretty good climber too, and I had a road bike. This guy only knew one speed, turbo. I kept waiting for him to get tired, so I could pass him but it never happened, he just kept dropping me. It all reminded me of the last tri-dude I rode with in Boston, who only knew the speed of 25mph+. These guys don't coast! Or slow down...***???? Are they human?
Old 08-02-2006, 12:51 AM

I guess that sounds better than saying you got spanked by a Bi-guy last night.
Old 08-02-2006, 01:01 AM
UN-Registered® User!

Hey Shino...

Is it bad Karma or what? Better send me them coffe mugs

Seriously, I am beginning to worry aboout you bro. First you say you are getting fat, now that you are getting dropped, wha' sup? Brotha!!!

Are you working too much? Drinking too much? Well, maybe... not enough of the last one!

Take a step back and see what is happening bro! Maybe you are training to much!
Old 08-02-2006, 01:13 AM
commuter racer

Avispa...I was bested fair and square. I'm on target to be fit by september. This dude is full-swing into his racing calender....But I give him serious props. He was a hammer. Your mugs and treats will be flying toward your swamp soon...do you like nuts?

shino

Last edited by shinomaster; 08-02-2006 at 01:36 AM.
Old 08-02-2006, 01:46 AM
UN-Registered® User!

;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinomaster
Avispa...I was bested fair and square. I'm on target to be fit by september. This dude is full-swing into his racing calender....But I give him serious props. He was a hammer. Your mugs and treats will be flying toward your swamp soon...do you like nuts?
That's it bro, much better!
Old 08-02-2006, 06:33 AM
Ape and Essence

It's all true. Glad you met up with a friendly version
Look, if you want to mess with their heads just dive into a corner and get out of the saddle at the tops of hills. Speed changes and bike handling are foreign languages for them...just a suggestion.

What would Tiger do? Yeah, that's right...give em' the Wood
Old 08-02-2006, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinomaster
No it's not what you think.. I was on my bicycle.
Who ever it was that said triathetes are scary fast are indeed correct ( I think it was Too Tall). I rode home up hill on a rolling 10 mile road last night with a friendly 50-something triathelete ( who very modestly said he was a poor biker) Yeah right, this guy killed me for 10 miles. I'm a pretty good climber too, and I had a road bike. This guy only knew one speed, turbo. I kept waiting for him to get tired, so I could pass him but it never happened, he just kept dropping me. It all reminded me of the last tri-dude I rode with in Boston, who only knew the speed of 25mph+. These guys don't coast! Or slow down...***???? Are they human?
shino,
you need a new bike. your bike must be no good.
friendly prescription to save future embarassment.
s
Old 08-02-2006, 08:21 AM
Still searching

LOL That is soo true it's not even funny. I've played games with many a tri-geek that way...one way to really throw them off is mix-up the tempo and to get them out of that DAMN AERO POSITION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Tall
It's all true. Glad you met up with a friendly version
Look, if you want to mess with their heads just dive into a corner and get out of the saddle at the tops of hills. Speed changes and bike handling are foreign languages for them...just a suggestion.

What would Tiger do? Yeah, that's right...give em' the Wood
Old 08-02-2006, 08:31 AM
Tom fKB

OK, speaking of the damn aero position.... and I know I'm going to get yelled at for saying this, but why do guys with giant bellies and loose t-shirts ride their aero bars up a hill at 7 mph? The only reason I can think of is that they have a bad back and this is the only way they can get out on the bike, and it's not for me to say anything about anybody that's actually out riding but there's at least four of these guys I see regularly on one of my routes. I'd be willing to wager that my position on the bike is way more aero than theirs and I stink at it. I want to tell them to lose the goddamn bars, get in the drops and go.

Is it getting hot in here.... ?

* post made because I'm crabby. I had one of those rides this morning that every time I put on any pressure my legs said "No sugar for you, mon" and they shut down. It was hot (80 degrees at 0545) and I actually felt sick coming in to work. On the bright side, it was 37 miles before work so I guess I can't complain.

It's later than you think.

Last edited by Tom; 08-02-2006 at 08:34 AM.
Old 08-02-2006, 09:22 AM

Shino, TT is right on about tempo changes. Another thing to be aware of is that most Tri guy/gals can go all out (turbo) for a very finite distance. That distance tends to be whatever they are training for, usually about 25 miles. After that, they tend to fizzle. Unless they are training for a full Ironman, you can probably clean their clock at anything over 25 miles, that is provided you yourself have been doing longer distances at a high tempo. Most Tri-heads only know one speed; GO.
Birddog
Old 08-02-2006, 09:32 AM

Try cornering and descending
Old 08-02-2006, 09:38 AM
Ape and Essence

Tom, it's going to be otay...everything is fine the nurse will arrive any second now with the red pill

Bad news Birddog, the guys you have run into are mere pups. The guys I rode with a few weeks ago can knock out 22 avg. in steep terrain for 100+ miles. Ouch. Worse, they go really f'in hard at 30+ for mile long pulls just to bust nutz than "situp" at 22 and talk. To be fair, when I rode with these goobers they were in their last two week prep. for IM Placid so it was their big week...whatever. When you see "it" you know that's the real deal. I'm constantly blown away when in the presence of top dog athletes. Their abilities so far surpass anything I've known it ain't funny.
Old 08-02-2006, 09:51 AM

FWIW, the Ironman bike record (set in 2005) is 4h 21m 36s by Torbjorn Sindballe - 112 miles at just under 25.7 mph

scary fast indeed

(In an interview with him recently, he said his peak training week has 700-800km on the bike and a long ride at 7 hours. That's in addition to the running (90-100km) and swimming(30km) as well)

Last edited by ols; 08-02-2006 at 10:03 AM.
Old 08-02-2006, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom
OK, speaking of the damn aero position.... and I know I'm going to get yelled at for saying this, but why do guys with giant bellies and loose t-shirts ride their aero bars up a hill at 7 mph? The only reason I can think of is that they have a bad back and this is the only way they can get out on the bike, and it's not for me to say anything about anybody that's actually out riding but there's at least four of these guys I see regularly on one of my routes. I'd be willing to wager that my position on the bike is way more aero than theirs and I stink at it. I want to tell them to lose the goddamn bars, get in the drops and go.

Sounds like you were out with the ORG* riders from my club. Same gripe bikes dont fit so slap on some aero bars and point em in the air with 4 cm spacers and a + 17* stem. It helps them get to breakfast faster. For the most part a fun group of guys to ride with once in a while, lots of stories fairly easy pace. But d**n some of them rode 10,000miles last year and gained weight! Funny thing is they all buy at the same bike shop..hmm. Nah that couldn't be it .

*O ld R etired G eezer
Old 08-02-2006, 10:17 AM

most arn't that good a few are very few are great . what most don't like is a a lot speed changes most arn't use to hard attacks but it might take a few bros to pull it off on a tough tri-guy
i.m.h.o.
cheers