Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-09-2015, 07:06 PM

S3 fork with 'window' - how to get fixed?

Realized I have an S3 fork with the window in the aluminum dropout - that was 'recalled' because of instances of them bending. Now that Serotta is no more, are there any options to get the dropout replaced with something sturdier? Was thinking maybe contacting Calfee to see if it's something they can deal with. Would like to keep the fork in use...

Thanks for any help.

Last edited by tv_vt; 09-09-2015 at 07:11 PM.
Old 09-09-2015, 07:44 PM
Randomhead

I doubt you can get it fixed economically, but I suppose it's worth checking if it means a lot to you. The thing about dropouts that deform is that they are also more likely to form fatigue cracks. So if you do decide to keep riding it, which is something I might do, you should monitor for cracks. Actually, I can't force myself to ride something that I'm not completely confident in, so I would replace the fork
Old 09-09-2015, 07:50 PM

Wow, the first part of your response had me worried! Monitor for cracks?!? would you do that just before every descent? and I agree with the way you close...don't ride if you're not confident in it! I would find a local builder and see what they think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
I doubt you can get it fixed economically, but I suppose it's worth checking if it means a lot to you. The thing about dropouts that deform is that they are also more likely to form fatigue cracks. So if you do decide to keep riding it, which is something I might do, you should monitor for cracks. Actually, I can't force myself to ride something that I'm not completely confident in, so I would replace the fork
Old 09-09-2015, 08:21 PM

This was the post, quite a number of years ago, where I heard about this issue:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=66032

Anybody still riding an S3 fork with the 'window'?
Old 09-09-2015, 08:25 PM

I would send a pm to Mike Lopez and see if he responds. He might not be willing to do the repair, but might know of someone who could, assuming you can find the dropouts. There's a guy selling ti dropouts as keychains on ebay, so you might be able to source some from him.
Old 09-09-2015, 09:33 PM
Randomhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by tv_vt View Post
This was the post, quite a number of years ago, where I heard about this issue:
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=66032
there is a visible and very long fatigue crack in the picture accompanying that post. It had obviously been cracked for a very long time

Quote:
Originally Posted by fogrider View Post
Wow, the first part of your response had me worried! Monitor for cracks?!? would you do that just before every descent? and I agree with the way you close...don't ride if you're not confident in it! I would find a local builder and see what they think.
Fatigue cracks grow very slowly. It's likely that most forks will not see any cracking in these dropouts. When a crack first becomes visible, it is not going to propagate to rupture in one ride, much less one descent. I think everyone should monitor their bikes for cracks, "clean your bike" is my motto. Every bike component that failed in fatigue that I have inspected
has had significant corrosion on the failure surface. Suggesting many rides between when the crack became visible and rupture. Of course, why take chances?
Old 09-10-2015, 12:43 AM

Sure check your bike on a regular basis, but if something is known to have a flaw, I wouldn't want to have something that is prone to breaking, on my bike...while fatigue cracks develops over time, the fear would be potholes and such...I would end up checking it constantly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
there is a visible and very long fatigue crack in the picture accompanying that post. It had obviously been cracked for a very long time

Fatigue cracks grow very slowly. It's likely that most forks will not see any cracking in these dropouts. When a crack first becomes visible, it is not going to propagate to rupture in one ride, much less one descent. I think everyone should monitor their bikes for cracks, "clean your bike" is my motto. Every bike component that failed in fatigue that I have inspected
has had significant corrosion on the failure surface. Suggesting many rides between when the crack became visible and rupture. Of course, why take chances?
Old 09-10-2015, 04:35 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycampyer View Post
I would send a pm to Mike Lopez and see if he responds. He might not be willing to do the repair, but might know of someone who could, assuming you can find the dropouts. There's a guy selling ti dropouts as keychains on ebay, so you might be able to source some from him.
Good advice on contacting Mike as he is the one involved with the creation and production of these forks.
Old 09-10-2015, 11:15 AM
Descent fitness

FYI: Mike Lopez=Serotta_Carbon
Be patient when you PM him, since I do not believe he hangs around here a lot anymore.
Old 09-10-2015, 11:23 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve in SLO View Post
FYI: Mike Lopez=Serotta_Carbon
Be patient when you PM him, since I do not believe he hangs around here a lot anymore.
Since Serotta no longer exists, he is now using the username "Mike Lopez".
Old 09-10-2015, 11:44 AM

Thanks. I have left Mike a note. Also checked with Calfee, but they only repair carbon, don't deal with anything metal.

This has left me really bummed. The longer story is that this is a NOS Serotta frame and fork I bought through the mail from a bike shop many states away. Saw some photos of the frame but not of the dropouts. I want to keep the frame, and I'm not sure I have any recourse regarding the fork. If I had seen it in person I would have recognized the dropout issue, but that didn't happen. I have an email in to the shop, but have not heard back yet. If Serotta were still in business, I'd go straight to them, but those days are unfortunately long gone.

This frame is for my wife. I know that many miles have been ridden by lots of people using this fork and dropout before the soft recall, but knowing the issue now makes me extremely hesitant. I could never forgive myself if it failed while she was riding. Plus I'd probably lose my job as her bike mechanic...
Old 09-10-2015, 07:54 PM
Descent fitness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith A View Post
Since Serotta no longer exists, he is now using the username "Mike Lopez".
Thanks, Keith.
That would explain why my last p.m. from him was from 'Mike Lopez'. Sometimes I miss putting the dots together
Old 09-10-2015, 08:43 PM

Being NOS, I would not worry until there are several thousand miles on it. And, as Uter said, inspect it regularly, maybe every 300 miles or so.

Treat with the usual care. It seems the failures were due to impacts/non-riding mishaps in handling and transport. There were not enough failures, or they were not catastrophic in nature, for Serotta to offer free replacements.

OTOH, you could build it up with a replacement fork and mothball the F fork if you ever decide to sell.

Last edited by pbarry; 09-10-2015 at 08:51 PM.
Old 09-10-2015, 08:58 PM

If you do ride it, I would also not transport the bike on a fork-mount rack. They expose the fork dropouts to stresses that the dropouts do not otherwise experience jra.
Old 09-10-2015, 09:02 PM

I will be talking to the shop I bought the fork from tomorrow. I will ask to return it for a refund or credit toward another fork. We'll see how that goes and take it from there.

Thanks for your comments. I did hear back from Mike Lopez. If he says it's OK with him, I'll post his comments about the fork repair process.