Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-10-2013, 11:32 AM

Production Trend -Steel Bikes and Wide Tires - Your Thoughts

I admit, I've been bitten.

In the last four months, I picked up a Surly Cross Check as my allarounder SS bomber, followed by the more roadish, but still wide tire, BMC Road. And, despite the fact that I have a number of very nice skinny tired road machines, I have been almost exclusively riding the CC and BMC.

The market has also reacted to this trend, with both big and small manufacturers offering wide tire steel.

I have my own thoughts about what may be driving the trend, but am interested in yours.

Is this the revenge of Grant Petersen and the Elves?

Oh, and as always, your photos are encouraged: Here are mine, which you've seen before.

Old 05-10-2013, 11:37 AM
Classics Fan

Well, people are either being very independent minded and demanding the kind of products they want to use; or they are being led like sheep to a new product category that is different enough from what they have that they can be convinced to shell out cash for a new bike.

I am not really sure which it is that is driving the trend, perhaps some of both. What I am sure about is that it is a healthy rebuke of the gram obsessed racer types in favor of bikes that can handle more than smooth tarmac.
Old 05-10-2013, 11:41 AM

Not just steel.

I have sold a few BMC Granfondo's (Carbon and Alum) and a number of Trek Domane (Carbon and Alum) bikes this season.

"Endurance Road" is a thing now.
Old 05-10-2013, 11:58 AM

what size tires are on those bikes?

i'm switching out my road to 25mm pro4s on 23mm rims, which will probably balloon to about 28mm.

my crosshairs has 35mm schwalbe duremes also on 23mm rims, which are very comfortable.
Old 05-10-2013, 12:00 PM

BMC -- 32 Gators

CC -- 28 Gators
Old 05-10-2013, 12:01 PM
I <Heart> Dirt

No good will come of this.

Next thing you know, people will be venturing off the paved roads and onto *GASP* dirt or gravel...
Old 05-10-2013, 12:04 PM
That guy..

damn posted wrong pic

Last edited by mktng; 05-10-2013 at 12:07 PM.
Old 05-10-2013, 12:26 PM

I have been a fan of these kinds of bikes for years. There are 3 Rivendells plus a Strada Bianca in our garage. Just because they allow fat tires doesn't mean I couldn't run 700x20 tires if I wanted to so there is no down side for me.

The condition of our roads has gotten a lot worse over the last 10 years as well so this reinforces the appeal of fatter tires.
Old 05-10-2013, 12:35 PM

Can't speak to 'trends' but I'm having fun on this one of late.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2594-1.jpg (147.2 KB, 924 views)
Old 05-10-2013, 12:49 PM

as car usage diminishes in the current generation
more and more people are cycling to commute

It makes sense to have steel frames for durability and comfort (and price), and larger tires (for durability and comfort), and fender clearance --

so it does not surprise me at all that bike companies would be trending that way.

I can say that as I age I am "trending" this way in my tastes.
Old 05-10-2013, 12:52 PM
Retrogrouch

I've been riding around on this lately. 1994ish SLX and plenty of room for Challenge 30mm tires. I like it. And yes, I do ride it with pedals. I do see a lot more folks asking for more tire/fender clearance. I've always preferred it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PA220383.jpg (98.2 KB, 898 views)
Old 05-10-2013, 01:21 PM

I have never in my nearly 35 years or road riding (from racing to all around riding) purchased a tire narrower then 25c (actual width). So as I see it, this is not a trend.
Lou
Old 05-11-2013, 10:54 AM
formerly Landshark_98

Well, I went real wide - 29er 2.1" wide - love my Singular "humvee" for just getting around our crappy roads, turning onto gravel and dirt paths, not to techy single track etc.

I run 28-32s on my one Kirk, love that as well. Really comfortable ride and with fenders is a great year around go about anywhere a road bike can take you.

But jumping on the Peg Marcelo with 25s, that is a whole different ride entirely.
This one makes me want to ride faster, harder, to get lean and tan and sit at an outdoor cafe with an espresso doing an impression of Mario (which of course would be impossible in any event, but particularly so for someone with very little hair on their head).

They're all good. Different horses for different courses.
Old 05-11-2013, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFC View Post
I admit, I've been bitten.

In the last four months, I picked up a Surly Cross Check as my allarounder SS bomber, followed by the more roadish, but still wide tire, BMC Road. And, despite the fact that I have a number of very nice skinny tired road machines, I have been almost exclusively riding the CC and BMC.

The market has also reacted to this trend, with both big and small manufacturers offering wide tire steel.

I have my own thoughts about what may be driving the trend, but am interested in yours.

Is this the revenge of Grant Petersen and the Elves?

Oh, and as always, your photos are encouraged: Here are mine, which you've seen before.

IMO it's Jan Heine way more than it is Grant. Rivendell moved to the "regular-reach brakes and wider-tire capability" camp early in the 2000s, iirc, but Jan's work in tire testing and his involvement in the development of wider high-performance tires (as well as in promoting 650b, I suppose) have really gotten the snowball effect to speed up. Conditions were 'right' as well, too, I suspect, due to the aging of the core demographic that spends too much money on bike stuff - people like us!

Last edited by retrogrouchy; 05-11-2013 at 11:27 AM. Reason: fergot a dang quotation mark!
Old 05-11-2013, 11:36 AM
Back At It!

I have vowed to never ride anything smaller than 25mm and probably not smaller than 28's to be honest...

My Salsa currently with 28mm Clements

BMC MonsterCross with 43mm Rock and Roads

and the ultimate fat! (ok this one doesn't get ridden on the road much )