Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-14-2006, 10:36 AM

home security/bike locking

I'm sure the majority of you own houses & garages, but for those of you renting - or in appartments, how do you lock your bikes? My gf's place got robbed, but she was thankful that her bike was at my place.

Currently I've been locking two bikes together in a locked closet in my apt, but wondering if there are better methods as I will be moving to a new place. (I've also locked my bike to my bed frame in the past...)

thanks,
deechee
Old 07-14-2006, 11:29 AM
Picshooter

For the longest time I didn't get overly worried, just kept them in my locked seperate from the house workshop. Lately though, I have been running a cable with a master lock on it, through two bikes and something to keep them from rolling them away, like a compressor or work cart. Even then it will only stop the amateur as there are enough tools close at hand to defeat any lock. Plus the key is handy.
I also have a sacrificial lamb, a Gary Fisher MTB. I think most kids would rather steal that anyway. I leave it unlocked.
I also have the usual motion lights and deadbolts.
My wife works at the cop shop and keeps me informed if there are any trends in the 'hood
Old 10-03-2010, 03:47 PM
More Cowbell!

i'm gonna have to bump this because i too am paranoid!

any cool ideas?
Old 10-03-2010, 04:18 PM

IF you don't mind doing a small drywall patch when you move... here is an excellent solution:

1) install 2 eye hooks into 2x4 studs (BIG eye hoods...) then buy a python cable/lock. They are made to lock ladders and other items to a truck, or lock enough itmes together than it is a cumbersome proposition to 'walk away' with your bikes. The reason an eye hook works is once it is IN the stud, it can't be unscrewed when a cable is threaded through it (esp if you use 2 eye hooks in 2 different studs) so it makes a fairly secure anchor. Mind you NOTHING will stop a thief with a portable 18v grinder... but it makes a casual snatch and grab a hard proposition. I have this system in my garage and it is easy to lock and unlock my bikes. Ask Paul, he has seen my setup - nothing fancy, just secure enough to make it hard to walk away with my bikes. I leave the tools out so they will get taken first... much easier to replace some tools...

Here:

http://www.fixnrenovate.com/Master-L...B000AYTHXM.htm

Last edited by Dekonick; 10-03-2010 at 04:21 PM.