Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-29-2014, 05:40 AM

Cycling videos for winter training?

I have netflix etc so I do have some choices to keep my brain from going numb during the winter but I would love to see some TDF or other race vids from the past.

Is there a way to see them without paying huge $ ?

Thanks
Old 10-29-2014, 05:50 AM

YouTube has lots. What kind of durations are you looking for?
Old 10-29-2014, 06:39 AM
Kind of OK

If you send me your GoPro camera I can take videos as I train on beautiful Arizona Roads this winter.

(This is the time of year when Arizona doesn't suck)
Old 10-29-2014, 07:08 AM

If you happen to still have a VHS player I'd send you a bunch for what it costs to ship them.
Pretty sure I have a few years of the TDF and some other stuff still in a box somewhere.
Old 10-29-2014, 07:34 AM

Check out Sprinterdellacasa on YouTube. He posts on this forum quite a bit. His videos are from races and training races he does during the road season. Exciting music and interesting commentary help. His 2010 campaign was particularly successful and those videos are great to watch. Each is around 10 minutes, so string together a YouTube playlist of 5 or 6 for a hard workout.
Old 10-29-2014, 07:37 AM

I really like watching euro cx races on the rollers. Each broadcast is about two hours long. There are tons on Youtube. There's a bit of interviews, so you can work on your Flemish. There's a women's race and a men's race. Good stuff.

It's a lot less boring than helicopter cams switching back and forth from a small breakaway's rotation to a peloton taking a nap five minutes back on the road.
Old 10-29-2014, 07:44 AM
Classics Fan

I usually hit youtube, and find a paris-roubaix, tour of flanders or milan san remo to watch. I'll pull up another video in the background that is techno or house music, so I get a nice beat.
Old 10-29-2014, 07:48 AM
Kind of OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by commonguy001 View Post
If you happen to still have a VHS player I'd send you a bunch for what it costs to ship them.
Pretty sure I have a few years of the TDF and some other stuff still in a box somewhere.
I believe I still have a bunch of VHS tapes of the Giro from the Pantani era, including the one where he got popped. Same deal.
Old 10-29-2014, 07:51 AM

Twin Peaks is on Netflix.
Old 10-29-2014, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsh View Post
Twin Peaks is on Netflix.
If we're talkin' about tv shows then I have to make a plug for "Donk Donk Intervals." Here's how it goes:

You watch Law and Order. Any Law and Order will do - SVU, Criminal Intent, or even that weird Russian one where all the suspects' bodies just turn up and the police pretend like they're surprised.

Anyway, the important part is to go hard every time there's a Donk Donk. You can pick how long you wind up going for. When the episode is up, put on another one. It winds up being a pretty greuling 90 minutes. And the riding will be hard, too.
Old 10-29-2014, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeecake View Post
Check out Sprinterdellacasa on YouTube. He posts on this forum quite a bit. His videos are from races and training races he does during the road season. Exciting music and interesting commentary help. His 2010 campaign was particularly successful and those videos are great to watch. Each is around 10 minutes, so string together a YouTube playlist of 5 or 6 for a hard workout.
Thanks for the mention.

I blog/youtube under sprinterdellacasa (my best friend created the name for me when he managed my shop - he put that down as my title on my business cards) but my names on forums is carpediemracing (after Carpe Diem Racing, which was my team from the late 80s on as well as my current race promotion entity).

As a long time trainer aficionado I rely on movies, race DVDs, my own clips, and music (videos as well as just music).

Rides up to 2-2.5 hours long:

Stuff I mentioned above.

I also enjoy watching some of the "highlights" of current races and such on YouTube. Favorites include the Tour of Turkey stage, for example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ru3vGR8nck

The problem is hunting for those clips. If you put together a play list YouTube will play your playlist without additional control inputs, except if you want to skip ads. I look for interesting-to-me clips, typically classic or sprint type stages. I like the packed field stuff, big attacks on the flats or short, steep hills. I don't like the climbing stuff as much. I like the long clips for long rides, some of them are 1-2 hours long.

I bought a slew of DVDs from World Cycling Videos. They have volume discounts so once you start hitting their big numbers the price per DVD is pretty good. I got Tour DVDs that I thought might be interesting or that I simply didn't follow enough to remember what happened.

A single DVD is 2 hours long for those long Tour DVD sets. I put in a DVD and ride. If I want to ride harder I listen to music through earbuds. Once I'm reasonably fit (I haven't been since maybe 2010-2011) I almost don't watch the TV, it's about the music and the pedal stroke, and I'll have my eyes closed for minutes at a time.

Just now I watched the majority of one DVD of the 2006 Tour. With Junior upstairs napping I couldn't do ear buds so no music to push me.

Rides 3-5.5 hours long:

For really long rides I've usually set aside the time and I have plans to ride for 3-5+ hours. For the super long rides, 4-5 hours, I'll watch 2-3 movies that I haven't watched that I want to watch, or movies that I previously watched and can watch again without getting bored. I say 3 movies because sometimes a movie I chose isn't really trainer material, like Syriana, for example, or some of the Band of Brothers episodes. I then move to the next movie else I'll be sleep-riding.

For example the Bourne series is great, the movies have mini-crescendos every 8-10 minutes, like clockwork, and I naturally ride a bit faster/harder as the scene gets more intense. Then there's a recovery period as the next scene gets set up. Etc.

After usually 2 movies I have another hour to go. I pull out my own clips as they're the most motivating for me. I also go big on the music/volume because it's music I like. Again, since this is all planned, I usually have the ability to use earbuds.
Old 10-29-2014, 12:21 PM

Ishtar.
Old 10-29-2014, 02:05 PM

There is a website full of bike racing torrents. I dont know if thats ok to post here though, as I'm sure there's is a good amount of illegal content as well.

I would try watching some downhill world cup race coverage as well, would keep me interested. Cross country too, maybe even XC skiing on top of that.
Old 10-29-2014, 02:15 PM

Man you guys are a beast or im just lazy sufferfest and i look for 60 minutes or less thats long enough in the basement
Old 10-29-2014, 05:00 PM

youtube.

plug in the name/year/stage of your favourite race and watch away.

youtube user chickasmith has basically every late 80s, 90s, and early 2000s TDF uploaded. mind you not full stages, ~20min recaps with the action. he has some AWESOME 80s/90s euro cross too.