Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-12-2015, 11:03 AM

Silver 5800

Anyone familiar with how this group looks in silver? Have only seen the black in person which was much nicer than I had anticipated.

Thanks
Old 01-12-2015, 01:21 PM

You've never seen it?
http://www.merlincycles.com/shimano-...ver-73001.html

Or if you mean on a bike, I believe some have posted pictures on either the "ribble groupsets" thread in the classifieds or have posted a thread about the 5800/6800 groups not too long ago
Old 01-12-2015, 02:38 PM

In person - local shops only have black.
Old 01-12-2015, 04:39 PM

I don't understand the question- what's it really look like? I just received a silver group from Ribble- it's anodized silver, and not polished except for the center of the crank arms. Its really a lighter shade of the 6800 gray. If you're expecting a mirror polished, no. Not at that price. Once I get used to the shape of the new 4 arm cranks, I think it will look good on my tig'd steel Hampsten. I still haven't seen the attraction of black components, but I'm getting there- probably if/when I finally get a shaped carbon frame. I'm mostly excited about replacing well-worn 9 speed 6500 components, the "silver" looks nice enough. Again, it's really a very light gray/blue anodization.
Old 01-12-2015, 05:48 PM

thanks that was what I was after, so not as brite as 6500 or 6600.
Old 01-12-2015, 06:31 PM

No, it doesn't match the older silver colors, just a little darker. It has a slight blue/grey tint to the anodization. But it looks good, and not cheap, I'm glad I got the silver, like I said it's not retro looking but doesn't look out of place on a OS steel frame either. Well except for the cranks, but I'll live with them until I hear there's no shifting advantage over a nice polished retro Sugino. I'm getting dragged kicking and screaming into 2015, but I think it's gonna be OK. 5800 looks awesome and it will breathe new life into a nice steel frame, glad I didn't spring the extra $$$ for 6800, I don't think I'd see any difference and I can put the savings into a recovered saddle and handlebra.