Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-29-2015, 10:42 AM

Anyone following the MotoGP?

Wow, what a battle between Rossi, who's leading in points and Marquez at the Malaysian GP. I don't think Rossi intended to take out Marquez, just slow him down while he had the better line? The race direction has "imposed three penalty points on Valentino Rossi for irresponsible riding, that is, deliberately causing contact. Deliberately running wide in a corner in order to try and force another rider off line. The result was a crash and so it痴 irresponsible riding causing a crash and for that we have imposed three penalty points on Rossi." The last race in Valencia will be something to watch!
Old 10-29-2015, 01:56 PM

Following this, though my main motorsport interests are land speed racing, Indycar, F1, and whatever the WEC is now called.

Consensus seems to be that Marquez was deliberately impeding Rossi in order to help Lorenzo.

Good article my Matt Oxley (with many comments) here:
http://www.motorsportmagazine.com/ra...pang-incident/

Are you watching the events in the US and, if so, through what medium?
Old 10-29-2015, 04:24 PM
Head to Ned

Marquez is playing games with the wrong world champion. Good for Val for helping to show the kid the error of his ways. I just love self 'policing' practices

Gonna be one hell of a season finale
Old 10-29-2015, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimD View Post
Consensus seems to be that Marquez was deliberately impeding Rossi in order to help Lorenzo.

Are you watching the events in the US and, if so, through what medium?
He was deliberately impeding Rossi, and this was not the first time.
Yes, watching in the US on FSI
Old 10-29-2015, 06:18 PM

As a VR46 fan since the early 2000s I'm completely bias but Marquez got aggressive with the wrong rider at the completely wrong time.

The biggest shame IMO is Rossi having to start at the back of the grid. Justice would be the entire field parting like the red sea when the lights go out and Rossi being allowed to race for the championship.
What is going to happen is nothing more than the FIM gifting Lorenzo the championship.
Old 10-29-2015, 06:24 PM

Its such a poor decision about placing rossi at the back, not only cause i want rossi to win yet another trophy but regardless i want to c the 2 potential champions side by side battling for it.

Something like in 09 would be a fitting ending to the season.
Remember this:

Pretty amazing stuff to watch!
Old 10-29-2015, 06:28 PM

I'm a big fan of MotoGP. From high to low in 8 days. I definitely lean to the Rossi perspective of the situation.
Old 10-29-2015, 07:04 PM

Is all that fire coming from the tailpipe a good thing? Oh, yes...

I remember in the 80s when all of the top riders had to know how to slide the front and rear tires on 500 two strokes of the era because the tires only lasted for half of the races. Those races were crazy to watch.

Lawson, Spencer, Mamola, Rainey, Swantz, etc. The only european that would run close was that french guy (somebody help me out).

I just can't like the modern version as much, even though I have tried.

Ever since Honda changed their bike around to suit Dani Pedrosa by introducing traction control even though Nicky Hayden was Honda's reigning world champion. And could slide that bad boy around just fine thank you. And win.

Similar comparison with Grand Prix motor racing. The early 80's had ground effects and turbo motors producing over 1000 hp in qualifying (not at the same time).

I like the modern racing, but for old fashioned hair raising freakishness, there really is no comparison.
Old 10-29-2015, 07:26 PM
Head to Ned

[QUOTE=Bstone;1850833]I remember in the 80s when all of the top riders had to know how to slide the front and rear tires on 500 two strokes of the era because the tires only lasted for half of the races. Those races were crazy to watch.

Lawson, Spencer, Mamola, Rainey, Swantz, etc. The only european that would run close was that french guy (somebody help me out).

I just can't like the modern version as much, even though I have tried.

Ever since Honda changed their bike around to suit Dani Pedrosa by introducing traction control even though Nicky Hayden was Honda's reigning world champion. And could slide that bad boy around just fine thank you. And win.

