Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-11-2013, 12:24 PM

Location: I'm here, I'm there, I'm everywhere...I'm the egg-man
Backpack vs Messenger bag?

I'm contemplating riding into work(school) on days that I can foresee not having to come back home after dark*. My commute is 10 miles each way, with a marginal bit of rollers...haven't bothered checking my Garmin but I'd hazard close to 600 - 800 ft of ascent. Yesterday while riding in to work my back felt like it was going to break, and the same feeling some 9 hours later in the evening as well. In fact it was worse on the way back! Now, I use a backpack which is quite an old one, mainly because I carry my laptop + papers + notebook, around everywhere I go. The backpack weighs in about 20~22lbs on days I ride (change of clothes, footwear).

Here are my related Q's:
1. Do you think the backpack could be the cause of the back-ache?
I haven't been riding into work everyday, just once or twice a week, but it hurts every time. It was just unbearable yesterday, enough for me to swear off riding in without solving the root cause of the pain.

2. Do you think a messenger bag will help in alleviating the pain?
I can't see how a lop-sided bag makes any weight-proportion sense whatsoever. Besides, its the stupidest looking contraption I can conceive to carry things around on a bike...but, given its popularity despite its appearance, maybe it does have some benefits that I'm not reaping.

3. If the answer to Q2 is a YES, then can you suggest bag models I can go in for. For what its worth, I'm a really flexible guy with pretty darn good core fitness, and weigh 120 lbs. Not sure if its even necessary, but it might help you get a mental picture.

4. Would an internal frame backpack be better? My present one is quite an ancient one.

* Let's leave lights out of it, mainly because I can't be bothered with riding in the dark (personal preference).

Last edited by slidey; 05-11-2013 at 01:46 PM. Reason: Added internal frame backpack option
Old 05-11-2013, 12:32 PM

My experience with carrying alot of weight on your back for an extended time says that backpacks are far superior.

With that said you could have a really crappy backpack?
Old 05-11-2013, 12:56 PM

Yeah, I'm considering that conclusion as well. I wonder, have you had any luck with internal frame backpacks like Kelty, for on-bike commuting?

My present one is around 5 years old, and the padding on the shoulder straps have all but worn out, and there is some padding for the back but clearly it isn't being very effective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuscanyswe View Post
My experience with carrying alot of weight on your back for an extended time says that backpacks are far superior.

With that said you could have a really crappy backpack?
Old 05-11-2013, 01:05 PM

Can you mount a rack on the back of your bike for a pannier?
Old 05-11-2013, 01:06 PM

I think that a better backpack might help a lot, but 10 miles each way would be sort of the border for me between ok and needing a different arrangement for carrying that amount of weight.

Is there any way to leave the laptop at home? There's a big difference between 10 miles with a change of clothes on your back, with work shoes, computer, etc. at the office, versus everything in the bag. If you have to cart everything, you might look into the question whether there's some way to get it off your back and onto a rack -- even on a road (versus touring) bike there are ways to do this if you'll allow for a bit of a kludge.

A decent pack is way better than a lousy one. Something that fits the contour of your back, keeps most of the weight low, doesn't sway too much, has decent padded straps (and waist and sternum), and either a padded back or a sprung back (like Vaude or Deuter).

A messenger bag is a great way to get a lot of stuff in a bag, including big stuff, but apart from capacity, and the ease of getting things in and out of it quickly (especially handy for . . . you know, messengers) and, I guess, 1997 street cred, if only on certain streets, it's not that great. You need to pack it more carefully than a pack, you'll need to be extra careful about sharp edges or hard objects, and it's going to shift around while you ride (folks who say otherwise . . . lots of ways to reduce this, but I've no idea how they get rid of this without either kidding themselves or a whole lot of duct tape).
Old 05-11-2013, 02:37 PM

I use a messenger bag, but if you're back is hurting get a rack.
Old 05-11-2013, 02:49 PM

I agree with djg.
If you can't get the load way under 20 lbs. you need to get it off your back and onto the bike somehow.
I generally have 5-8 pounds to take to work. Most of the year it's in a front bag. Winter, beater bike, it goes in a messenger bag on my back. It's an annoyance.
If it was 20 lbs. it would be intolerable.
Old 05-11-2013, 03:34 PM

My experience is that messenger bags, even "good" ones like ReLoad, Chrome and Timbuk2 are worse on my back with heavy loads than backpacks. I like messenger bags if the load is less than 15 pounds and I need to access contents frequently.

I suspect that even with a good backpack (internal frame, chest strap, etc.) 20-25 pounds may cause back strain when riding. I've taken to using a large Carradice saddlebag & support if it'll fit, otherwise it goes in panniers. Not the easiest solution, but worth it if it means back pain during the ride and throughout the day.
Old 05-11-2013, 03:41 PM

I would stick with a backpack if your having pain back there. A messenger bag is strictly for convenience. (I use one) but a packpack is the best for proper weight distribution. If that still doesn't work I would look into a basket, panniers, or rack as stated above. Good luck
Old 05-11-2013, 03:48 PM

Thanks for chiming in. I wish I had the chance of doing panniers, etc but my bikes are all road bikes, more akin to race bikes. Moreover having a setup which is exclusive to commuting twice a week or so isn't worth the investment at this point of time (limited resources)...I had much rather just continue taking the bus to school. However, I think I'm going to purchase a new internal frame backpack as a replacement for the present one and see how that goes. That way if it still fails, I will still be able to use the IF backpack as an everyday thing unlike an oversized saddle bag, which is the option I'm most keen on presently. If indeed I find myself commuting much more frequently, I do have another bike in mind for it...a yeti arc-x, with cross tyres
Old 05-11-2013, 04:04 PM

I recently saw a rack on line that mounted under both seat rails & to seatpost. It could take most of your weight. I will look around & see if I can find it. Anybody else recall seeing it ? With 2 mounting points it looked strong.
Old 05-11-2013, 04:55 PM

When I commuted to work, about 15 miles each way, I would take a weeks worth of clothes on Monday and haul home daily or when I drove in again. Fortunately we had a shower in that facility.
Backpack would be the way to go, maybe leaving the laptop at the office too?
Old 05-11-2013, 04:57 PM

Yes, stay with the backpack, but maybe not the one you are using: You definitely want one with a well padded waist belt. Get the weight on your hips and off your shoulders. 20lbs. is not too much to carry if done right. You gotta cinch up the waist belt firmly, then adjust the shoulder straps for balance. Place the heaviest weight down low, and lock the compression straps down hard so the weight is closer to your body.

FWIW, with a mess bag, the majority of the weight is on one shoulder, even with the minimalist weight stabilization strap in play. Alternate the carrying shoulder daily. Don't go there unless you are slinging packages for a living.

Last edited by pbarry; 05-11-2013 at 06:53 PM.
Old 05-11-2013, 06:15 PM
Super Moderator

I think you should consider a Carradice along with your packback. You are carrying up to 20% your bodyweight in the pack and with a 10 mile commute that puts a bit of strain on your back. I have about the same commute and if i stop at the store for groceries it really puts almost too much weight on me. Messenger bags look cool but are really meant for.... messengers.
Old 05-11-2013, 06:21 PM
I <Heart> Dirt

Re: Backpack vs Messenger bag?

I've used Carradice bags for several years, and they work very well. The SQR bags are easy to install and remove.