Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-12-2016, 09:41 PM

Shoe Insoles

Either my cycling shoe insoles are breaking down or it's my old feet.

I run BOTH the factory insole AND Specialized Body Geometry insoles in my shoes. My feet have small volume and the extra insole eliminates the sloppy fit.

I've noticed lately that, beginning with 2 hours rides and longer, from the balls of my feet to the toes it feels like I'm pushing on concrete waffles.

I think with age we lose some padding in our feet so I'm suspecting that might be part of the problem.

But I guess whatever it is, it''s irrelevant. I NEED more cushioning underneath the balls of my feet on up to the toes.

Do insoles break down? I'd like to keep the Body Geometry insoles and thinking I just have to replace the factory insoles with something flat. Any suggestions?

Can I get away with something from Dr. Scholl's? Spenco? Any other brands? Where do I find them?

Thanks!
Old 07-12-2016, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter P. View Post

I run BOTH the factory insole AND Specialized Body Geometry insoles in my shoes. My feet have small volume and the extra insole eliminates the sloppy fit.

I've noticed lately that, beginning with 2 hours rides and longer, from the balls of my feet to the toes it feels like I'm pushing on concrete waffles.

I think with age we lose some padding in our feet so I'm suspecting that might be part of the problem.

But I guess whatever it is, it''s irrelevant. I NEED more cushioning underneath the balls of my feet on up to the toes.

Do insoles break down? I'd like to keep the Body Geometry insoles and thinking I just have to replace the factory insoles with something flat. Any suggestions?

Can I get away with something from Dr. Scholl's? Spenco? Any other brands? Where do I find them?

Thanks!

I like spec body geometry best. I like the metatarsal button.

I do have a pair of memory foam dr schools in my old sidis that work well. I don't remember the exact name of them, but they are blue, not crazy heavy like many that have gel, and ultra comfy.
Old 07-12-2016, 09:51 PM

I would suggest getting custom insoles made.
Old 07-13-2016, 07:38 AM

All foam breaks down over time, so yes, your Specialized insoles may be wearing out.

But, I agree with the other poster who suggested custom insoles. And since you mentioned you have small feet, you may even consider custom shoes.

I bit the bullet and bought a pair of semi-custom Riivos a couple years ago. I had spent so much time and money ordering shoes and sending them back, that I finally decided I'd rather just spend the money on shoes I know will fit. I liked them so much, I bought a second pair at the end of last year.

Yeah, custom shoes can be expensive, but when you consider how much one spends on a bicycle, and how much time I spend riding, it's worth it to make sure a major contact point is comfortable.
Old 07-13-2016, 07:41 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter P. View Post

Thanks!
You clinching your toes? Maybe an insole with meta tarsel bump to push up on the balls of your feet..helped me
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 263-medium_eSoles_CyclingInsole.jpg (8.1 KB, 197 views)
Old 07-13-2016, 08:22 AM

I used to get the same feeling on the balls of my feet. I solved it with the Specialized insoles, the high arch version.

Which height of the specialized insoles do you have? Have you tried a more supportive size?

Also, have you tried another brand? Something that might fit your foot better? Custom insoles aren't a bad idea, but I'd try a couple off the shelf insoles before I went that way.

IMHO, it's not a padding issue, it's a foot/arch support issue.

Chris
Old 07-13-2016, 02:39 PM

I've had good luck using the green Superfeet high volume insoles. They get very good reviews in the hiking communities.
Old 07-13-2016, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gngroup View Post
I would suggest getting custom insoles made.
Best money Ive ever spent on my feet. Mortons neuroma and all.
Old 07-13-2016, 03:04 PM

My input

What shoes are you using? You may need need more support not more cushioning. If you have have low volume feet you need narrow shoes which are pretty much Sidi and Specialized. I have A width feet and use the Specialized narrow shoes and have used Sidi in the past.

The difference between insole volume is very significant. I have used the eBike fit supportive which are not available now but you can get the G8 insoles that Steve Hogg likes per the link below. They do have US dealers also that you can pm me for or ask G8. These are high volume.

I am not a pro but have been thru this a lot on my own.

Feel free to pm me

I do have custom orthotics now that I can also provide a bit of guidance on as well.

Alan
Old 07-13-2016, 03:44 PM

I use carbon insoles that I molded to fit with heat. Works for me...
Old 07-13-2016, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cp43 View Post
I used to get the same feeling on the balls of my feet. I solved it with the Specialized insoles, the high arch version.

Which height of the specialized insoles do you have? Have you tried a more supportive size?

Also, have you tried another brand? Something that might fit your foot better? Custom insoles aren't a bad idea, but I'd try a couple off the shelf insoles before I went that way.

IMHO, it's not a padding issue, it's a foot/arch support issue.

Chris
I have very flat feet and use the lowest version (red) of the Body Geometry insoles. The next version up (blue) hurt my feet.

It's not a metatarsal issue-I DO like the bump- it's the ball of the foot and forward to the toes. I think it's a cushioning issue. You would think that with TWO insoles in the shoe that there would be adequate padding but, after several years, it feels like things have broken down.

I'm also inclined to blame my feet because I think as we age the feet break down as does any padding under the toes.

I don't feel I need support or custom insoles; I just need cushioning. It would also pain me to buy custom insoles because I'd have to buy them for TWO pairs of shoes. I agree about trying off-the-shelf options first, then considering custom. But what's available?

Thanks for all the responses so far.
Old 07-13-2016, 06:42 PM
kg

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtayBW View Post
I use carbon insoles that I molded to fit with heat. Works for me...
Interesting. Where did you get them?
Old 07-13-2016, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgreene10 View Post
Interesting. Where did you get them?
They're sold (or branded) by Lake. I got then when I purchased a new pair of Lake road shoes last year, but I had to buy them separately from the shoes and they were hard to source.
I got the Raven 0.3 CF inserts, reviewed here: http://www.bikerumor.com/2014/04/24/...ors-for-cross/ and here: http://redkiteprayer.com/2014/11/lak...n-0-3-insoles/. GL
Old 07-13-2016, 08:46 PM

Another idea for customization: http://store.acor.com/acor-top-cover...pon-code-free/

these are thin topcovers - the neosponge is very thin layer of dampening foam. Can just slide in your shoe or glue it to you insert.
Old 07-13-2016, 09:40 PM

Has any one tried these, a reasonable cost and 30 day return policy: http://www.sols.com/#/exosols

Last edited by m_sasso; 07-13-2016 at 09:43 PM.