Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-30-2013, 02:03 PM

OT - Pre-Paid wireless plans?

My wife's cell contract with AT&T is about to expire and we're looking at different options and the pre-paid, no-contract thing keeps getting more press.

What do you guys think? Is there anyone here that is a heavy smartphone user that is on a pre-paid program? What's been your experience? Is the reception, coverage, and speed as good as a contract plan?

She would like to upgrade to a iPhone 4S from her previous contract. It looks like buying a iP4S outright and employing a pre-paid plan would be cheaper than a 2 year contract with AT&T (or similar). The breakeven point seems to be about 10 months on a pre-paid plan (Virgin).

Have any of you guys done this? Thoughts?

Thanks!

Texbike
Old 07-30-2013, 02:31 PM
Kind of OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by texbike View Post
My wife's cell contract with AT&T is about to expire and we're looking at different options and the pre-paid, no-contract thing keeps getting more press.

What do you guys think? Is there anyone here that is a heavy smartphone user that is on a pre-paid program? What's been your experience? Is the reception, coverage, and speed as good as a contract plan?

She would like to upgrade to a iPhone 4S from her previous contract. It looks like buying a iP4S outright and employing a pre-paid plan would be cheaper than a 2 year contract with AT&T (or similar). The breakeven point seems to be about 10 months on a pre-paid plan (Virgin).

Have any of you guys done this? Thoughts?

Thanks!

Texbike
We have a "family plan" through Verizon...and are looking into breaking our contract. The coverage is incredible, but otherwise, the cost is huge and the perks are small. My wife did the math and it looks like we could do three prepaid smart phones and unlimited data packages for less than we pay for Verizon.

Caveat: This is business, which means it will cost a LOT more than you could calculate, or they will tell you, up front. Do your research on line and insist that they tell you EXACTLY how much your bill will be. They'll say that they can't, but thats malarkey. They don't want to.
Old 07-30-2013, 02:33 PM

Might want to check out Straight Talk.
I was contemplating to switch from AT&T to them myself but I have unlimited data with AT&T grandfathered in which I would lose so I am a little hesitant.
Old 07-30-2013, 02:56 PM

I have Boost Mobile and it is great for me. The Android unlimited plan is $55/month. After 6 on-time payments, it drops to $50, after six more, it is $45, and after six more, it is $40 a month. With a non-smartphone, your payment bottoms out at $35/month. This is for unlimited talk, text, and data (although data throttling will occur at some point). Boost uses Sprint's network which has fine coverage. If you don't mind paying full price for the phone up front, prepaid service is the way to go IMO. Even with the cost of the phone I save a substantial amount over a similar plan with a contract carrier.

The downsides:

1. As I mentioned, you pay full retail for the device. This is not good if you like to get a new phone every year or every six months.

2.The data service is not the fastest - although they are rolling out 4G LTE, which is a big improvement, it is not yet available in all areas.

3. They do not offer the latest devices - so if you want the cutting-edge smartphone, you will have to get creative.

4. They are used to dealing with deadbeats, so you will get a million payment reminders every month, and they will cut off your service right away if you miss a payment - though to their credit, they will also turn it back on right away once you've paid.

I hope this helps. Good luck!
Old 07-30-2013, 03:27 PM

I use Virgin and have for almost the last two years. For $35/mo you get unlimited text/data and 300 minutes of talk, plenty for me.

They use the same network as Sprint and you buy your refill cards at Walmart. Sure you pay more up front for your phone, but in the long run it is a much better deal than a contract.
Old 07-30-2013, 03:30 PM

I assume she has an AT&T phone. Maybe request AT&T to unlock the phone and use it with T-Mobile's no contract required plans?
Old 07-30-2013, 03:35 PM

Based on what Tyler said in his book they're good if you're doping.

Other than that we're in a Verizon family plan. It is expensive - smartphone, text type phone, MiFi, limited texts. I used the MiFi somewhat regularly and use it heavily when working races, so that's one thing that I'd have to consider.

This question has perked my interest in the pre-paid thing.
Old 07-31-2013, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxbailey View Post
I assume she has an AT&T phone. Maybe request AT&T to unlock the phone and use it with T-Mobile's no contract required plans?
Yessir. You are correct. However, it's an older phone and she wants to upgrade to a 4S. I know, not the most recent, BUT...that's what she wants.

Thanks for the advice so far.

Anyone else using a pre-paid plan? Especially one that has the unlimited voice and data?

Thanks!

Texbike
Old 07-31-2013, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texbike View Post
Yessir. You are correct. However, it's an older phone and she wants to upgrade to a 4S. I know, not the most recent, BUT...that's what she wants.

Thanks for the advice so far.

Anyone else using a pre-paid plan? Especially one that has the unlimited voice and data?

Thanks!

Texbike
Regardless, you should still have the phone unlocked. That way the phone can be used when traveling overseas with readily available GSM cards.
Old 07-31-2013, 09:05 PM

I would suggest Page Plus through Kitty Wireless(dealer-great customer service) http://www.kittywireless.com/. They have really good plans and use the Verizon network (best coverage). Only 2 drawbacks: First, TOS says no iphones, although many people apparently use them without problems; Second, Page Plus was just purchased by América Móvil (Carlos Slim). AM has bought up several other resellers and has degraded customer service. Still worth checking out.
Old 07-31-2013, 11:02 PM

Prepaid is for those users that barely use a cell and barely use data (if they actually need it).... since she is in AT&T, att has 15 cents a minute plans and stuff...
Old 07-31-2013, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraman6970 View Post
Prepaid is for those users that barely use a cell and barely use data (if they actually need it).... since she is in AT&T, att has 15 cents a minute plans and stuff...
uhh. what?

i currently use page plus for cell service.
i've used boost mobile for work cell service, and tmobile prepaid.

howardforums is the place for cell phone everything. there's a whole section on prepaid mvno service options. (mvno= mobile virtual network operator)

Last edited by likebikes; 07-31-2013 at 11:32 PM.
Old 08-01-2013, 07:09 AM

+1 for virginmobileusa.com
Have used it for years. But no iphone with them in the USA.
iphone is so much more $$ with ATT it's just crazy. I could not do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlittlefield View Post
I use Virgin and have for almost the last two years. For $35/mo you get unlimited text/data and 300 minutes of talk, plenty for me.

They use the same network as Sprint and you buy your refill cards at Walmart. Sure you pay more up front for your phone, but in the long run it is a much better deal than a contract.
Old 08-01-2013, 07:49 AM

Just went through this - ATT has a work discount, brings my bill down to $15 more a month than the prepaid / buy your own phone plan over the 2 years. It is LTE, which is not offered on prepaid. LTE smokes 4g. Also, prepaid in my area really only work in a large city or close to a large city -they say its the same network, but you are purchasing leftover bandwidth, not top tier, so it really is not the same - it will work, but its not the same. Also -Apple is not going to make iphone 4 anymore.
Old 08-01-2013, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh_on_the_cape View Post
+1 for virginmobileusa.com
Have used it for years. But no iphone with them in the USA.
not true, virgin prepaid offers the iphone.
http://www.virginmobileusa.com/iphone