Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-29-2015, 07:55 PM

Schwalbe Pro One Tubeless

So the long awaited 2016 version of the Schwalbe One tubeless tire known as the PRO version is finally on the shelves. It's been getting some excellent reviews and scored very highly on the rolling resistance rests.

http://www.bicyclerollingresistance....-tubeless-2016

The 23 mm was available first and more recently the 28mm. Unfortunately it doesn't look like the 25mm won't be around till at least February. Bummer as that was the size I had my eye on.

Is anyone here running the new Pro One yet? If so, what size and how do the measure up? (both actually and figuratively)
Old 12-29-2015, 09:10 PM
Soy Un Perdedor

I was recently running the Pro One Tubeless on a set of HED Ardennes +. They measured at 31.6mm. I like em. Will be running them on the new set of wheels I'm having built.
Old 12-30-2015, 07:27 AM

I'm assuming that was the 28mm size that ran at 31.6mm?

I wonder if the other sizes are equally oversized.
Old 12-30-2015, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddsaabs View Post
I'm assuming that was the 28mm size that ran at 31.6mm?

I wonder if the other sizes are equally oversized.
It measured that wide because he was running it on a wide rim. I've been riding the standard Schwalbe Ones in 25mm on a set of campy zonda wheels (19mm or so width) and they were a little on the small side of 25.
Old 12-30-2015, 08:55 AM
Soy Un Perdedor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
It measured that wide because he was running it on a wide rim. I've been riding the standard Schwalbe Ones in 25mm on a set of campy zonda wheels (19mm or so width) and they were a little on the small side of 25.
Yeah, the Ardennes + are wide width rims at 20.5mm internal/25mm external diameter.
Old 12-30-2015, 10:41 AM

I'm planning on running them on the newer Pacenti SL23 with an internal width of 20.3. One would expect that I'd see similar results with the 28mm.

Anyone running the 23mm on wider rims like the Ardennes or SL23? This particular frame doesn't have a ton of clearance and now I'm wondering if the 25mm size will bee too big.
Old 12-30-2015, 01:43 PM
Soy Un Perdedor

Quote:
I'm planning on running them on the newer Pacenti SL23 with an internal width of 20.3. One would expect that I'd see similar results with the 28mm.

Anyone running the 23mm on wider rims like the Ardennes or SL23? This particular frame doesn't have a ton of clearance and now I'm wondering if the 25mm size will bee too big.
Yes, you will likley see a 28mm tire grow to a width of at least 31mm on your rim after it stretches out over a day or two. You might be better served by the 23mm tire, as it will likely grow to about 25mm or so on your rim, if you have significant clearance issues. Expect 2 to 3mm growth with that internal rim width.
Old 12-30-2015, 06:28 PM

The 23s measure around 26mm on my 25mm rims (21mm internal).

What are you all using for valves? I picked up some Orange Seal valves, since they were the only 80mm valves I found at the time, and they have been pretty much awful. I cannot get them to seal against the rim reliably.
Old 12-30-2015, 06:39 PM
but not really

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinci View Post
The 23s measure around 26mm on my 25mm rims (21mm internal).

What are you all using for valves? I picked up some Orange Seal valves, since they were the only 80mm valves I found at the time, and they have been pretty much awful. I cannot get them to seal against the rim reliably.
I've been successful with the stans and shrank, but neither are long enough for 30+mm deep rims. You could use a valve extender with the stans. Also, double check your tape job around the valve. Maybe that could be better.

What tubeless rims do you have that are so deep and wide?
Old 12-30-2015, 06:42 PM

There are 25s available on eBay. I just bought a set of the S-One @ 30c for my adventure bike. And plan to use the Pro-One on my road bike after my current tires wear out. And the same for the G-One on a 2nd set of wheels on the adventure bike after the OEM tires wear out.
Old 12-30-2015, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old fat man View Post
I've been successful with the stans and shrank, but neither are long enough for 30+mm deep rims. You could use a valve extender with the stans. Also, double check your tape job around the valve. Maybe that could be better.

What tubeless rims do you have that are so deep and wide?
I have 55mm deep carbon rims from Light-Bicycle.

I looked into extenders, and use them with latex tubes now, but they aren't threaded, so they wouldn't let you tighten them down against the rim for tubeless.
Old 12-30-2015, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSpoke View Post
There are 25s available on eBay. I just bought a set of the S-One @ 30c for my adventure bike. And plan to use the Pro-One on my road bike after my current tires wear out. And the same for the G-One on a 2nd set of wheels on the adventure bike after the OEM tires wear out.
I saw the 25's on ebay, but also noticed they are coming from Taiwan. That sort of rang a warning for me that they might not be the real deal. Have you bought from that seller before and found them to be authentic?
Old 12-30-2015, 08:54 PM
but not really

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinci View Post
I have 55mm deep carbon rims from Light-Bicycle.

I looked into extenders, and use them with latex tubes now, but they aren't threaded, so they wouldn't let you tighten them down against the rim for tubeless.
Gotcha, right, the whole "shaft" would need to be threaded to pull the valve snug on the inside of the rim. Not sure how deep your rims are, but how about these?

https://goo.gl/uxX0IE
or
http://goo.gl/HGsftN
Old 12-30-2015, 09:07 PM

Quote:
I saw the 25's on ebay, but also noticed they are coming from Taiwan. That sort of rang a warning for me that they might not be the real deal. Have you bought from that seller before and found them to be authentic?
I agree w/you on that = though probably a little hard to counterfeit right now. I had put those on my watch list though I'm not quire ready to buy right now but will delete the listing. There were a lot of 25s available just a couple of weeks ago but they seem to have been snatched up quick. The rest of the line is just now becoming available it seems. I got the S-Ones from a US seller and can't wait to try them out.
Old 12-31-2015, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old fat man View Post
Gotcha, right, the whole "shaft" would need to be threaded to pull the valve snug on the inside of the rim. Not sure how deep your rims are, but how about these?

https://goo.gl/uxX0IE
or
http://goo.gl/HGsftN
Those would be too short for my 55mm rims. Stan's does seem to make threaded extenders, but man are they pricy. Pair them with some Stan's valves and I'm in for close to $45 (Amazon), haha.