Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-23-2014, 02:26 PM

XTR hub to 130mm

I was hoping someone could help me here. I have a rear M952 hub that I'd like to convert to 130mm spacing. I was under the impression that all I had to do was remove the 5mm spacer from the non drive side of the axle. But there's no 5mm spacer to remove.
Old 02-23-2014, 04:26 PM

Is there a wider spacer than you can swap out?
Old 02-23-2014, 04:33 PM

There's a 8mm spacer on the ND side that I could cut down, but then I believe the locknut would rest inside the plastic cover causing it to rest on the inside face of the dropout. I could also cut the plastic cover down as well.
Old 02-23-2014, 04:41 PM

Hmm, looking at a picture of one such hub, and yeah...I see what you mean.
Old 02-24-2014, 01:44 AM

I had to do the same thing with the last wheel I built, but that hub had a cone shaped rubber seal instead of plastic cap. I was able to remove 5mm with a razor blade and still keep the seal functional. I don't know if you can trim the XTR cap and keep the seal intact.
Old 02-24-2014, 06:43 AM
ergottWheels

The axle will be too long. You need to swap that too.
Old 02-24-2014, 06:45 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neves View Post
There's a 8mm spacer on the ND side that I could cut down, but then I believe the locknut would rest inside the plastic cover causing it to rest on the inside face of the dropout. I could also cut the plastic cover down as well.
Yep, that plastic cover will prevent you from just wacking 5mm off the LH side and keeping that cap. In addition, is the wheel built? Moving the rim to the left that much will require adding quite a ot of tension to the RH side to get the rim dished...

Why do you need to do this? Frame issue? Steel? coldset to 135mm?
Old 02-24-2014, 07:13 AM

I might have a rubber seal from a lower end hub of that era I could send...
Old 02-24-2014, 08:03 AM

They are just hubs right now. I guess I could just sell them and get something else, but they are what I have on hand and I was trying to avoid spending additional funds right now.

I also picked up a Wheel Manufacture's axle to cut down. My goal was to possibly have this be a non destructive change over just in case I wanted to move it back to 135mm in the future. It's looking like that won't happen.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:06 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neves View Post
They are just hubs right now. I guess I could just sell them and get something else, but they are what I have on hand and I was trying to avoid spending additional funds right now.

I also picked up a Wheel Manufacture's axle to cut down. My goal was to possibly have this be a non destructive change over just in case I wanted to move it back to 135mm in the future. It's looking like that won't happen.
You can do it, just won't have that plastic cover on the LH side...Also, I'd try to remove some spacers from the RH side, w/o getting the highest gear to close to the frame..makes the build easier..maybe 2mm from the RH side, 3mm from the left..which frame again?
Old 02-24-2014, 08:07 AM

Is the axle a normal steel one, or a fancy larger diameter alloy?

You could keep the same axle length, and use washers as spacers on the outsides of the dropout faces...not that it would be a very good solution...lol.
Old 02-24-2014, 09:02 AM

Thanks for the suggestion OP. I was planning on using these on a old IF, circa 1999. I got it in a trade with my buddy a few years ago.

I'm not really sure about the axle. It doesn't seem over sized, but I haven't measured it. It could be ti although, it feels relatively light. The Wheel Manufactured axle is 4130.

I will post up some pictures tonight.

Last edited by Neves; 02-24-2014 at 09:04 AM.
Old 02-24-2014, 10:25 PM

Well I went to the shop to pick up some axle spacers this evening. I didn't know what I'd need so I just picked up one of each size, maybe 6 spacers in all. I ended up removing the 1.5mm spacers from the drive side and replacing the 13.46mm spacer with 11mm of spacer on the non drive side. I also removed the 1mm spacer from the ND side as well. I don't have a 15mm cone wrench so it's a little rough, but I'm good to go as far as the spacing goes. As you can see I didn't have to butcher the plastic cover in the process.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_4463.JPG (116.1 KB, 44 views)
Old 02-25-2014, 01:03 AM

I believe these had Ti axles. Anyways, I cut mine down, killing a blade in the process, and spaced it down to 130mm. Works like a charm.
Old 02-25-2014, 01:08 AM

Before you build up the wheel, you should install a cassette and verify it clears the dropout and you can use the small cog. Oftentimes the specs are so tight that mods such as yours will cause the cassette body to contact the dropout face.