Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-20-2006, 10:38 PM
Post Mod-ern

So what does LANCE think of Floyd's win?

I have seen nothing--zip--nada--anywhere today as far as quotes from Lance or reaction to Floyd's win. I watched the OLN expanded coverage this evening and there was nothing. I can find nothing on VeloNews, or Cyclingnews.com. Lance's own website doesn't seem to have been updated since June 27.

Coincidence? Quotes from what seems like just about everyone who is anyone today in cycling, but not a word from Lance. Meanwhile, Discovery Channel was non-existent in the final standing of today's stage.

Has anyone else seen any comment from Lance? Anywhere?

Maybe he was out riding with Matt and Jake and doesn't even know about it yet? . . .

BBD
A thing of beauty is a joy forever--Keats
Old 07-20-2006, 10:41 PM
Blue Blazer 42L

Lance is . . .

training for RAGBRAI and can't be reached for comment

Team Francis
Old 07-20-2006, 10:44 PM

He's been roping steers.
Old 07-20-2006, 10:44 PM

he's out searching for someone that'll sell him a soccer ball for his kids
Old 07-20-2006, 11:50 PM

I could understand why LA wouldn’t want to comment. Everyone is saying this is the best bit of cycling they’ve seen in the history of the Tour, meaning better than anything LA accomplished in his last seven years. Others are saying the only thing that ranked near it was the Lemond/Fignon finale, again, skipping right over LA. What’s LA going to say to that? His head is too big to acknowledge that it just might be true.

I think we’re all lucky Floyd bonked yesterday so we had the pleasure of watching him dig deep and ride like he had nothing to lose today. It’s a crazy series of events that led to this particular performance, and it might easily have never happened.
Old 07-21-2006, 02:34 AM

On Wednesday it appeared that Lance's efforts in sticking pins into his Floyd voodo doll worked
But not yesterday!

As the winner of the last 7 years (and a media whore!) I am surprised LA has not been more vocal in his praise/criticism of the efforts of those who seek to emulate him on the the podium

I guess he is too busy single handedly wiping out doping from all pro sports
Old 07-21-2006, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingscot
On Wednesday it appeared that Lance's efforts in sticking pins into his Floyd voodo doll worked
But not yesterday!

As the winner of the last 7 years (and a media whore!) I am surprised LA has not been more vocal in his praise/criticism of the efforts of those who seek to emulate him on the the podium

I'm not generally one to cut Lance a lot of slack, but I'll cut him some here. He was at the Tour for stages 15 and 16 and was quoted after Floyd's really bad day, the day before. And he was extremely gracious and sympathetic, which I wouldn't have expected. More or less saying that despite their less than perfect history together, he was really pulling for Floyd (I'm sure he wouldn't have said this if anyone from Disco was still in the race, but that horse had left the barn) and was really sad to see him on his bad day. I don't know if he was still around the Tour yesterday - he literally might be in-transit to Ragbrai or elsewhere.

If he doesn't say something in the next few days, I'll jump on the bandwagon, but I'd just as soon think a little better of him for now.

Its also worth mentioning that all of the rumors about a Rabobank/Disco alliance to hurt Floyd in the mountains surely didn't seem to materialize. Maybe because Disco just wasn't there, maybe because Menchov disappeared as a contender as soon as they hit the Alps. I was well prepared to believe that one, but I sure didn't see it.

-Ray
Old 07-21-2006, 05:16 AM
Administrator

Seriously... I don't really care what Lance has to say about it. What Floyd did speaks for itself.

atmo,

William
Old 07-21-2006, 06:19 AM
Free Unibet

Atmo.....

Quote:

His retirement was a great first step.....
Old 07-21-2006, 06:45 AM
Post Mod-ern

William . . .

I don't care so much ,either, about exactly what he says. But if he says NOTHING, then that in itself is very telling about the man.

Guess we'll see . . . I just thought it interesting that the "Lance Fest" that is OLN sure did change yesterday. But it looked like Frankie was their only guy mobile on the course, and if Lance won't speak to him, then, well . . .

BBD
A thing of beauty is a joy forever--Keats
Old 07-21-2006, 08:11 AM
Retired!

I don't understand all the Lance bashing I see here from a bunch of guys who on their best day couldn't keep Lance in sight on his worst day. Maybe one has to bash Lance to be cool here...I dunno...atmo...whatever that means.

I thank Lance for his contributions to the sport I love. We should all be thanking Lance for helping to create an interest within America (read OLN) for cycling where little existed before he came along...say nothing for all his efforts toward fighting cancer. I applaud him...atmo...whatever that means.

Kevin
Old 07-21-2006, 08:18 AM
if claude rains it pours

Quote:
Originally Posted by onekgguy
I don't understand all the Lance bashing I see here from a bunch of guys who on their best day couldn't keep Lance in sight on his worst day. Maybe one has to bash Lance to be cool here...I dunno...atmo...whatever that means.

this should explain it atmo.
Old 07-21-2006, 08:22 AM
Not smart

Quote:

Kinda Like OJ Simpson's crusade to find "the real killers"?
Old 07-21-2006, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onekgguy

I thank Lance for his contributions to the sport I love. We should all be thanking Lance for helping to create an interest within America (read OLN) for cycling where little existed before he came along...say nothing for all his efforts toward fighting cancer. I applaud him...atmo...whatever that means.

Kevin
ATMO he's a fraud.....and a great bike racer, a cancer advocate, a rock star. But to me he is also a fraud.

LA from the podium

But finally the last thing I’ll say to the people who don’t believe in cycling, the cynics and the sceptics. I'm sorry for you. I’m sorry that you can’t dream big. I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles. But this is one hell of a race. This is a great sporting event and you should stand around and believe it. You should believe in these athletes, and you should believe in these people. I'll be a fan of the Tour de France for as long as I live. And there are no secrets - this is a hard sporting event and hard work wins it.

JG
Old 07-21-2006, 08:34 AM
Retired!

Lance has likely been tested for blood doping and enhancers more than any other cyclist in this decade. Where is the proof? Do any of you give genetics and a focus on training second to none any credit for his success? He's a human freak for sure but I'm not prepared to lable him a doper. atmo...I get it now.

Kevin