Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-13-2016, 03:58 PM

OT: Almost lost my pup this week...

I know we have a lot of pet owners here, so I thought I'd share.
I came way, way to close too losing one of my dogs this week. I gave him a bath Saturday, and he got really lethargic about two hours later. I thought he hurt himself somehow doing his post-bath frenzy. Sunday morning, he seemed a little worse. I called my vet, told him what happened, & asked if I should take him into the ER. He suggested a wait & see approach. Well, two hours later, it was clear I needed to take him in.
A fast ultrasound told us he had a mass and it was bleeding. Looking at surgery. They were able to stabilize him & he held on until the more experienced surgeon came in Monday morning (the weekend people did not want to go in since it looked like it involved a kidney. They were right.). The mass was not in the kidney, it was the adrenal gland but it was wrapped around the artery, so we lost the kidney, as well.
He came through it & is home recovering, but he is not happy. Pretty doped up. Eating in spurts, so I'm pleased with his progress. Now, we wait for the pathology report in about two weeks. I was told they were pleased when they opened him up that they didn't see anything that looked worrisome, but I won't relax until it's confirmed.
An awful (and expensive) week, but things are going in the right direction. So, please pay attention to the little changes in your little ones. I very easily could have tried to wait until Monday instead of taking him in, and I'm sure I would have lost him.

Last edited by makoti; 10-13-2016 at 07:49 PM.
Old 10-13-2016, 04:09 PM
aka RAEKWON

I am glad he seems to be recovering. We just had the vet over because our dog went to the yard and came back with his eye shut. Apparently he got something in his eye but he seems to be recovering. Can only open it for a little bit. He is also sick with some stomach thing which comes and goes. Poor fella. It is so hard with animals because you can't just ask them what is wrong.
Old 10-13-2016, 04:09 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Glad to hear that they think they've fixed him up. Sick pets are so painful.

Good Luck
Old 10-13-2016, 05:23 PM

Never fun when they are not well. Sounds like you made the right calll and just in time. Sending healing vibes your way!
Old 10-13-2016, 07:05 PM

Lost one with no explanation. Multipoo just 5. Lethargic, had hurt herself and a week before vet gave her a muscle relaxer. Week later dead due to red cell crash.............................glad yours will be ok. rough...
Old 10-13-2016, 07:17 PM
Administrator

makoti can i ask what breed?

we're going through some unfortunate circumstances with our pup too....
Old 10-13-2016, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
makoti can i ask what breed?

we're going through some unfortunate circumstances with our pup too....
He's some sort of Pekingese mix. He's about 6, I think. He got very slow, didn't want to eat, und=steady on his feet. When they did the US, they saw a lot of fluid. Drew some out & it was all blood.
Good luck. It is so hard when they can't tell you what is going on.
Old 10-13-2016, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulspinner View Post
Lost one with no explanation. Multipoo just 5. Lethargic, had hurt herself and a week before vet gave her a muscle relaxer. Week later dead due to red cell crash.............................glad yours will be ok. rough...
I'm so sorry. I've lost pets unexpectedly & knowing it was coming for months. It's not easy either way.
Old 10-13-2016, 08:33 PM

I'm glad everything worked out in the end for you. I also went through a similar situation this weekend. We found some blood in our cats urine on Saturday, after losing our other cat to Kidney disease 18 months ago. Took him to the vet on Saturday, and they thought kidney disease as the likely scenario since urinary tract infections are uncommon in older male cats. We had them do the recommended panels and then waited while medicating him via a shotgun approach with orbifloxacin as an antibiotic, Prazosin to relax his urethra (strangely a common PTSD medication), and Buprenorphine for pain.

On Tuesday after a lot of stress the lab results came in, it's a urinary tract infection. This was great news in this case. The Orbifloxacin should take care of the infection, and they'll test his urine after the two week run of antibiotics to verify.
Old 10-13-2016, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seric View Post
I'm glad everything worked out in the end for you. I also went through a similar situation this weekend. We found some blood in our cats urine on Saturday, after losing our other cat to Kidney disease 18 months ago. Took him to the vet on Saturday, and they thought kidney disease as the likely scenario since urinary tract infections are uncommon in older male cats. We had them do the recommended panels and then waited while medicating him via a shotgun approach with orbifloxacin as an antibiotic, Prazosin to relax his urethra (strangely a common PTSD medication), and Buprenorphine for pain.

On Tuesday after a lot of stress the lab results came in, it's a urinary tract infection. This was great news in this case. The Orbifloxacin should take care of the infection, and they'll test his urine after the two week run of antibiotics to verify.
I'm glad to hear that! Let's hope for a clean report.
Brackets isn't eating tonight, so I'm back in worry mode, but given everything he's been through, I'm not surprised that he's not hungry. Hopefully, that's all it is. It's going to be a long process back.
Old 10-13-2016, 11:07 PM

Hope everything continues getting better and better with your dog
Old 10-14-2016, 06:31 AM

glad you got some good news with him and that it sounds like all will be well! we've got two of our own and they are absolutely our children. dread the day that something like this comes to pass, so I totally feel for you.
Old 10-14-2016, 07:12 AM
Administrator

i wish i could add my pup to our health insurance policy! she is a dependent and all...
Old 10-14-2016, 07:12 AM

Wishing you and your pup all the best. Having been down this path a few brutal times I know what you are going though.
Old 10-14-2016, 08:55 AM
Shifty Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
i wish i could add my pup to our health insurance policy! she is a dependent and all...
We have pet insurance and it really has paid for itself. It's also nice to have absolutely no hesitation to bring her in with a suspected problem. So many dogs are so stoic and it's hard to tell when it's just something or really an issue.

Makatoi, sounds like you guys dodged a bullet. My mother-in-law just had to say goodbye to her 2nd dog in a year, leaving her with an empty house for the first time in 30 years.