Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-27-2015, 02:26 PM
Mr.Chicken Legs

OT: Best method of getting oil and tire marks off of Fabric in cars?

Hey folks.

So Mrs.Shortssocks and I are going out of town for a couple of weeks and we're taking my folks car so and in exchange we are giving them our car to hold onto to for a couple of weeks. So I decided to try to clean up the car and the inside of my car has fabric seats. Problem is my car is actually a bicycle transportation vehicle not really for people so I have mostly tire marks on the fabric which is like light black streaks, and some oil marks from where my legs had oil on them and then sqt on those fabric chairs.

What do you guys or gals use to remove those from fabric? Like some type of chemical cleaner or natural organic substance any help would be appreciated. I'm afraid to put anything on it because I don't want it to streak more or plant into the fabric to make gray blotches...

Thanks in Advance.
Old 10-27-2015, 02:28 PM

Don't forget the headliner too. I would think a solution of Dr. Bronners and water would work well and would leave you car with a nice fresh scent.
Old 10-27-2015, 02:31 PM
Mr.Chicken Legs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Scorpio View Post
Don't forget the headliner too. I would think a solution of Dr. Bronners and water would work well and would leave you car with a nice fresh scent.
AHHH!! Why did you have to bring up the headliner?! I was hoping my folks wouldn't look UP! Lol. I'm actually laughing my ass off at the moment. You read my mind. How did you know?
Old 10-27-2015, 03:05 PM

Blankets to cover the seats would work too...
Old 10-27-2015, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortsocks View Post

What do you guys or gals use to remove those from fabric? Like some type of chemical cleaner or natural organic substance any help would be appreciated. I'm afraid to put anything on it because I don't want it to streak more or plant into the fabric to make gray blotches...

Thanks in Advance.
actually redundant. Goof off is made of xylene, acetone, ethyl benzene, and methanol. The stuff in citrus cleaners is limonene, which decomposes to give formaldehyde. All are natural and organic.

Either will work in conjunction with some pumice, but the odor may be unbearable... Some grey will remain, but you can reduce the intensity

before

after
Old 10-27-2015, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echappist View Post
actually redundant. Goof off is made of xylene, acetone, ethyl benzene, and methanol. The stuff in citrus cleaners is limonene, which decomposes to give formaldehyde. All are natural and organic.

Either will work in conjunction with some pumice, but the odor may be unbearable... Some grey will remain, but you can reduce the intensity
I use citrus degreaser when I get chain grease on my bike clothes. Works like a charm.
Old 10-27-2015, 04:35 PM

Use something with pumice in it to dry clean. Then use laundry soap to wet clean. Of course the best way to keep something clean is to not get it dirty in the first place...

Last edited by dustyrider; 10-27-2015 at 05:16 PM.
Old 10-27-2015, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by druptight View Post
I use citrus degreaser when I get chain grease on my bike clothes. Works like a charm.
agreed. i've saved some rather nice dress shirts from the bike cloth pile using citrus degreaser and a toothbrush.

too bad carpet fibers are a bit more harder to clean...
Old 10-27-2015, 06:31 PM

I've had good results with Folex. A bit more challenging than a citrus degreaser on cutting truly tough grease stains, but yields a much more repeatable and thorough result in the end. Degreaser can lead to the dreaded "liquefy and spread" if you're too aggressive making the job bigger and bigger before you get on top of it.

Clipboard01.jpg
Old 10-27-2015, 07:51 PM

Car with black cloth interior. Priority One in my latest purchase.
Old 10-27-2015, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donevwil View Post
I've had good results with Folex. A bit more challenging than a citrus degreaser on cutting truly tough grease stains, but yields a much more repeatable and thorough result in the end. Degreaser can lead to the dreaded "liquefy and spread" if you're too aggressive making the job bigger and bigger before you get on top of it.

Attachment 1697909327
Folex is my go-to for any carpet/upholstery issues.
Old 10-27-2015, 10:22 PM
Mr.Chicken Legs

Thanks guys. NEVER heard of the Folex before. Seems to be a good one...and its inexpensive. Ill pick some up tomm and give that a shot. Ill take some before and after pictures just for giggles...also good call on the Dark Interior. I have NO clue why I went with a light colored interior this time around.
Old 10-28-2015, 12:41 AM

I also use folex and it works pretty darn good. Since I've had a bad history with oil spots, I now use a white cloth tarp underneath my stand. It catches all of the gunk that flys off the chain and pulleys when cleaning. Plus, it helps locate where the gunk is. Lol, yup, proactive.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Last edited by needmobikes; 10-28-2015 at 11:27 AM.
Old 10-28-2015, 06:09 AM

Once you've spot treated, I have had pretty good luck with the spray and dry cleaner, Blue Coral. In most automotive parts stores.

Once it dries you vacuum it off. I've had pretty good success with it on the fabric seats of my truck that get pretty dirty from work clothes.
Old 10-28-2015, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by druptight View Post
Folex is my go-to for any carpet/upholstery issues.
Pretty great stuff. It was originally recommended to me for pet stains.