Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-11-2014, 05:44 PM

Mercian

What is the scoop on these frames? Are they a quality built machine? I'm thinking about a KOM with mudguards. I mostly want to know if they are built straight. Danke.
Old 10-11-2014, 06:37 PM

I got a KOM last year, had it built to the same geometry as a Moots. It is a first rate frame, rides as good as my Moots SL. I've posted pictures before here. Everything about the buying/ordering process was great. Build time was exactly as quoted and questions answered quickly by Grant and Jane. I guess they've been in business since the 1940's so they must be doing something right! Paint is incredible, I went all out and got the barber pole.
Old 10-11-2014, 06:44 PM

I used to ride a King of Mercia (KoM) in the 80s. Silver paint, beautiful lugs. Smooth riding, mostly due to the relatively long wheelbase. Mine was Reynolds 531, so a bit on the heavy side. If you have a chance to try one first, that might be a good idea.
Old 10-11-2014, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idris Icabod View Post
I got a KOM last year, had it built to the same geometry as a Moots. It is a first rate frame, rides as good as my Moots SL. I've posted pictures before here. Everything about the buying/ordering process was great. Build time was exactly as quoted and questions answered quickly by Grant and Jane. I guess they've been in business since the 1940's so they must be doing something right! Paint is incredible, I went all out and got the barber pole.
Couldn't find you KOM in the gallery. Did you post it in the custom gallery?
Old 10-11-2014, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merckx View Post
Couldn't find you KOM in the gallery. Did you post it in the custom gallery?
It's here

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showth...59#post1445159
Old 10-11-2014, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idris Icabod View Post
Yes, now I recall seeing it. Proper machine it is.
Old 10-12-2014, 12:12 AM

Mercian has been around for a long time and has a good reputation. Well built? No doubt about it. Built straight? I'm sure they are. Getting one set up top take mudguards? Hey, they're Brits. Nobody does "bikes for riding in dreary, rainy weather" better than Brits. After all, they get so much of it . . . .
Old 10-12-2014, 07:11 AM
Head to Ned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikingshearer View Post
Mercian has been around for a long time and has a good reputation. Well built? No doubt about it. Built straight? I'm sure they are. Getting one set up top take mudguards? Hey, they're Brits. Nobody does "bikes for riding in dreary, rainy weather" better than Brits. After all, they get so much of it . . . .

You would think so, but maybe not. I would talk to them about this when having a build conversation. I would prefer a stud on the brake bridge. I found their tapped bridge way to fragile.(not enough material there)

Really my only complaint regarding my custom Audax.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mercian Audax.jpg (79.7 KB, 168 views)

Last edited by witcombusa; 10-12-2014 at 07:54 AM.
Old 10-12-2014, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by witcombusa View Post
[/B]

You would think so, but maybe not. I would talk to them about this when having a build conversation. I would prefer a stud on the brake bridge. I found their tapped bridge way to fragile.(not enough material there)

Really my only complaint regarding my custom Audax.
Nice.

What size tires are you running there?
Old 10-12-2014, 06:28 PM
Head to Ned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccx View Post
Nice.

What size tires are you running there?

She is wearing 700 x 28 Ruffy Tuffys'
Old 10-13-2014, 10:56 AM

I guess I'll add a one year brief review. Still great but the most notable item for comment is the paint. I've ridden the bike pretty hard and have had a number of rocks fly up and clank off the frame, but I've only found one very tiny chip in the paint, so very happy with the durability of the enamel, way better than my Colnago C59. The only criticism I have of the entire Mercian experience was I thought the frame was supposed to be prepped (mostly threads chased) before shipping and that wasn't done, so all in all a very minor gripe.
Old 10-13-2014, 12:22 PM

Kom

I had a custom KOM built around 9 years ago. The tips of the lugs weren't in alignment with each other and lugs were overall very sloppy (I had a 1" headtube extension put on so lugs needed to be modified). Yes, I'm pretty picky.

I returned it and had the other builder (Derek Land) build me a Vincitore. It came out great and I ordered another one a few years later. It is/was wonderful also. Paint is very durable.

Mercian is GREAT to work with.