Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-25-2015, 12:49 AM

Which short reach brakes have the most clearance?

I'm trying to get the largest tires possible on my Rivendell Road Standard. 30s fit the frame, but the rear brake bridge is close (3mm) and unfortunately the brake caliper is hitting the tire. (Campagnolo Skeleton) The reach to the rim is fine, but I need more clearance at the top. In your experience, which short reach brakes have the most vertical clearance?

(It's a shame the rear bridge is so low, because there is ample room to go with larger tires everywhere else)
Old 01-25-2015, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rw229 View Post
I'm trying to get the largest tires possible on my Rivendell Road Standard. 30s fit the frame, but the rear brake bridge is close (3mm) and unfortunately the brake caliper is hitting the tire. (Campagnolo Skeleton) The reach to the rim is fine, but I need more clearance at the top. In your experience, which short reach brakes have the most vertical clearance?

(It's a shame the rear bridge is so low, because there is ample room to go with larger tires everywhere else)

You may want to try a Shimano brake caliper. It might gain you the extra couple millimeters clearance to give your tire some clearance. Campy brake calipers arch a little bit more suddenly from the top center of the brake to the pads, whereas Shimano calipers are more squarish shaped so that the underside top center of the brake caliper arches more horizontally and then down to the brake pads.

Last edited by abalone; 01-25-2015 at 02:57 AM.
Old 01-25-2015, 06:18 AM
Riding Along

Shimano Ultegra has a lot more clearance than the campy Skeletons. I have same issue you do on one of my bikes and other than using shimano caliper you can try adding a spacer between the brake axel and brake bridge; you may need to use a longer brake nut. The permanent solution os to have the bridge moved up buy a frame builder. I am considering this on my Ti bike, where the clearance is very poor.
Old 01-25-2015, 09:44 AM

additional spacers or brake washers

since the caliper is inserted at an angle, the addition of a few washers might give you the added clearance you are looking for?
Old 01-25-2015, 11:53 AM

Buy these:
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=162286

I've fit 30s under them on a frame that puts the pad mid slot.

For reference, here is where the pads are in the slot:

The single pivot rear seems to have more room as well. I can't promise it will work, but I would guess it does.

Last edited by thirdgenbird; 01-25-2015 at 11:57 AM.
Old 01-25-2015, 09:03 PM

Thanks all. I'll see if some washers help. I'd like to stick with Campy if possible, or maybe an aftermarket set like TRP/Tektro, Paul ($$), etc.

Thirdgenbird - thanks for the photo and link, I'm looking for silver.

I wonder if these would be the same or I would need a specific generation of Record brakes?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Campagnolo-C...item566fd4539d

With only 3mm from the top of the tire to the bottom of the bridge, I may just have to fall back to 28s.
Old 01-25-2015, 09:06 PM

Those should have the same arms as the brakes in my pictures.