Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-23-2014, 07:12 AM

Carbon clincher wheelset recommendation

I have pretty much decided to not go the Chinese carbon wheel route (I may still try them sometime) so what do you recommend in a USA assembled moderately priced wheelset. I want Campy 11s, clincher, wide 23mm (min) rims, not over 50 mm deep, open to alloy brake track or full carbon. I would like to stick to approx. $1500.00 budget. The ones I am considering:

November rail 34 - $1245.00 thru today
Boyd 44mm - $1400.00
Reynolds 41 SLG - $1620.00 may find cheaper
Hed Jet 5 express - $1400.00

Any recommendations?
The rails are the front runners for now. They will be used on a Ti Serotta for general riding, no mountains.

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 03-23-2014, 07:17 AM

www.psimet.com

I bought my set second hand. Rob builds wheels for pro teams. Mine have been rock solid. They are my everyday training and pit wheels.
Old 03-23-2014, 07:21 AM
Vendor

The HED Jet is an aluminum rim with carbon fairing so I wouldn't call it a carbon clincher. The others, if I'm correct, are all Chinese made rims that are assembled in the US. What's your objection to Made in China? The construction or assembly?
Old 03-23-2014, 07:28 AM

Bontrager Aeolus D3. Very good rim and DT based hubs. Careful shopping should get you a set for the $ you are looking to spend. Reynolds would be next best. That's about it.
Old 03-23-2014, 07:30 AM
ergottWheels

Boyd and November are both made in Taiwan, not China. They are both use unique molds not shared with the generic molds you see elsewhere.
Old 03-23-2014, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRider View Post
The HED Jet is an aluminum rim with carbon fairing so I wouldn't call it a carbon clincher. The others, if I'm correct, are all Chinese made rims that are assembled in the US. What's your objection to Made in China? The construction or assembly?
I think quality. Warranty, service, would be better on USA built. I think the rail rims may be from Taiwan, not sure.
Old 03-23-2014, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelhd View Post
www.psimet.com

I bought my set second hand. Rob builds wheels for pro teams. Mine have been rock solid. They are my everyday training and pit wheels.
I thought about him, but his site has been down for awhile.
Old 03-23-2014, 07:53 AM

Would you pay a few hundred more for ENVE 3.4's?
Old 03-23-2014, 08:24 AM

November

I've been riding Rail 52s/WH hubs for a couple months with circa 1200 miles on them. Coming from Reynolds DV46c the 52s build a stronger wheel. We've had high winds with guest this winter and the 52s handle better than the DVs. In guest making more subtle adjustments to being pop'd around on the DV.

While you are not in the mtns the heat dissipation with the recommend pads is very good. For me that was part of the criteria to going with other mid range brands or even going Chinese direct.
Old 03-23-2014, 09:08 AM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergott View Post
Boyd and November are both made in Taiwan, not China. They are both use unique molds not shared with the generic molds you see elsewhere.
I often have discussions with customers about Made in Asia (grouping all together) vs Made in USA and there are different responses. People will buy on price, opinions of quality, national pride and sometimes these lines are blurry.
As a retailer, I always want to know why someone likes or dislikes a product.
I used the term Chinese as a geographic description and not an opinion of quality.
What is especially confusing to consumers is that most products made in Taiwan are marked Made in Republic of China which is their official name. Rarely do you see Made in Formosa any more...
Old 03-23-2014, 09:15 AM

Hed.
Old 03-23-2014, 10:00 AM
PezTech

I would call Ergott or wheelbuilder and ask them what they could do first...

This all comes down to brake track / bead holding quality and some rims just flat do not cut it. Both will know what to do.

Getting pissed off locally is better than getting blown off by china / taiwan direct generics and having very little recourse but I would chose a wheel that was a lot less likely to have brake track warping issues to start with...
Old 03-23-2014, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sokyroadie View Post
"...not go the Chinese carbon wheel route..."
"...USA assembled..."
I think there is general confusion around "made in USA" versus "assembled in USA".

As others have pointed out most of the rims being considered are not made in the USA. But several of the complete wheelsets are assembled in the USA.

And as others have pointed out...being able to do business with a US based company will help if you have to deal with any issues regardless of where the parts are actually manufactured.
Old 03-23-2014, 10:42 AM

If you look around and be patient, you can find used Zipp 303 FC clinchers for around $1500. I found a pair from the Pro's Closet on ebay for $1250. I was searching for about a month before I pulled the trigger.
Old 03-23-2014, 10:49 AM

I'm a big fan of the 2014 Reynolds Attack and Assaults. I've ridden both and they are solid. Although they were custom built with either WI T11 or CK hubs. No brake pad rub like I've seen and felt with Zipp wheels.