Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-06-2015, 02:38 PM

Re: Crazy Pegoretti on craigslist

I am new to this site, but it was brought to my attention that a discussion had started about my Luigino for sale on Tucson Craigslist. I am unable to respond on that particular thread (for a month!) so I would like to respond here...

The price changed after it was brought to my attention by Dave at my LBS, and I meant to get around to it before any offers....unfortunately this raised some discussion. If you go to buy (and have to wait) for a Luigino you will begin to understand the value....and maybe you can find a NOS Campy SR group. Someone listed several other Pegoretti bikes that recently sold, but none of those were a Luigino or built with SR....comparing apples/oranges. A better comparison would perhaps be the Colnago Arabesque currently on Ebay.

Really enjoyed the comments as such a bike surely stirs the emotions!

- steve
Old 06-06-2015, 03:13 PM

Beautiful bike! I'm 193cm tall so not quite a good fit for my riding needs but definitely worthy of day dreams.
Old 06-06-2015, 03:47 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

To save others the trouble of searching for it, this is the thread in the Paceline Classifieds about the Peg in question:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=169236
Old 06-06-2015, 04:04 PM
The B!

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrouleur View Post
I am new to this site, but it was brought to my attention that a discussion had started about my Luigino for sale on Tucson Craigslist. I am unable to respond on that particular thread (for a month!) so I would like to respond here...

The price changed after it was brought to my attention by Dave at my LBS, and I meant to get around to it before any offers....unfortunately this raised some discussion. If you go to buy (and have to wait) for a Luigino you will begin to understand the value....and maybe you can find a NOS Campy SR group. Someone listed several other Pegoretti bikes that recently sold, but none of those were a Luigino or built with SR....comparing apples/oranges. A better comparison would perhaps be the Colnago Arabesque currently on Ebay.

- steve
If you have something super unique that will only be truly appreciated by truly unique person with a truly unique budget for it, there's no point paying any attention to those who say "$6000 for an old steel bike w t f??"

But you definitely need to be OK with holding on to it for a long time, waiting for that truly unique buyer to happen along.

BUT.... aren't there brokers out there that specialize in connecting truly unique bikes with truly unique buyers? Maybe you've already got this listed via other avenues.... but I definitely wouldn't rely on just Craigslist (if you are)
Old 06-06-2015, 05:07 PM

Quote:

- steve
Hey Steve. That is a beautiful bike, and classic Super Record is exactly the way I would build one. However, let's be honest, used bikes RARELY bring the prices that they did when they were new. Market value is rarely tied to original cost. Even rare, highly desirable models tend to depreciate like a British SUV.

I personally felt that the original $4K asking price was a reach and the $6K definitely seems a bit of a dream. I'm of the opinion that it's a $3,000-$3500 bike on the high end. But hey, it's your bike and you have every right to ask what you want of it. Time will tell what the true market value is.

If you do want to maximize the $$$ on the bike, I would suggest taking the bike apart and selling the bits separately from the frameset.

Good luck with the sale!

Texbike
Old 06-06-2015, 05:50 PM

Texbike, only the crank and pedals have slight wear....the frame and all other parts are NEW. Have it listed on a couple other sites, but CL really is budget conscious. No hurry....no worry. The proper person will come along who may even roll along the Strade Bianchi...you know, the dirt roads of Tuscany!

Last edited by azrouleur; 06-06-2015 at 06:02 PM.
Old 06-06-2015, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Texbike, only the crank and pedals have slight wear....the frame and all other parts are NEW. Have it listed on a couple other sites, but CL really is budget conscious. No hurry....no worry. The proper person will come along who may even roll along the Strade Bianchi...you know, the dirt roads of Tuscany!
You're correct, CL really isn't the best place for such a fine steed unfortunately. If you would truly like to sell it or at least determine its true market value, I'd suggest posting it on ebay with a bunch of REALLY good pictures, detailed description, and a high and undisclosed reserve price. This would reach the broadest audience.

And yes, rolling the Strade Bianche on it would be sweet wouldn't it?

Texbike
Old 06-06-2015, 06:57 PM

I have a Luigino, mine is a custom built with Excell tubing.

Not even in my wildest dreams do I think someone would pay me $6,000 for what is, a used, bike.
Old 06-06-2015, 08:28 PM
Small ring

Quote:
No kidding. You have tried for years to sell it at $4k, and you still have it. Someone shows interest at $4k and you raise the price to $6k.

I understand that it may be worth $4k, or $6k to you, but it seems as if you really don't want to sell it. I thought about the f/f for my wife years ago, but couldn't justify it, and in spite of what you may think, vintage Campy ain't worth $2k.

If you want to sell it, put it on eBay and see what you get. Open it to worldwide bidding.

Good luck on your sale, enjoy the free advertising on the most vibrant forum in the US, and welcome here. Hope you stay and contribute. I'd love to ride with you in the Fall Winter when I'm in AZ.
Old 06-06-2015, 08:31 PM
Small ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarchist View Post
I have a Luigino, mine is a custom built with Excell tubing.

Not even in my wildest dreams do I think someone would pay me $6,000 for what is, a used, bike.
TMB has an Excell framed, double plated fork crown Luigino. I'm pretty sure he would agree, as much as he loves that bike.
Old 06-06-2015, 09:53 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

It's pretty simple - an owner can always decide what something is worth to him or her, but a seller can't determine what something is worth on the open market. It takes a willing buyer to do that.
Old 06-06-2015, 10:02 PM

Sure is a nice bike. And is almost my size. hmmmmm....
Old 06-06-2015, 11:48 PM

Zmudshark,

Have you done any riding in AZ? Sedona is great most of Dec...and nearby Mingus mtn climbs to 7,000'.
Old 06-07-2015, 06:19 AM
Small ring

Quote:
Zmudshark,

Have you done any riding in AZ? Sedona is great most of Dec...and nearby Mingus mtn climbs to 7,000'.
I spend 6 mos of the year in AZ. The good 6 mos.
Old 06-07-2015, 08:29 AM

...and where do you like to ride?

Tags
pegoretti luigino