Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-14-2014, 06:08 PM

cassettes with carriers/spiders

hey friends:

i'm picking up my cx bike tomorrow after having had the chris king classic hub serviced (damn proprietary tools!), and apparently i'll need a new cassette as the old one bit way too far into the hub body. anyone have any recommendations for cassettes with carriers?

i'm running shimano 10-speed 105 beater stuff on the bike right now, and have had no mechanical issues with it at all. still wish it was campy though… thanks.

nick.
Old 04-14-2014, 06:42 PM

Ultegra. But, your smaller cogs are typically the ones that bite into the freehub body more....and the smaller cogs aren't on a carrier (on any of those type cassettes).
Old 04-14-2014, 06:59 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by giverdada View Post
hey friends:

i'm picking up my cx bike tomorrow after having had the chris king classic hub serviced (damn proprietary tools!), and apparently i'll need a new cassette as the old one bit way too far into the hub body. anyone have any recommendations for cassettes with carriers?

i'm running shimano 10-speed 105 beater stuff on the bike right now, and have had no mechanical issues with it at all. still wish it was campy though… thanks.

nick.
Ultegra.
Old 04-14-2014, 08:41 PM

thanks guys. i guess my next step is to get the stainless steel freehub body?
Old 04-14-2014, 11:17 PM

SRAM PG1050 has 3 cogs on a carrier.
Old 04-14-2014, 11:56 PM

tiagra!
Old 04-17-2014, 10:24 AM

so i've been looking through cassettes online and it seems that they all have some degree of non-carrier cogs, and these are all the ones that will get torqued the most - the bottom two or three or four.

i also looked at the chris king driveshell in steel and it's a million dollars. problem is, i've already built the wheel and it's running great and if it wasn't such a unique set-up that (usually) works well, i'd have no problem using a different hub or building a different wheel or whatever. price i pay for doing the fancy thing with a chris king hub i guess. i can't even adjust the thing 'cause of its proprietary 'cones'.

anyway, the sram red one that's almost entirely one block of metal seems pretty good, also a million dollars, and other people have also had problems with ultegra biting into the freehub body, so maybe it's just a damned if i do kind of scenario. in which case, tiagra it is and i'll burn the king driveshell bridge when i come to it. thanks for all of the input though.