Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-09-2013, 08:54 AM
Administrator

wired powertap wheel question???

i'm still dabbling with the idea of getting into power measurement CHEAP. can anyone tell me what i would need to get the set-up for sale below working??

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wired-Powert...item337f0c5d1f
Old 01-09-2013, 09:00 AM
Epic=No Smiles

Sharkfin, wires, LYC (I think).
Old 01-09-2013, 09:35 AM

nick, don't go wired, dude.. go wireless, have everything integrate to your garmin, so much easier (albeit more expensive). and you won't have to get a harness for each bike you put it on..

Try and make this work: http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/bik/3527566229.html
Old 01-09-2013, 09:41 AM
Epic=No Smiles

Nick, just train on feel, dude!
Old 01-09-2013, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
i'm still dabbling with the idea of getting into power measurement CHEAP. can anyone tell me what i would need to get the set-up for sale below working??

The post doesn't indicate what parts come with the Wheels. You need to inquire about the CPU, wiring harness/cadence sensor, and heart rate monitor transmitter. Wired units obvious will not work with Ant+ receivers, and the Powertap CPU is not compatible with Polar HR transmitters. My recollection is that some Powertap CPUs used coded HRMs, and some earlier ones did not. You might ask which one comes with the Powertap you're looking at.

I still have a wired unit on the bike that sits on my trainer. It works fine, though I really hate the Powertap CPU, which does not display all the information I like simultaneously (i.e, Power, Avg Power, HR, RPM, Speed).

As an aside, there hopefully will be a bunch of new pedal-based power meters coming to market in the upcoming months -- the Brim Brothers Zone (http://www.brimbrothers.com/2011/06/announcing-zone/, Garmin Vector (http://sites.garmin.com/vector/#power), etc. I say "hopefully" because the Vector has been vaporware for a while, though Garmin obviously has begun marketing the thing.

I likely will be switching to Brim Brothers Zone as soon as they are available (I was sold on the Vector until Garmin decided to use Exostar pedals rather than Speedplay Zeros). My guess is that when these new power meters come to market, there will be a lot of Powertap wireless hubs for sale on eBay. The ability to use multiple wheelsets and easily use the power meter on different bikes should be a real game changer.

Last edited by djg21; 01-09-2013 at 10:04 AM.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djg21 View Post
The post doesn't indicate what parts come with the Wheels. You need to inquire about the CPU, wiring harness/cadence sensor, and heart rate monitor transmitter. Wired units obvious will not work with Ant+ receivers, and the Powertap CPU is not compatible with Polar HR transmitters. My recollection is that some Powertap CPUs used coded HRMs, and some earlier ones did not. You might ask which one comes with the Powertap you're looking at.

I still have a wired unit on the bike that sits on my trainer. It works fine, though I really hate the Powertap CPU, which does not display all the information I like simultaneously (i.e, Power, Avg Power, HR, RPM, Speed).

As an aside, there hopefully will be a bunch of new power meters coming to market in the upcoming months -- Brim Brothers Zone, Garmin Vector, Rotor, etc. I say "hopefully" because the Vector has been vaporware for a while, though Garmin has begun marketing the thing.

I likelywill be switching to Brim Brothers Zone as soon as they are available (I was sold on the Vector until Garmin decided to use Exostar pedals rather than Speedplay Zeros). My guess is that when these new power meters come to market, there will be a lot of Powertap wireless hubs for sale on eBay. The ability to use multiple wheelsets and easily use the power meter on different bikes should be a real game changer.
Don't forget about Stages Cycling, too: http://www.stagescycling.com/ (except it only works with metal cranks right now, it would appear), and Power2Max
Old 01-09-2013, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post

You need the wired cable set and a CPU as the wired version is not compatible with the Garmin or other ant+ devices. I have an extra cable set I would give away if you needed it.

That particular wheel is also one of the earliest powertap models. Perhaps that is more durable than the version I have.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:37 AM

older wired unit

Keep in mind that Cyclops will no longer service those models or provide you any peripherals (head unit, wires, etc.). A riding buddy gave me one of his older (on the fritz) PowerTaps a couple years ago. I think it was even newer than that one ebay. I could never get it to really work and Cyclops wouldn't touch it. Fortunately, they gave me a HUGE discount on a new setup if I sent them the old hub. I got a new wheel with a wireless hub for about $500, including the CPU.

In the long run, I don't think you'll save much $$$ buying a really old one. You might see if you know someone with a power meter and borrow it for a week. Try a few training rides outside and use it on the trainer if you have one. I suspect you'll know pretty quickly whether it's for you. In my experience, training with power made a really big difference.

Just my 2 cents.

Morgan
Old 01-09-2013, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian View Post
Sharkfin, wires, LYC (I think).
Download cradle.

Make sure you get the wired LYC.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:13 AM
tailgunning

nick, just wait for a wireless hub -- i picked one up for $300 (lacing and rim would end up only being about $100 more).

seriously, don't compromise!
Old 01-09-2013, 11:16 AM
Classics Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian View Post
Nick, just train on feel, dude!
this.

People who achieved success without power meters.
Eddy
Fausto Coppi
Jacque Antequil
Gino Bartali

People who achieved success with power meters

Lance Armstrong
Alberto Contador
George Hincapie

Think, Nick, which list do you want to add your name to?
Old 01-09-2013, 11:17 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegunner View Post
nick, just wait for a wireless hub -- i picked one up for $300 (lacing and rim would end up only being about $100 more).

seriously, don't compromise!
yea, i think you're right. i'm just saying no to this one. plus - i can build wheels now, so building is no problem.
Old 01-09-2013, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTuck View Post
this.

People who achieved success without power meters.
Eddy
Fausto Coppi
Jacque Antequil
Gino Bartali

People who achieved success with power meters

Lance Armstrong
Alberto Contador
George Hincapie

Think, Nick, which list do you want to add your name to?

That is an absolutely ridiculous comparison, if they had power meters in the old days they would have used them.
Old 01-09-2013, 12:52 PM
tailgunning

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckey View Post
That is an absolutely ridiculous comparison, if they had power meters in the old days they would have used them.
i think the comment was tongue-in-cheek

but i disagree with the response. back in the day, they were true euro-pros. euro-pros train on feel alone. any suggestion otherwise is ridiculous.
Old 01-09-2013, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegunner View Post
i think the comment was tongue-in-cheek

but i disagree with the response. back in the day, they were true euro-pros. euro-pros train on feel alone. any suggestion otherwise is ridiculous.
This is funny...and true. I have a powertap wheel purely out of curiosity of what power output was coming through my legs but I've yet to even use it once; I haven't even used my Garmin 705 in 2+yrs so not sure what I was thinking.

AS, PM if interested, it's Ant+, Campy laced to an A23 if I recall correctly.