Similar comparison with Grand Prix motor racing. The early 80's had ground effects and turbo motors producing over 1000 hp in qualifying (not at the same time).I like the modern racing, but for old fashioned hair raising freakishness, there really is no comparison.[/

QUOTE]

Jean-Michel Bayle

I agree, the old 500 2-stroke GP bikes were the best. Few riders ever really mastered them that weren't former dirt racers because of the need to be sliding almost continuously. Anyone remember the wheelie show with King Kenny and Randy @ Laguna in around '84 or '85? Simply unbelievable

And though it is not remotely the same thing, my '85 replica Yamaha RZ500 sure is great fun
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rzbike.jpg (34.1 KB, 104 views)

Last edited by witcombusa; 10-29-2015 at 07:48 PM. Reason: add pic
Old 10-29-2015, 08:52 PM
Veni Veloce Vomiti

Bicycle racing buddy of mine just sold an '89 CB900 that was hogged out to 1000 and had side-draft Mikunis. He still has a 650 Hawk, Yamaha FJR and an F1. So, yeah, I'm following.

Watched replays of the 'incident' from different angles. 'Kinnnnnnda' looked like Rossi did extend his left foot out toward the brake pedal on Marquez' bike, but ya really couldn't see if he touched him or not. Marquez just went down. Almost like he faked getting hit.

Yeah. I'm a Rossi fan, but it sure is gonna suck if Whiner Marquez' antics end up throwing the world championship. Marquez is a much less-polished rider. He's always slinging the bike around and not being smooth. That's why he's crashed out of so many races this year.

Maybe we can hope for rain in Spain for the finale'. We all know who can handle the wet best.

Mike in AR
Old 10-29-2015, 09:07 PM

I'm a Rossi fan, but honestly was a little disappointed with how he's been acting this past week. It seems like he cracked on Sunday.

I'm hoping for a herculean effort in Valencia so he gets that 10th title, but I'm not holding my breath. Seems like it's over.
Old 10-29-2015, 10:08 PM
Cat 6

I think the French rider you are referring to is Christian Sarron. He also had a brother who raced as well - Dominique. Bayle was more early to late 90's.

Marquez broke one of the the unwritten rules of racing- and that is don't get in the way of the championship contenders if you're not in the fight for the championship. Whatever- I get that Marquez is fighting for a rostrum place, and shouldnt just roll over, but seriously, did anyone who is of sane mind think that Marquez wasn't faster and wasnt blocking Rossi on purpose? Fwiw, Marquez wasn't trying to help Lorenzo as much as he was trying to make Rossi lose. Josh Brookes of BSB fame said it best- and I paraphrase, "the question isn't if Rossi put him into the run-off intentionally, it's what took him so long to do it?". As Julian Ryder said, this isn't over. I expect this to continue into next year. Payback is a bit@h.

Last edited by r_mutt; 10-29-2015 at 10:13 PM.
Old 10-29-2015, 10:29 PM
Soy Un Perdedor

I agree Marquez was up to no good. But unfortunately for Rossi, he let his emotions get to him. He shouldn't have let himself get to the point where he could be accused of punting Marquez.
Old 10-30-2015, 05:51 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
Wow, what a battle between Rossi, who's leading in points and Marquez at the Malaysian GP. I don't think Rossi intended to take out Marquez, just slow him down while he had the better line? The race direction has "imposed three penalty points on Valentino Rossi for irresponsible riding, that is, deliberately causing contact. Deliberately running wide in a corner in order to try and force another rider off line. The result was a crash and so it痴 irresponsible riding causing a crash and for that we have imposed three penalty points on Rossi." The last race in Valencia will be something to watch!
I stopped when they got rid of these.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pic_gallery_yzr500_0wh0_01.jpg (37.2 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg 1969_RF302.jpg (98.9 KB, 72 views)
Old 10-30-2015, 11:54 AM
Cat 6

that YZR still looks good to my eye today.