Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-29-2013, 06:18 PM
Kind of OK

Replacement Saddle Recommendations?

On Christmas day I broke my Fizik Antares VS. Not wanting to miss riding I swapped in the WTB Rocket V from my mountain bike. For some reason it's VERY comfortable. It's also a brick.

I put the saddles side by side and it looks like the abrupt width change at the rear and the flat/square profile may be the reason I was always enduring a bit of chafing on the Fizik. Nothing major, but it's not there on the WTB. I need the channel so both are great there.

What are some higher end saddle recommendations with the WTB (Concor) profile, the "Love Canal" and a bit wider nose?...and light. No bricks or ass hatchets.
Old 12-29-2013, 06:53 PM
Administrator

just looking at that WTB saddle, i'm reminded of the specialized romin, which many people seem to love. shape looks very close. i'd give that a go...

Old 12-29-2013, 07:01 PM
Vendor

They make a lighter Rocket V. I've got many friends who are on that saddle and will never switch. They find it the most comfortable of any they've tried.

I tried it, it was great. No issues with it. But I went with the Silverado model. Lighter, and more of a road fit than a mountain fit. The Chunnel is not as pronounced but still notice no pressure.

WTB has been making more cross over saddles like the Silverado. They've been known for mtn stuff and mountain guys who ride road or cross wanted lighter and more traditional saddles. The Silverado, Volt, Devo/Deva and the Valcon are those efforts.

I've been super happy with my Silverado. I suggest you try it. A good shop will have the WTB Test Ride saddle kit. There are 15 saddles in the fit kit. All the ones I mentioned are in the kit.
Old 12-29-2013, 07:01 PM

brick? do you mean heavy?

Super comfortable and brick are not usually used in the same sentence, unless you are referring to weight. WTB probably makes in a ti model which could help with grams. If it is super comfy, enjoy the hell out of not having to go through the real pain in the butt of finding another saddle.

For some reason my butt likes the WTB Pure V and that's been the weird looking saddle on all of my bikes for about the last 3 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis Moon View Post
On Christmas day I broke my Fizik Antares VS. Not wanting to miss riding I swapped in the WTB Rocket V from my mountain bike. For some reason it's VERY comfortable. It's also a brick.

I put the saddles side by side and it looks like the abrupt width change at the rear and the flat/square profile may be the reason I was always enduring a bit of chafing on the Fizik. Nothing major, but it's not there on the WTB. I need the channel so both are great there.

What are some higher end saddle recommendations with the WTB (Concor) profile, the "Love Canal" and a bit wider nose?...and light. No bricks or ass hatchets.
Old 12-29-2013, 07:10 PM

Stick with what you already know is comfortable. Not likely to improve on that.
Old 12-29-2013, 07:25 PM
Kind of OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
just looking at that WTB saddle, i'm reminded of the specialized romin, which many people seem to love. shape looks very close. i'd give that a go...
I saw the Spesh saddle down in the Classifieds and checked them out. Those look pretty close...except they're Specialized. They'd clash with my "One Less Specialized" sticker.
Old 12-29-2013, 07:25 PM

What do you mean by "it's a brick"?
Old 12-29-2013, 07:52 PM

These saddle threads can go on and on. Everyone has a favorite saddle, or one that works for them.

Lots of saddles feel good to me for a ride. Or even a couple rides each week. But to find a saddle I can ride 7 days of the week.....week after week....that's a big challenge. When I do find it, weight is not much of a factor in my thinking....within reason. For 7 day a week riding, I like narrow well padded saddles with cut outs. Currently riding a Terry Fly mostly.

My point is.....just find a saddle that lets you ride the bike in comfort. That allows you the position on the bike you like. Maybe you already found it. Get one with Ti rails if weight of stronger steel rails bothers you.
Old 12-29-2013, 07:55 PM
Kind of OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Robb View Post
What do you mean by "it's a brick"?
Heavy. 300+ grams.
Old 12-29-2013, 08:05 PM
Kind of OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
These saddle threads can go on and on. Everyone has a favorite saddle, or one that works for them.

Lots of saddles feel good to me for a ride. Or even a couple rides each week. But to find a saddle I can ride 7 days of the week.....week after week....that's a big challenge. When I do find it, weight is not much of a factor in my thinking....within reason. For 7 day a week riding, I like narrow well padded saddles with cut outs. Currently riding a Terry Fly mostly.

My point is.....just find a saddle that lets you ride the bike in comfort. That allows you the position on the bike you like. Maybe you already found it. Get one with Ti rails if weight of stronger steel rails bothers you.
At 6'4" and 180lbs, ti rails are dead to me. I bent a couple of expensive saddles back in the 90s. Are they better today? Most stuff is, but I can't afford to experiment. Comfort IS paramount, but my rides rarely go longer than 60 miles/3 hours and I'm heading into race season so my workouts are going to get shorter and more intense.
Old 12-29-2013, 08:15 PM

i think you'd enjoy the romin evo. it has a narrower nose than the regular romin and it's slightly tilted down as well. great improvements. try it out!
Old 12-29-2013, 08:50 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis Moon View Post
At 6'4" and 180lbs, ti rails are dead to me. I bent a couple of expensive saddles back in the 90s. Are they better today? Most stuff is, but I can't afford to experiment. Comfort IS paramount, but my rides rarely go longer than 60 miles/3 hours and I'm heading into race season so my workouts are going to get shorter and more intense.

WTB doesn't use tubular ti rails so you won't have an issue of bending or breaking. That is usually the common, tubular breaks. Never had a solid one break.

Also, if you are looking for lighter, the ti version is 215 grams. So not stupid light but not heavy. And you can't go wrong with the original Chunnel style saddle.

For me, I can't use one with a cutout. It puts pressure on my gentleman bits. I can do a Chunnel, but not a full cut out. So if you're happy with a Chunnel, keep that style.

For hose wondering why I call it a Chunnel, I have jokingly called it a c@ck tunnel or Chunnel for short for like forever.