Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-12-2014, 04:49 PM

Something Horner said...

In the post TDF coverage this morning he said something to effect of "when the stage is over I drink 6-7 cokes, eat 5-6 Snickers bars, and it's still not enough (calories)" - then he said that people would be surprised to know that they weigh more at the end of the race then they do at beginning, and they have to be careful because it's difficult to race at that level carrying the extra (body) weight.

So to me it sounded like a contradiction. They are in a caloric deficit (which I'd expect)- but their weight is going up....huh?!
Old 07-12-2014, 04:55 PM
send me the twizzlers yo

They eat a real, real lot the night before the last stage atmo.

ps

arrange disorder

Old 07-12-2014, 04:58 PM
The B!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hepmike View Post
In the post TDF coverage this morning he said something to effect of "when the stage is over I drink 6-7 cokes, eat 5-6 Snickers bars, and it's still not enough (calories)" - then he said that people would be surprised to know that they weigh more at the end of the race then they do at beginning, and they have to be careful because it's difficult to race at that level carrying the extra (body) weight.

So to me it sounded like a contradiction. They are in a caloric deficit (which I'd expect)- but their weight is going up....huh?!
Possibly water retention from inflammation?

Climbing mountains, I've been in some HUGE calorie deficits, but never noticed any appreciable weight loss or gain. Like he said, you pack in the calories when you're done, and I don't think the body has a chance to really lose much weight.

There are some sports that truly deplete you, and you'll lose substantial weight... but cycling doesn't seem to be one. You don't ride for 18 hours without any food.... you ride for 3-9 hours, for pretty much the worst stages/segments/days/whatever, and then you eat a marbled steak and drink your body weight in beer.

The thought of drinking multiple cokes and downing Snickers bars kinda makes me sick, though... bleh.... hasnt the guy ever heard of ribeye??
Old 07-12-2014, 05:13 PM

I read an article many years ago in some magazine. It was on the Italian rider who rode for Motorola. Can't recall the name. I think he took out a British race license once to ride the Olympics.
He said that during the mountain days, they might even go to bed a bit hungry so as not to put on and extra pounds. Said they had to be careful on the amount they ate cuz it would've been too easy and enticing to eat nonstop during the Tour.
Old 07-12-2014, 05:14 PM
send me the twizzlers yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veloo View Post
I read an article many years ago in some magazine. It was on the Italian rider who rode for Motorola. Can't recall the name. I think he took out a British race license once to ride the Olympics.
Sciandri atmo.
Old 07-12-2014, 05:35 PM

Something Horner said...

With all the sports science/nutrition this is the best CH had come up with to fuel the engine? I took the comment as a bit of a goofy exaggeration. 7 Cokes is like what 350 mg of caffeine?
Old 07-12-2014, 05:45 PM

Something Horner said...

I think that he was talking about rainy days not all the time.
Old 07-12-2014, 05:46 PM

I saw somewhere that after a certain point your body starts hording the calories because the deficit is so large.
But I have also read that during events with such a huge caloric burn like the TDF, the body doesn't have any reserves and starts to burn the muscle tissue.

I gained weight during RAGBRAI, but that might have been the alcohol intake.
Old 07-12-2014, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-RICHIE View Post
Sciandri atmo.
Yes! Max Sciandri.
I remember the pics in the article showed their tan lines. Even with jerseys on, the sun got through and you could see the bib strap tan lines.
Old 07-12-2014, 07:49 PM

His had to do with the fact that it was rainy and the temp was lower so they don't sweat as much as on hot days.
Old 07-12-2014, 07:55 PM

^^that, and I thought he consumed that during the stage. With all the scientific stuff the teams have, I was surprised they'd have junk in the trunk. However, CdV did describe the team car as part 7-11.
Old 07-12-2014, 08:43 PM

I never understood how they could go to bed hungry and starve themselves but get stronger?

Not until I red Tyler Hamilton's book and he said its not the muscles its the blood. Good blood and low weight.

I don't have good blood and I don't have the weight part going for me so I think I would just eat the snickers.

Last edited by stephenmarklay; 07-12-2014 at 08:46 PM.
Old 07-12-2014, 08:57 PM

Yes he was talking about how many cokes and snickers he ate during the stage. And was commenting that on cold rainy days he doesn't sweat enough of the liquid off so ends up weighing more. Makes sense as most of the weight you gain or lose in short periods is just liquid retention. I really like horner and am looking for him to get stronger and stronger in the mountains.
Old 07-12-2014, 09:23 PM

Something Horner said...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sworcester View Post
I gained weight during RAGBRAI, but that might have been the alcohol intake.
And the pies. And mr pork chop. And the doughnuts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 07-12-2014, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The B View Post

The thought of drinking multiple cokes and downing Snickers bars kinda makes me sick, though... bleh.... hasnt the guy ever heard of ribeye??
Exactly. Wonder what his palmares might be like without a corn syrup race diet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-RICHIE View Post
Sciandri atmo.
Now DS for BMC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgrooms View Post
With all the sports science/nutrition this is the best CH had come up with to fuel the engine? I took the comment as a bit of a goofy exaggeration. 7 Cokes is like what 350 mg of caffeine?
Still in the peloton at 42, but maybe he could have done better through the years eating real food.