Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-04-2015, 01:43 AM

Dura Ace 7900 Freewheel Issue

A little back story, noticed my chain skipping under load. After several attempts to diagnosed issue and ready to throw in the towel. For some reason i can recall, i removed the rear tire and had the Eureka moment. I dissembled the hub in the hopes it was a inexpensive fix. I need to replaced the Freewheel body since it doesn't always engage. Looking around the web the replacement body is almost the same price of complete hub. Anybody have a link to a less expensive replacement like half the price or a cheaper alternative that would work on the hub. Thanks in advance.

Nick

https://smartbikeparts.com/search_de...?itm=Y3D898060

Update 1.29.2016:

Thanks to a member on here i picked up a complete hub. Finally had some time to do the freewheel body swap, all when well. I had my LBS swap the freewheel body since i don't have a big enough allen to remove it. The freewheel spun nice and smooth, so i reassembled it. Checked again to make sure it all spin without issue, installed the cassette and took it for a ride. 20 miles into the ride my skewer broke and shootout and i come to a complete stop (It felt like someone grab my bike). Once home i started the task of disassembling the hub and notice it's bind up, won't freewheel or spin while holding the axle ends. I had to grind the left side cone to be able grab it with a adjustable wrench, one loose the freewheel spun like normal. So what did i do wrong?

Last edited by NickR; 01-29-2016 at 09:57 PM. Reason: New Issue
Old 12-04-2015, 07:18 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickR View Post
A little back story, noticed my chain skipping under load. After several attempts to diagnosed issue and ready to throw in the towel. For some reason i can recall, i removed the rear tire and had the Eureka moment. I dissembled the hub in the hopes it was a inexpensive fix. I need to replaced the Freewheel body since it doesn't always engage. Looking around the web the replacement body is almost the same price of complete hub. Anybody have a link to a less expensive replacement like half the price or a cheaper alternative that would work on the hub. Thanks in advance.

Nick

https://smartbikeparts.com/search_de...?itm=Y3D898060
Have you tried to remove, take the seal off the back, flush and light lube?(I use Mobil One)..It's a simple 2 pawl system. Maybe one is just stuck down.

Titanium so expensive.
Old 12-04-2015, 07:30 AM

Is this the freewheel that everyone says is the "best freewheel ever made," and "there's nothing made today with anything like that level of quality"?
Old 12-04-2015, 07:38 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by palincss View Post
Is this the freewheel that everyone says is the "best freewheel ever made," and "there's nothing made today with anything like that level of quality"?
Think it's the 'freehub' body, since he mentioned '7900'.
Old 12-04-2015, 09:44 AM

Like OldPotatoe said, first step is to try to clean/lube the one you have. You can often wake up the sleepy pawl and get back on the road.

Otherwise, your best option is to find an old hub with a good FHB. Lots of 10s (7900) hubs have been obsoleted by 11s and will be cheaper than a new FHB replacement. Or just buy a DA9000 hub and rebuild the wheel for about the same $$$ as the replacement FHB.

I have a (useless to me) 7900 rear with a good FHB I'd sell cheap...
Old 12-04-2015, 10:39 AM

Check to see if the 6700/5700 freehubs are compatible. No Ti, but if they fit, it's a 30 dollar freehub.
Old 12-04-2015, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Have you tried to remove, take the seal off the back, flush and light lube?(I use Mobil One)..It's a simple 2 pawl system. Maybe one is just stuck down.

Titanium so expensive.
I'll give that a try

Quote:
Originally Posted by Look585 View Post
Like OldPotatoe said, first step is to try to clean/lube the one you have. You can often wake up the sleepy pawl and get back on the road.

Otherwise, your best option is to find an old hub with a good FHB. Lots of 10s (7900) hubs have been obsoleted by 11s and will be cheaper than a new FHB replacement. Or just buy a DA9000 hub and rebuild the wheel for about the same $$$ as the replacement FHB.

