Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-13-2016, 11:49 PM
doomsday device

Has anyone used a campagnolo 11 chain on an otherwise Shimano drivetrain

So I came from Campy 10 where I was used to chains lasting for thousands and thousands of miles through rain and dust without noise or other issues to 11 shimano on a cross bike that probably sees more pavement than dirt. I dont know how many miles I have on this ultegra chain but I cant seem to keep it clean or lubed well enough, it sounds like crap and I'm sure it needs to be replaced.

How are the 11 speed campy chains compared to 10? Can I use a chorus 11 chain on an otherwise Ultegra drivetrain without any real issue?
Old 04-14-2016, 12:06 AM

In regards to will it work, I haven't tried it but think it most likely will. If know one has experience, you might need to give it a test and see.

I did the exact opposite on one bike - Campy 11 drivetrain, and switching to an Ultegra 11 chain ran best. With Campy and KMC chains, there was always an issue with not being able to fine tune every gear combination and have perfect up & downshifts in every gear. There was always one gear that would chatter when shifting. I switched to an Ultegra chan, and it's been smooth sailing since.
Old 04-14-2016, 06:40 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavel View Post
So I came from Campy 10 where I was used to chains lasting for thousands and thousands of miles through rain and dust without noise or other issues to 11 shimano on a cross bike that probably sees more pavement than dirt. I dont know how many miles I have on this ultegra chain but I cant seem to keep it clean or lubed well enough, it sounds like crap and I'm sure it needs to be replaced.

How are the 11 speed campy chains compared to 10? Can I use a chorus 11 chain on an otherwise Ultegra drivetrain without any real issue?
Chorus and Record only, more expensive than the shimano equivalent. BUT really nice chains, work well with any 11s system.
Old 04-16-2016, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmf View Post
In regards to will it work, I haven't tried it but think it most likely will. If know one has experience, you might need to give it a test and see.

I did the exact opposite on one bike - Campy 11 drivetrain, and switching to an Ultegra 11 chain ran best. With Campy and KMC chains, there was always an issue with not being able to fine tune every gear combination and have perfect up & downshifts in every gear. There was always one gear that would chatter when shifting. I switched to an Ultegra chan, and it's been smooth sailing since.
Unlikely it was a chain issue. Far more likely basic set-up.

Usually we find flaky shifting is down to H screw setting if the rest of the set up is OK.