Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-18-2015, 10:22 AM

Calling all Portland metro!

Sunset Cycles in the far west edges of Portland off Bethany Blvd. (almost Beaverton) is closing. The owner is retiring and the doors will close in about one weeks time. Everything is deeply discounted. I would like to see the owner and his wife off to a happy retirement! 15320 NW Central Drive, Suite D-1
Portland, Oregon 97229.

If you are familiar with this shop, post a little something about your thoughts/experiences. I'll start:

Yesterday was my first time stepping foot in the shop. I don't live on this side of town but my wife and I's friends just moved around the corner from here. When we drove out to see their new place about a month ago, and like any cycling crazed fool, I could sense the presence of a shop. I committed to memory that is was out here and was closing it's doors. I was looking for a few specific parts for a 90s Giant Rincon (you will probably see a post soon about this) that I'm going to convert to a commuter/touring bike. The owner, Roger, was very friendly and sat through my barrage of questions. As I talked to him I wondered what it would be like to have this place as my go to LBS.
Old 01-18-2015, 10:25 AM
Administrator

I'm pretty sure I bought some Speedplay pedals and Sidi shoes there back in the day. Great people!

William
Old 01-18-2015, 06:43 PM

I'm in Portland but that's outside of my home range. I haven't heard much about the store but wish them all the best with their retirement
Old 01-18-2015, 06:59 PM
The B!

Having grown up in Rock Creek/Bethany, how have I never even heard of 'em? I still ride those roads out there, up and down G-town, Rock Creek, Keiser, Bethany, Thompson, et al, from/to/around Skyline climb fests..... and there's been an allegedly good bike shop there all the time??

Sounds like maybe they should have invested in some ADVERTISING at some point...

I wish them well, as well... won't be over there in the next week, unfortunately.
Old 01-19-2015, 12:09 AM

Vaguely familiar with it, and (for better or worse) have the free time available to check it out tomorrow. Thanks for the heads-up!
Old 01-19-2015, 06:18 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAllen View Post
Sunset Cycles in the far west edges of Portland off Bethany Blvd. (almost Beaverton) is closing. The owner is retiring and the doors will close in about one weeks time. Everything is deeply discounted. I would like to see the owner and his wife off to a happy retirement! 15320 NW Central Drive, Suite D-1
Portland, Oregon 97229.

If you are familiar with this shop, post a little something about your thoughts/experiences. I'll start:

Yesterday was my first time stepping foot in the shop. I don't live on this side of town but my wife and I's friends just moved around the corner from here. When we drove out to see their new place about a month ago, and like any cycling crazed fool, I could sense the presence of a shop. I committed to memory that is was out here and was closing it's doors. I was looking for a few specific parts for a 90s Giant Rincon (you will probably see a post soon about this) that I'm going to convert to a commuter/touring bike. The owner, Roger, was very friendly and sat through my barrage of questions. As I talked to him I wondered what it would be like to have this place as my go to LBS.
When I see closing rather than selling, I always wonder. Closing involves selling inventory, as does selling the shop. BUT you 'may' get some 'blue sky'/goodwill $ out of it when selling the shop rather than just closing. Maybe debt involved, which severely reduces the $ realized but still.
Old 01-19-2015, 08:44 PM

Hepmike, did you end up getting anything?

oldpotatoe, I was wondering that as well, but I figure he has his reasons. Maybe he couldn't find a buyer or maybe it had to do with the lease. Either way the one mixed blessing is the potential of proximity shops to pick up that clientele, making those shops that much more stable.

www.deliberatelydomestic.com
Old 01-19-2015, 08:53 PM

I was there at 11am this morning...pickings were SCARCE.

Toooooo late for me.
Old 01-19-2015, 09:43 PM

The sale has been going on for weeks, it didn't just begin, consequently there's not much left.
Old 01-20-2015, 06:27 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Hepmike, did you end up getting anything?

oldpotatoe, I was wondering that as well, but I figure he has his reasons. Maybe he couldn't find a buyer or maybe it had to do with the lease. Either way the one mixed blessing is the potential of proximity shops to pick up that clientele, making those shops that much more stable.
Lots of brokers out there and the lease stays in place unless a new lease was painful..that's pretty common.

Maybe timing also. Just had no time to get it all rolling. It's really a PITA to sell everything. You always end up with a few boxes of junk you just donate or throw away.
Old 01-20-2015, 06:51 AM

oldpotatoe, I must admit my ignorance in the area of business ownership. From how you describe it, it sounds like a person has quite a few options in front of them in these situations. I just hope this wasn't them backed into a corner, but something of their own accord.

www.deliberatelydomestic.com
Old 01-20-2015, 06:56 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
oldpotatoe, I must admit my ignorance in the area of business ownership. From how you describe it, it sounds like a person has quite a few options in front of them in these situations. I just hope this wasn't them backed into a corner, but something of their own accord.
I agree. It's easy to sell from a position of strength, retail wise. But often it's something else, like a new lease negotiation that goes into the toilet.

BUT I got cold calls and cold 'mail' all the time from people that wanted to sell my business. I know a biz broker(who used to own a bike shop in Boulder) and he does quite well. Kinda like a realtor, but values and sells business'.

BUT maybe he was just tired, selling a bunch of inventory at or below wholesale isn't a way to get retirement income tho. IMHO. I wish him well. I completely get the 'tired' part.