I have a (useless to me) 7900 rear with a good FHB I'd sell cheap...
Interested, pm coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorbacon View Post
Check to see if the 6700/5700 freehubs are compatible. No Ti, but if they fit, it's a 30 dollar freehub.
Not sure if they are compatible and couldn't find any info on the web. The reason for posting here, hoping someone had experience with swapping FHB from another model saving $$$
Old 12-04-2015, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post

Titanium so expensive.
By flush, i take it with compress air? or WD-40?
Old 01-29-2016, 09:52 PM

bump
Old 01-29-2016, 10:17 PM

WD-40, diesel, etc...
Old 01-29-2016, 10:18 PM

The wheel bearings and freehub both bound up?

And with a simple loosening of the wheel bearing non drive side cone both freed up?

Hmmm, the easiest explanation is that one of the wheel bearing cones unlocked from its locknut and crept inwards preloading the bearings till they where seized.

However

I don't think that this would seize the freehub as well

the free hub bearings are not adjustable and shouldn't be effected by the preload of the wheel bearings.

The freehub has a washer between it and the hub shell, if it is missing than normally the freehub just seizes up as soon as you tighten up the huge hollow Allen bolt that holds it onto the hub shell.

If for some reason the large hollow bolt that attaches the freehub to the hub shell came loose it might cause the problem you are having.

If someone forgot the washer or used the wrong one than perhaps they didn't torque the freehub down properly to keep it from seizing.

So, either the freehub came loose or the cup and cones tightened up.

I'm betting the freehub came loose, it explains the bearing and freehub seizing more easily than just the hub bearings.

Get the huge Allen wrench and do it yourself this time.

IMHO

Last edited by bicycletricycle; 01-29-2016 at 10:21 PM.
Old 01-29-2016, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicycletricycle View Post
The wheel bearings and freehub both bound up?
Yes

Quote:
And with a simple loosening of the wheel bearing non drive side cone both freed up?
Yes

Quote:
Hmmm, the easiest explanation is that one of the wheel bearing cones unlocked from its locknut and crept inwards preloading the bearings till they where seized.
That might be the case, i though i double checked the bearing adjusted was on right. From the looks of it, the bearings wore into where they get seated and seized after a while. In hindsight I do recall a tick when spinning the wheel prior to installing on bike.

Quote:
However

I don't think that this would seize the freehub as well

the free hub bearings are not adjustable and shouldn't be effected by the preload of the wheel bearings.

The freehub has a washer between it and the hub shell, if it is missing than normally the freehub just seizes up as soon as you tighten up the huge hollow Allen bolt that holds it onto the hub shell.

If for some reason the large hollow bolt that attaches the freehub to the hub shell came loose it might cause the problem you are having.

If someone forgot the washer or used the wrong one than perhaps they didn't torque the freehub down properly to keep it from seizing.

So, either the freehub came loose or the cup and cones tightened up.

I'm betting the freehub came loose, it explains the bearing and freehub seizing more easily than just the hub bearings.

Get the huge Allen wrench and do it yourself this time.

IMHO
Old 01-30-2016, 06:43 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickR View Post
I'll give that a try

Interested, pm coming

Not sure if they are compatible and couldn't find any info on the web. The reason for posting here, hoping someone had experience with swapping FHB from another model saving $$$
Lower end FH bodies are not compatible with other hubs, like a 6700 into a 7900, type thing. shimano has always made hubs 'in triangles'..in that they are designed and built w/o any intercompatibility built in..
Old 01-30-2016, 07:58 AM

The bearing race on the driveside is integral to the freehub body, right? So if the bearings seize the freehub body will no longer ratchet. That is my guess.

Believe it or not I have overhauled a shimano freehub body. I was able to find a drag link socket that fit perfectly with minimal grinding. Not rocket science. If you can overhaul a campy shifter you can do this.
Old 01-30-2016, 08:02 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc031699 View Post
The bearing race on the driveside is integral to the freehub body, right? So if the bearings seize the freehub body will no longer ratchet. That is my guess.

Believe it or not I have overhauled a shimano freehub body. I was able to find a drag link socket that fit perfectly with minimal grinding. Not rocket science. If you can overhaul a campy shifter you can do this.
I have too, have this..that race is left threaded-righty-loosey. Watch the bearing balls..1/8 inch and a bunch of them.
Attached Images
File Type: gif freehubtool.gif (5.8 KB, 64 views)