Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-04-2016, 08:23 PM

Clipping in on Steep Inclines From Stopped Position

This is a barrier for me at the moment, and hurts me to see any riders I have been riding with ride off without me after being stopped at traffic lights...

Can you provide your tips and recommendations to master this art, including answers to the following:
  • How should i set the bike up immediately before I unclip as I approach a stop (gearing, pedal position, etc.)?
  • How should I prepare to clip in just before I want to clip in?
  • How should i clip in when ready to go?
  • What should i inspect before I start riding (cleat adjustments, pedal position at rest, etc.)?
  • What balancing technique should i employ?

I have Look KEO Pedals.

There are no posts to hang onto either.

I cannot stay stationary whilst clipped in and have no intention of learning this strategy.

Splash

Last edited by Splash; 06-04-2016 at 08:26 PM.
Old 06-04-2016, 08:28 PM

Go down to a lower gear.

Depending on how good you are at clipping in id start with my right leg (my dominant leg) at the 3 o'clock position and step down a big step.

Use my heel on my left leg (the unclipped foot) to pedal a couple revolutions to get a little momentum and then clip in.

Gear up and smoke your friends up the hill
Old 06-04-2016, 08:29 PM
Lanterne rouge

I always start with my clipped in foot just starting to push on the downstroke. When the other pedal is on the way up, hit it. Its really just muscle memory. Takes practice.
Old 06-04-2016, 08:35 PM

Thanks guys,

I always ensure I am in the lowest gear before I unclip and always start off in the lowest gear, but still have issues - on steep inclines.

How do you combat the steep incline gradient from a stopped position - any change to your technique?

Splash

Last edited by Splash; 06-04-2016 at 08:39 PM.
Old 06-04-2016, 08:36 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Don't stop at the light.

(someone had to say it)

Assuming there's a cross-road going all the way through the intersection, you can try to angle the bike to the right and begin to head down the cross street - that usually can reduce the grade quite a bit and make it easier to get some forward momentum.
Old 06-04-2016, 08:37 PM
Veni Veloce Vomiti

Well,,,,, How steep is 'steep'? I mean if it's 10% or more, I'd actually try not to stop right 'there' and get to some place where I could at least 'one-leg' it for a bit. By that I mean, just stay clipped in on your one side and ratchet-pedal with that leg while pushing off with the unclipped side. Do that for a few 1/4-pedal (not completely all the way around , just partial) strokes with the clipped in leg until you get a bit of momentum, then clip in. Also get in your lowest or almost lowest gear before you stop pedaling.

If you are a bit unsure, get to a slightly inclined area and do some testing on your own or with only one riding buddy. Graduate to steeper starts as you become more familiar with how your body/bike reacts as the inclines increase.

Mike in AR
Old 06-04-2016, 09:21 PM

Pedal a few strokes without clipping in the unclipped foot. Put a small piece of non-skid on the bottom of the pedal to help with grip (skateboard deck stuff).
Old 06-04-2016, 09:30 PM

It's just practice. I've had to do it at up to 20% when I was under geared for mountain climbs. Dominant leg at 1-2 o'clock, check the other pedal to make sure it's oriented upside down when it's in the 7-8 o'clock position, push and go.

Doing 1 leg pedal drills helps too as you get used to riding with one foot.
Old 06-04-2016, 09:35 PM

Stop in a low gear, but not the lowest.

It doesn't matter where your pedals are when you stop. When you start, begin with one foot at 2 o'clock. Drive that one down, standing on it, and when the other pedal come up to top clip in and push down in one smooth motion.

Okay, it might not be all that smooth the first try. But if you miss you can carefully mash down unclipped with your heel far enough to pull the clipped pedal around to try again.

The reason to use a stiffer starting gear is so that initial pedal push gets you enough momentum to give you time to clip the other. And yes do stand for this. Gives your unclipped foot a better angle on the pedal and more flexibility to find it.

The bit to practice is nailing the clip in. Eventually it becomes instinctive and deft. Eventually.
Old 06-04-2016, 09:40 PM
The B!

You could switch to mtb with rubber-soled shoes.. You can pedal pretty much indefinitely without being clipped it without fear of slipping off.

Otherwise, as everyone has said.... One-leg pedal, or just pedal carefully till you're in. I know SPDSL was a real PITA for me to learn to stop and start on, but I got used to it in a month or so. Now I generally snap right in place first placement on the pedal. You'll get it eventually... Practice practice.
Old 06-04-2016, 09:47 PM

Thanks Guys.

good advice.

Splash

Last edited by Splash; 06-04-2016 at 09:49 PM.
Old 06-04-2016, 09:49 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splash View Post
I cannot stay stationary whilst clipped in and have no intention of learning this strategy.
You should learn to track stand. There is no reason not to and it can come in handy in different situations. It's easiest to do on a climb. Learn in your sneakers and progress from there.
Old 06-05-2016, 12:24 AM

To clip in there are two key things to remember:
1. Do NOT push off with the foot on the ground. Push down with the foot in the pedal. Your clipped in foot has a pretty reliable coefficient of friction, i.e. it's not going to slip, and it'll get you going much further than a skateboard type foot push. The foot on the ground could slip whenever especially with road cleats, plus it won't get you moving as quickly or as far.
2. Do not use your lowest gear by default, unless it's not very low. You'll "spin out" the gear too quickly and make it hard to clip in the other foot.k

Track stands will take many people about 10-15 minutes to learn shakily, maybe 30-60 minutes to be pretty fluent. I'm basing this on teaching others how to track stand. I can go into road specific track stands if you want. They are different from actual track stands. You do not need to be able to balance a bike any more than you need to balance the bike to ride it. The same principles that you use to keep your bike upright when you're riding are the exact same principles necessary to keep the bike upright for a road type track stand.

For the record I'm about as klutzy as can be but I can track stand on the road. Done right it takes very little effort on a flattish road, a slight bit of muscular effort on a hill. Tons of effort on a downhill.
Old 06-05-2016, 12:34 AM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpediemracing View Post
Done right it takes very little effort on a flattish road, a slight bit of muscular effort on a hill. Tons of effort on a downhill.
I can't track-stand but I'm pretty sure that in terms of skill required to do it, it's easier on a hill than on a perfectly flat surface because you can use gravity to "push" against and rock back and forth over a short distance. At least I think I've read that somewhere.
Old 06-05-2016, 12:39 AM

Clipping in on Steep Inclines From Stopped Position

Practice.

The only way I have been able to do it over the years is by riding a regular route that requires a dismount and clip in on a steep. I was terrible at the start!

Stay relaxed in your arms and shoulders.

Use dominate leg first, for better balance.

Push off and balance with dominate leg to 6 o clock. (Use a middle gear to balance, the gear that can support your body smoothly with a one leg push off)

With little momentum, Lift up that other foot, Get clipped in on first attempt .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk