Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-30-2016, 01:52 AM

Possible rear dropout issue or frame layup issue???

Long story short....figured out after much grief that bike #2 has an issue where wheel will rub DS chainstay under load.

Bike #1 does not. (See pics)

Both bikes are 2014 Supersix EVOs. Any chance this can be fixed or is it a frame layup issue??

Thanks for any advice & for lookin'!
Old 10-30-2016, 04:30 AM

Since it appears the wheel is off-center on bike #2, have you checked the wheel dish? How about swapping wheels and testing again-it could be an issue regarding lateral stiffness of the wheel.

Do those tests and report back before we speculate further.
Old 10-30-2016, 06:44 AM

Same bike? check out the paint in the NDS drop out. If you have extra paint then sand it off little by little.
Old 10-30-2016, 09:45 AM

Doesn't look like the same tire, one has little nubies. Yeah should swap wheels.
Old 10-30-2016, 09:52 AM

Is your skewer tight? Sometimes lightweight skewers or external cam skewers can slip a little under load. Check that and then swap rear wheels and try to narrow down whether the same wheel causes issues on the other bike or not. What rims and tires are you using? Can you easily replicate the problem in a trainer?
If it is the same wheel having thus issue in both bikes, get it checked for true/dish/tension then see if it helped the issue.
Old 10-30-2016, 10:01 PM

Sorry so long.....absolutely epic climbing ride today. I'm just now starting to feel alive.

Yes, wheels have been swapped. In fact, the wheel in the black bike pic is the one that's been doing the damage in the white bike. (Boyd Altamont 32spoke) I had to remove the 25mm Conti Hardshells from that rim because it was simply too wide for the white bike. It now has a 23mm Mich Pro4.

I used the known-good stock Aksium the bikes came with to show the DS bias on the white bike that exists regardless of rim.
Old 10-30-2016, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loimpact View Post
Sorry so long.....absolutely epic climbing ride today. I'm just now starting to feel alive.

Yes, wheels have been swapped. In fact, the wheel in the black bike pic is the one that's been doing the damage in the white bike. (Boyd Altamont 32spoke) I had to remove the 25mm Conti Hardshells from that rim because it was simply too wide for the white bike. It now has a 23mm Mich Pro4.

I used the known-good stock Aksium the bikes came with to show the DS bias on the white bike that exists regardless of rim.

The best test would be to flip the wheel around and put it in backwards, if the issue persists you most likely have a genuine alignment frame issue. If these frames are under some kind of warranty I would try to go that direction.
Old 10-30-2016, 10:15 PM

Those little nubs on the tires will wear off the paint if they contact it.
Old 10-31-2016, 05:34 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicycletricycle View Post
The best test would be to flip the wheel around and put it in backwards, if the issue persists you most likely have a genuine alignment frame issue. If these frames are under some kind of warranty I would try to go that direction.
As would I..have a shop whip out the 'h' tools(check dropouts) and FAG to check rear triangle. We had one frame(Calfee) where the chainstays were different lengths..same issue..
Old 10-31-2016, 09:23 PM

Ok, just before I ask my LBS to take a look, I did some wheel swapping/flipping.

Pic #1 ----- Here is the Aksium flipped around. I notice a more centered wheel with even a little non-DS bias so definitely some dish/true issues but still suggests to me alignment issue.........

Pic #2----- Here is the Boyd mounted in the white bike. Definitely trying hard to kiss that DS chainstay. (There is daylight but not much)

Pic #3 ------ Here is the Boyd flipped. Looks like a more centered wheel but still a very slight DS bias. I'd say that the Boyd is quite true by eye with maybe a slight dish bias but these are only a few months old & last touched by Boyd himself so hard to imagine they're not pretty close to good.

Thanks for looking & any additional thoughts/input!
Old 11-01-2016, 05:07 AM
Proud Grandpa

Regardless of alignment, not a whole bunch of clearance, clarence down there...
Old 11-01-2016, 05:55 AM

to echo what OP said, the EVOs don't have a lot of clearance. I rubbed my archetypes (wider rims) /GP4k 25s on both chainstays (yes they were tensioned right) and ended up with a warranty frame out of it thanks to a great LBS. Now running Dura Ace C24s (standard width rims) with Michelin 25s. As a long time cannondale owner, TBH, I was disappointed with the whole thing (I think you could run 30+mm tires on the CAAD10 I have). Note that the new EVOs can run wider tires as well..
Old 11-01-2016, 08:29 AM

One of the things that I find funny too is that in 2015 (same frame) C'dale went to all 25mm tires. Granted Schwalbe Ones and perhaps those measure a little skinny but they went larger. Perhaps in 2015 they were uber critical on frame inspection. (shrug)

Definitely gonna see what they say cuz I don't wanna rub thru a chainstay on such a nice frame.
Old 11-13-2016, 10:08 PM

Ok, if I've been busy wrapping my head around this so on top of logging mileage & moving furniture, I battled the bikes & rims. I trued up my Aksium in my black bike and my Boyd Altamont in my white bike post LBS truing. (twisted CXRay & all)

After I'm happy with wheels in the bike they're in so I took to measuring all combinations..............

2014 BLACK EVO 60CM****************2014 WHITE EVO 58CM

CHAINSTAY GAP 1.200” ***************CHAINSTAY GAP 1.050”

2014 AKSIUM WITH 25MM TIRE**************2013 ALTAMONT WITH 23MM TIRE
*********DS GAP * NDS GAP**************DS GAP * NDS GAP
*****REGULAR .120” .100” **********REGULAR .070” .075”
*****FLIPPED .050” .180” ***********FLIPPED .050” .095”

************************************************** ************************************************** *

2013 ALTAMONT WITH 23MM TIRE*****************2014 AKSIUM WITH 25MM TIRE
*******DS GAP * NDS GAP*******************DS GAP * NDS GAP
******REGULAR .125” .070” ****************REGULAR .080” .110”
******FLIPPED .070” .125” ****************FLIPPED .055” .140”

I'm literally too dizzy to process all this right now but if anybody wants to look and give opinions, I'm happy to listen!
Old 11-14-2016, 06:00 AM
Riding Along

You need to measure to the rim not the tires. Measure at several spots and average. Tires are irregular in there width.