Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-28-2016, 10:35 AM

How does handling change as bike size changes?

I can ride a 56 or 58 in a variety of bikes as I can theoretically get the same contact points. Aside from the look of the bikes, how would the handling change? I've never done a side by side comparison of a bike to see and am just curious and since this is a bike forum with amazing knowledge of these types of questions I figured I would post it here. My natural inclination is to go for the larger size bike because there's less seatpost/stem etc.
Old 01-28-2016, 10:53 AM
Administrator

I can ride a bike in the range of a 54cm to 56cm top tube and have owned bikes at both ends of this range. For the most part, I like being on the smaller end of this spectrum. I simply like the way the smaller bike feels under me. There some issues that come up going smaller in my range, such as tow overlap and the HTA is often a bit slacker. However, in the 56cm to 58cm range, I don't think you would have to deal with either of these issues.

I'm sure others can chime in and get all technical on this question, but smaller feels better to me.

Edit: BTW, if you do an Internet search of "small vs large bike frame", you'll get more than you may care to read about.
Old 01-28-2016, 11:01 AM

this is pretty personal, but I like a large-for-me frame
Old 01-28-2016, 11:03 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeheeb View Post
this is pretty personal, but I like a large-for-me frame
Very true and I know other folks who are like you that feel better on the larger end of their scale.
Old 01-28-2016, 11:10 AM
The B!

I also like a smaller frame... and since I'm already small, that means TCO is more like WFO (whole foot overlap). I also have had some problems with my knees hitting the handlebars if I get a little out of sync on a sprint, and getting rake/trail dialed in seems to be even more critical, when your center of gravity moves that far forward.

One thing I've never really seen addressed is flex and tube sizing. With carbon, seems like this is possibly addressed in framebuilding... maybe in really higher-end carbon frame building anyway.. but for metal bikes, tube thickness is tube thickness. They don't use wider tubes just because they're building for a giant, so it seems to me like smaller frames should be way stiffer than bigger frames. But I'm generally thinking about this when I'm looking at my XS Ti bike leaning next to my bros' L and XL Ti bikes. I doubt there's much noticeable flex difference in just one size jump.

But since little guys can't ride huge frames and vice versa... isn't this also kinda like theorizing about sensory perception differences?
Old 01-28-2016, 11:20 AM

Isn't there also change in the fore-aft distribution. Smaller frame means longer stem which means weight is centered further forward?
Old 01-28-2016, 11:36 AM

No "scientific" input, but I started out on a XXL (61cm C2T ST) Scott CR1, then moved to the "same frame" (different year) in XL (58) and noticed a discernible difference in lateral flex (less) in the front triangle of the smaller frame. Liked that better.

Have to make stack and reach adjustments for the smaller frame - no slammed stems w/o "tall" HT option - but have selected 57.5/58 for all subsequent frames. Horizontal top tubes give me about 1.5-2 fists of post. Slanted TTs 2.5-3.0 depending on slope.
Old 01-28-2016, 12:14 PM
PezTech

Strictly speaking, this isn't a question of "SIZE"...

It's a question about geometry...

Without knowing the geometry (especially the Head and seat angle, fork rake and wheel base), Talking "size" is talking around the real question.

Last edited by Charles M; 01-28-2016 at 12:17 PM.
Old 01-28-2016, 12:22 PM

"Handling" is the result of a bunch of dimensions that can almost be completely independent of the fit of the contact points to the rider. As you stated, you can fit on a 56 or a 58 of the same model.

But think of it another way: The handling of a single model and size for two different riders won't significantly change UNLESS the weight distribution between the wheels changes. 2cm more stem, lift the seatpost up a little more, no problem. The wheelbase, front center, trail, weight distribution being the same, the handling feel will be almost identical.

