Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-18-2013, 12:26 PM

New Blood Pressure Guidelines.....anyone have an opinion about this?

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/19/he...?emc=eta1&_r=0

Any cardiologists on here? I'm 72, and BP is usually in 130's to 140 range over 80's (without BP meds), (115-120/70 after a ride), and Doc wants me on BP medicine....50 MG Losartin. Hate the stuff. Makes me feel like I want to go to sleep all the time, even on 25 MG. Have no other risk factors. Based on this article....think I'm gonna stop taking it. Feeling lethargic most of the time surely is more damaging to your health than mildly elevated BP. All my other numbers are good, cholesterol, etc. Will admit....25 MG of Losartin doesn't seem to hinder my riding performance, but after ride, just want to go sit and nap. Anyone else have this issue going in their lives? New guidelines might get you off BP meds.

Last edited by Ralph; 12-18-2013 at 01:09 PM.
Old 12-18-2013, 02:32 PM

I think this is fabulous. It will lower the stress level in my doctor when he sees me

Seriously, I have been working to lower my blood pressure, particularly diastolic, and have been having good success keeping in the range suggested in this article. But not a lot lower. I'm in the age bracket, so it's nice to know that some rethinking of "normal" is going on, which is as it should be.

One of the most successful moves I've made is to cut back on coffee and brew it using an Aeropress, which has a paper filter. The paper filters cafetrol, which contributes to higher blood pressure.

No one wants to be more at risk for stroke, or whatever, so blood pressure is an issue to mind, though. But meds can cause collateral problems, as you suggest, and it would be nice to avoid them where they are not truly needed.
Old 12-18-2013, 02:40 PM

Describe your symptoms to your doc and ask him about some other class of blood pressure medication.

I have high BP and a few years ago was prescribed Atenolol. That stuff made me so tired that I couldn't shovel the snow off of my driveway. The doc switched medications and I was back to normal.
Old 12-18-2013, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 572cv View Post

One of the most successful moves I've made is to cut back on coffee and brew it using an Aeropress, which has a paper filter. The paper filters cafetrol, which contributes to higher blood pressure.
Did not know this, and as a lover of French Press coffee, not happy to hear it. I see mostly that cafestol increases cholesterol levels, but am going to research some more. BTW, if anyone else wants to look into it, it's "cafestol."
Old 12-18-2013, 02:51 PM
Engine problems

Sweet. I spent 10 years trying to get my BP UP for physicals because the Air Force docs were afraid that I would pass out and die if I pulled too many g's. Maybe this is just the medical community throwing up their metaphorical hands because such a large portion of the population is so unhealthy...
Old 12-18-2013, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogdriver View Post
Sweet. I spent 10 years trying to get my BP UP for physicals because the Air Force docs were afraid that I would pass out and die if I pulled too many g's. Maybe this is just the medical community throwing up their metaphorical hands because such a large portion of the population is so unhealthy...
it is either death panels, or else pharmaceutical firms figure they can make more money with sicker patients.
Old 12-18-2013, 03:09 PM
Older Than You

Quote:
Originally Posted by jds108 View Post
Describe your symptoms to your doc and ask him about some other class of blood pressure medication.

I have high BP and a few years ago was prescribed Atenolol. That stuff made me so tired that I couldn't shovel the snow off of my driveway. The doc switched medications and I was back to normal.
+1
There are zillions of blood pressure meds out there. One of them should work for you.
Or just ride your bike all the time....
Old 12-18-2013, 03:11 PM
Veni Veloce Vomiti

I recently had my bp checked at a company health screening. It was 127 /72. I got dinged for being over 120 on the top side. I am on no meds. I think it's pretty stupid.

What has been posted above is closer to correct: Big Pharma is trying to make more money.

Mike in AR
Old 12-18-2013, 03:20 PM

You don't meed medication with blood pressure in the 130's over 80 range imho. Doctors tend to be prescription happy.....about almost everything.
Old 12-18-2013, 04:20 PM

^^^...depending on family history. My father and older brother both died from heart failure, so my GP of 15+ years put me on a low dose of Diavan, even though I'm extremely active and had a BP of 130/80. Now consistently 110/65 but must admit I've experienced no side effects.
Old 12-18-2013, 04:28 PM

Unusual symptoms for Lorsartan sounds more like what you would see with a beta blocker.
Lots of docs use ARBs and ACE-I in active/athletic people because they have very little to no effect on heart rate or cardiac output. Many docs will treat that level of BP. With BP it is the long term effects on the microvascular beds you worry about and will get you visits to the dialysis center or heart failure or stroke.
Old 12-18-2013, 04:39 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Flare to land, squat to pee.

-Former USN Phantom(and Turkey and USN Viper and USN Dog) Phyler
Old 12-18-2013, 05:03 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
How many g's does a C-130 pull? 1.5 ?
Old 12-18-2013, 05:24 PM
Engine problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Flare to land, squat to pee.

-Former USN Phantom(and Turkey and USN Viper and USN Dog) Phyler
This just hurts. I'll eat it, though, as Friday night at the club was a lot more fun than Friday night on the boat.
Old 12-18-2013, 05:26 PM
Engine problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
How many g's does a C-130 pull? 1.5 ?
Dunno. I will, however, confess that my dog peed on my leg and walked away when I told him I was giving up flying fighters to be an airline pilot...