Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-01-2013, 08:12 PM
needs adult supervision

Impressions/Opinions on Colnago C59?

For those who've owned or ridden a C59, what did you think? I had a C50 a few years ago and really liked the stable, unflustered composure of its ride. Curious whether the C59 is as good as it is pricey. Thanks in advance.
Old 09-01-2013, 08:29 PM

I've been wondering the same thing. Have a 585 and a 586...
Old 09-01-2013, 09:03 PM

Somebody please answer this question as I'm on the verge of a C59 purchase myself. I've owned C40/50s and loved them and now I'm jonesing for another piece of lugged Colnago badness between my legs.
Old 09-02-2013, 03:54 PM

I have owned a C40 which I sold to get a C50 and then added a C59 last year. I would describe the evolution of the series this way: everything you like about the C40 got better with the C50 and the C59 improved all those great qualities! Each version got a little more in each category, a little lighter, a little smoother riding, stiffness increased or what I can only describe as a solid feeling but not at the detriment to comfort or responsiveness or feel of the road and of course the price increased as well!! When I bought my C40 it retailed for $3800.00 and was the bench mark for the extreme end of frameset prices (being in the industry I paid less than $3800.00 but being in the industry also means making less money so it was an equivalent investment in terms of money and wandering if the ride was worth the price which was a question QUICKLY answered on the very first ride!!) and now at $5899.99 I look at the C59 as a bargain when comparing it to other lugged carbon frames at the very top of the high performance high quality world. The thought of this sometimes makes me shake my head in disbelief at the prices now but when I am out riding I don't have any questions even for a second on the cost versus enjoyment return. Worth every penny!!
Old 09-02-2013, 03:59 PM

And I will add, I just got back from Eurobike and the return of the Art Decor colors in red, blue, and yellow makes me very happy!! Classic Colnago paint schemes on the very latest framesets makes it a perfect balance between classic Colnago and the latest modern framesets.
Old 09-02-2013, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C50 View Post
I have owned a C40 which I sold to get a C50 and then added a C59 last year. I would describe the evolution of the series this way: everything you like about the C40 got better with the C50 and the C59 improved all those great qualities! Each version got a little more in each category, a little lighter, a little smoother riding, stiffness increased or what I can only describe as a solid feeling but not at the detriment to comfort or responsiveness or feel of the road and of course the price increased as well!! When I bought my C40 it retailed for $3800.00 and was the bench mark for the extreme end of frameset prices (being in the industry I paid less than $3800.00 but being in the industry also means making less money so it was an equivalent investment in terms of money and wandering if the ride was worth the price which was a question QUICKLY answered on the very first ride!!) and now at $5899.99 I look at the C59 as a bargain when comparing it to other lugged carbon frames at the very top of the high performance high quality world. The thought of this sometimes makes me shake my head in disbelief at the prices now but when I am out riding I don't have any questions even for a second on the cost versus enjoyment return. Worth every penny!!
That's all I needed or wanted to hear. You sir have just "cost me" a chunk of change and I couldn't be more excited. Thanks for the excellent "evolutionary" description of the bikes. Now it's just about picking my color pref and I'm good to go.
Old 09-02-2013, 06:42 PM

I've had a C50, and then later moved to a C59, one traditional and another compact. I would describe the bike as neutral. It's the Colnago square geometry which I feel makes it a very nice bike to ride. I feel good riding it, especially on long, rolling centuries.
If you have ridden the C50 before, and liked it, then you shouldn't find any fault with the C59.
Old 09-02-2013, 09:04 PM

How long have you guys owned/ridden your Colnago C-series? I only ask in re. to the frames' longevity.
Old 09-02-2013, 09:34 PM

For those unfamiliar with the beautiful c 59
Cheers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (61.8 KB, 674 views)

Last edited by Fixed; 09-02-2013 at 10:01 PM.
Old 09-02-2013, 09:43 PM

10 years and counting

i own a C40 that was ridden by canadian ex-pro Mark Walters, ridden in the 2003 SFGP and Worlds RR and it's still going as if it were new. 1 season of use by a pro has gotta count for a lifetime of riding by a regular guy, plus 9 years after that!

ive only owned a C40-mk3 and C50-mk1, so i cant comment on the C59 but i can comment on the evolution of the breed. i still own and very much like them both but i think the C40 makes a better high-performance all-day-in-the-saddle bike. sure the C50 is stiffer from nose to tail and it's quite obvious with the first pedalstroke or standing sprint, but i never found the C40 lacking in stiffness to begin with. the C50s extra stiffness doesnt make it faster, it just makes it stiffer. the C40 is a perfect balance between stiffness and all-day comfort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd74 View Post
How long have you guys owned/ridden your Colnago C-series? I only ask in re. to the frames' longevity.

Last edited by wallymann; 09-02-2013 at 09:52 PM.
Old 09-02-2013, 09:54 PM

It's interesting how much weight the disc brakes add to the C-59 frame, and how few component and wheel choice a person has when buying a C-59 disc brake-equipped frame, all this according to Wrench Science.
Old 09-03-2013, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd74 View Post
I picked up a lightly used C59 last year and love it. All of the reviews and mktg blog of responsiveness, comfort, tracking, etc. are confirmed. Only ride ~ 3K miles/yr these days so expect it to last at least a couple decades.

It's also remedied my bike G.A.S- for now

Last edited by enr1co; 09-03-2013 at 01:44 PM.
Old 09-03-2013, 01:50 PM

They look great in the flesh (saw a blacked out one at one of my local shops), but I have a hard time thinking they're better than anything the folks at Time are cranking out.
Old 09-03-2013, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
They look great in the flesh (saw a blacked out one at one of my local shops), but I have a hard time thinking they're better than anything the folks at Time are cranking out.
How about a C-59 vs. an also-lugged Parlee?
Old 09-03-2013, 02:16 PM
needs adult supervision

i wouldn't put this in the better-than category, more in the if-you-like-it category...but a colnago rides with a certain stability, or solidness, or calmness (choose your word) that is part of its hallmark or DNA. other builders have other trademark traits. part of what makes choosing a bike fun...finding the trait that floats yer boat. and there's no doubt that time makes great bikes.