What happens when you take the rider and change the size? Assume the saddle stays in the same place relative to the BB, the top tube grows, making for a shorter stem. Makers try to keep the handling similar, so maybe a steeper HTA to help keep wheelbase and FC similar, but trail decreases? Your weight distribution will change with any changes to FC and/or chainstay length. Can't say for sure whether it'll be more ponderous or twitchy (note: I intentionally used the "negative" terms for the opposing ends of the handling spectrum). The sum of the changes will tell the tale.
Old 01-28-2016, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The B View Post
One thing I've never really seen addressed is flex and tube sizing. With carbon, seems like this is possibly addressed in framebuilding... maybe in really higher-end carbon frame building anyway.. but for metal bikes, tube thickness is tube thickness. They don't use wider tubes just because they're building for a giant, so it seems to me like smaller frames should be way stiffer than bigger frames. But I'm generally thinking about this when I'm looking at my XS Ti bike leaning next to my bros' L and XL Ti bikes. I doubt there's much noticeable flex difference in just one size jump.
Metal bike builders have varied tube sizing (diameter, wall thickness) according to bike size for a long time. If you look at the tube sets available from the tube manufacturers, you'll see that they often offer the same tube (say, down tube or seat tube) in both different diameters and different wall thicknesses, and even sometimes in different cross-sectional shapes. A good bike designer will select the appropriate tube sizes for the frame. Dependiing on joinery method, a designer may even select different tubes from completely different tube sets.
Old 01-28-2016, 12:52 PM
The B!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
Metal bike builders have varied tube sizing (diameter, wall thickness) according to bike size for a long time. If you look at the tube sets available from the tube manufacturers, you'll see that they often offer the same tube (say, down tube or seat tube) in both different diameters and different wall thicknesses, and even sometimes in different cross-sectional shapes. A good bike designer will select the appropriate tube sizes for the frame. Dependiing on joinery method, a designer may even select different tubes from completely different tube sets.
Are you talking custom? I've ever noticed any tube diameter differences in factory bikes, with different sizes... but I've also not really looked that hard.
Old 01-28-2016, 12:56 PM
PezTech

Most top shelf models will have differentiated tube sizes and wall thickness for different size...

That's mostly an equalizer though.

The geometry is the important consideration and that will also vary by size and model...

The key isn't a generic difference in SIZE...

You need to determine what kind of handling you like and determine what Geometry gives you that...

And it will be different for different people...

This thread is a bit of a trick / misleading question...
Old 01-28-2016, 01:44 PM

You won't know unless you ride

Proper fit isn't decided in numbers.

You're not going to know unless you build up each bike using the contact points, and ride each for several hours. You might surprise yourself and find that you have a very strong opinion in the end. Take your time, for there is indeed a difference between two adjacent bike sizes.

Just about anything is endurable for a two hour ride. But by hour six that nice stretch in your shoulder, lower back and pelvis that you started out with on the larger frame at the beginning of the day might turn into sharp pains by the time the ride is over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose8 View Post
My natural inclination is to go for the larger size bike because there's less seatpost/stem etc.
Old 01-28-2016, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckinthecity View Post
Proper fit isn't decided in numbers.

You're not going to know unless you build up each bike using the contact points, and ride each for several hours. You might surprise yourself and find that you have a very strong opinion in the end. Take your time, for there is indeed a difference between two adjacent bike sizes.

Just about anything is endurable for a two hour ride. But by hour six that nice stretch in your shoulder, lower back and pelvis that you started out with on the larger frame at the beginning of the day might turn into sharp pains by the time the ride is over.
Why would you have a "stretch in your shoulder, lower back and pelvis" on the larger frame if you set up the contact points the same on both frames?
Old 01-28-2016, 02:23 PM

hmm as a lover of used bikes

i've ridden 54 to 58, and the obvious stuff is most apparent INDEPENDENT of frame size--fork trail and HTA on the handling quickness or stability, short chain stays or shorter wheelbase-- these are more theoretical impacts as I honestly don't think i can ride hard enough to notice a difference in turning for a change in wheelbase, but i definitely climb a bit better with shorter stays (having moved same wheels and same gearing on several bikes).