Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-29-2013, 01:25 PM
needs adult supervision

OT: an idea. then a dream. now something real.

i hope it's ok for me to post about this. if it's not, mods, please delete, no worries.

when i was in 8th grade, i ran my first race on a dirt track by a grade school in portland, oregon. as i ran down that track, something clicked inside me. this thing, this running, this being an athlete just felt like...me.

since that day, pretty much every day, except for the days i was hurt, i've tried to do something athletic. for me it's like breathing. it's just who i am, what i do. i think being an athlete, particularly not being a great athlete by any means, just a dedicated one, has taught me a lot about life, others and myself.

watching my 16-year-old daughter pour her heart into crew, i see her following the same, sweat-soaked path of discovery and learning and soul-searching. i love watching her row with her heart as much as her body. it's doing her good, i think, a world of good.

sports can do that, played the right way.

fifteen years ago, three words came into my head that summed up everything i love about sports, and much of what i love about life.

it's taken me that long to work up the balls to try to make this dream and these three words something more than just an idea in my head. it's safer, less scary if your dreams stay inside.

but stuff happened in my life. like it or not, the universe made me ready.

and the time feels right too. we seem ready for a conversation about how we get what we want in sports and in life. as athletes and as people.

would you tell me what you think?

http://democracyofsweat.com/

thank you.
Old 03-29-2013, 01:45 PM
Epic=No Smiles

I like the unified aesthetic. Stuff looks great. Rapha of the locker room, and I mean that in the best way.
Old 03-29-2013, 01:48 PM

A cool concept, very nice web site, and good looking product. May be a customer soon. I'm racing my bike this summer in South Africa at the World Transplant Games, which is a competition for people like me who have organ transplants. The "Screw the odds" shirt would be a popular choice for that group, because that's what we all have done.

One suggestion: Add some expressions that capture the fun of being athletic. It's not all gritting your teeth and fighting; it's also a blast!
Old 03-29-2013, 01:55 PM
needs adult supervision

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpm View Post
One suggestion: Add some expressions that capture the fun of being athletic. It's not all gritting your teeth and fighting; it's also a blast!
great point. that's certainly part of being an athlete. we will definitely fill out the voice in the future. thanks. and all good luck this summer!
Old 03-29-2013, 01:59 PM
Administrator

looks great.

you need to add a cycling jersey to the mix. remember when you're out riding, you are, literally a rolling billboard. no better way to strike up conversations and get the word out about what you're doing then at stop lights with other riders. the jersey gets that conversation started.
Old 03-29-2013, 02:19 PM
Administrator

Very inspiring James. You're off to a great start.

William
Old 03-29-2013, 02:29 PM

Location: I'm here, I'm there, I'm everywhere...I'm the egg-man
I love the concept, and in the fleeting glimpse I could afford it looks headed in the right direction.

The one thing that came to my mind when I saw your site was "SufferFest" ala the podcast. I've never heard one, but I've heard plenty of people who swear by it; make of that what you will.

Good luck!
Old 03-29-2013, 02:53 PM

Great dream - and a great start on it. Trying to build something like this is certainly admirable, and I hope it takes off.
Old 03-29-2013, 03:02 PM
needs adult supervision

to christian, angry scientist, william, slidey, and colod, thank you for taking the time to look at the site and comment. it's appreciated.
Old 03-29-2013, 03:13 PM

i love it. the site looks great and the aesthetic is perfect for the subject.
the best part is that each item description has a story that every single one of us has experienced (that moment of defeat, witnessing the lone runner on the road, etc) and puts it into a larger context. it all seemed so romantic and grandiose in our youth but i, for one, have lost touch with much of that.

thanks for the refresher.
i'm your newest customer.
Old 03-29-2013, 03:16 PM
#bottlestorage

I like it...i look forward to watching it develop.

and i liked the facebook page as well.

Cheers,

Paul
Old 03-29-2013, 03:23 PM
Mr Dobalina

The "screw the odds" should be written from the side of the underdog that overcome the odds...no?
Old 03-29-2013, 04:09 PM
needs adult supervision

Quote:
Originally Posted by vqdriver View Post
i love it. the site looks great and the aesthetic is perfect for the subject.
the best part is that each item description has a story that every single one of us has experienced (that moment of defeat, witnessing the lone runner on the road, etc) and puts it into a larger context. it all seemed so romantic and grandiose in our youth but i, for one, have lost touch with much of that.

thanks for the refresher.
i'm your newest customer.
that makes me happy, vqdriver, that it rang true for you. i know we aren't right for everyone, but glad your first impression was a good one. thanks for commenting.
Old 03-29-2013, 04:13 PM
needs adult supervision

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugbysecondrow View Post
I like it...i look forward to watching it develop.

and i liked the facebook page as well.

Cheers,

Paul
paul, you're dead on. these are our first baby steps. the real work is to make the idea come to life out in the world. to walk our talk. that's a big challenge but it's one we're up for. it's funny, paul, you're one of the forum members i was most curious to know your take. thank you for giving it.
Old 03-29-2013, 04:18 PM
needs adult supervision

Quote:
Originally Posted by firerescuefin View Post
The "screw the odds" should be written from the side of the underdog that overcome the odds...no?
firerescue, that's an interesting point. for me, the best lines are those that can be seen different ways, have each person put their meaning to it.

for me, i could see every kid on the florida gulf coast hoops team tonight come out in a 'STO' t-shirt. it's what every david needs to believe when they step on the court against goliath.

thanks for taking the time look at the site and share a thought.