Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-29-2012, 04:11 PM
kg

Best newer carbon race bike recommendation

I have that terrible itch for a new bike -- or at least a new frameset. My rational self (or my wife) may successfully beat back the demon inside, but in the meantime, I want to hear your thoughts about the best newer carbon race bikes you have actually ridden for some length of time yourself.

I have a few requirements. It needs to have a relatively long HT. It doesn't need to be massive, but something on the order of what Cervelo offers, for instance. It should be a good all-arounder so that I can race flat road races, hilly road races, and crits. I would also prefer that it can take a hit and survive. My current bike (Fisher Cronus) uses extremely large diameter and thin-walled tubes, making it a "one-crash" bike. Ask me how I know!

A little about me. I'm 6'1" 155 lbs, 43 years old, a better climber than a flatlander and better at threshold than at sprinting. I race mostly in TX where there are a lot of short and steep climbs but I like traveling to places that have real climbs up actual mountains. I find that rear end responsiveness and stiffness is helpful for snapping up the little climbs (in many ways, they end up being like little intermediate sprints).

Here are some frames I'm curious about, but my curiosity isn't limited to these by any extent:

- Cervelo R5
- Cannondale Supersix Evo (not sure which flavor)
- Anything made by Time, maybe a VXRS
- Specialized Tarmac SL4
- Crumpton Corsa Team

Here's what I've been on in the past. Current ride is a Fisher Cronus (monocoque). It's stiff and responsive but lacks passion and maybe it's just me or my fit on the bike, but I have trouble descending confidently on it. Time Edge Racer (lugged carbon) was really great although a little noodely, but it had the passion. Time RX Instinct (monocoque front triangle, lugged rear). I dunno, this one just didn't have it. It was fine but not better enough that the Fisher to keep it.

Thanks in advance for sharing your experiences.
Old 12-29-2012, 04:17 PM

My choice for stock carbon would be: Crumpton corsa team, Parlee Z5Sl or Colnago C59. For custom there is only one for me...Crumpton.
Old 12-29-2012, 04:54 PM
Administrator

'nago C59 ?
Old 12-29-2012, 05:14 PM
tailgunning

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
'nago C59 ?
my current 'lust-after' frame o' the week
Old 12-29-2012, 05:20 PM
Administrator

I should also add:

I've ridden quite a few bikes, and when it was time for me to buy a plastic bike, i wound up choosing an Argon 18 for myself. is it the sexiest hi-zoot frame in the world - no. it certainly does ride very well, and puts the power down nicely. i'm not a racer, but i do my fare share of hammerfest typed fast rides, and that's what i bought this bike for. it gets the job done. no drama, no downside that i can detect.

the "3d" headset allows you to really dial in what headtube length you want, which i found to be a nice feature. i'm happy with mine. i have a few thousand miles on it now, no regrets.

Old 12-29-2012, 05:22 PM
kg

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegunner View Post
my current 'lust-after' frame o' the week
You're in college, right? Unless you're headed to dental school next, keep on lusting! Or maybe the lust itself will spark an interest in the dental arts?

The C59 looks quite nice but it's waaaaay out of my league price-wise unless Jack Brunk suddenly starts riding a 59cm.
Old 12-29-2012, 05:28 PM

Look 595?
Old 12-29-2012, 05:28 PM
tailgunning

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgreene10 View Post
You're in college, right? Unless you're headed to dental school next, keep on lusting! Or maybe the lust itself will spark an interest in the dental arts?

The C59 looks quite nice but it's waaaaay out of my league price-wise unless Jack Brunk suddenly starts riding a 59cm.
going back to grad school... so yeah, it's not a realistic dream haha

unfortunately the only interest i have is in the sciences. of computers.
Old 12-29-2012, 05:40 PM

I was still racing at your age I would go with an old high end aluminum bike like a derosa merak, a planet or something similar like a caad or a BMC racemaster. Specially because to win an occasional race or to ride your group sure even can be done with a steel bike.

Easier to replace a 500 bucks frame than a 3000 carbon one, specially because you clearly you cant fool your wife no more :P and becasue from what i can see you are sponsoring yourself. Im older than you just in case.

As for the handling problem you have, if you are seated all the way back, short stem and not too much drop in the stem. Then there you have the problem with the handling.

Good luck hope you find what you are looking for, but the issue you have with paper thin tubes doesnt have any solution because for the manufactures to be able to built lighter they had to go with oversize tubing, oversize tubing means thin paper tubing. That means maybe that all your list will have the same problem because all of them have oversize tubing.

cheers
Old 12-29-2012, 06:13 PM

I race a Felt F series. It is not a purist bike by any means. It has very little snob factor. It has no major outstanding qualities, it just does everything really well, no matter if it is a tight NCC criterium, a back country road race, or a training ride with friends. Crisp handling, very stiff, comfortable ride. I am currently on an FC frameset, which is the equivalent of an F2/F3 bike.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramnnim View Post
Look 595?
+1. Like mine a lot!
Old 12-29-2012, 06:51 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

Important reminder: only race what you can afford to replace.

Me? I'd say low- to mid-end plastic frames at the highest end if you're racing. Nothing exotic/expensive unless you're a trust fund baby.

My (broke as #$%#$) $.02

M
Old 12-29-2012, 07:00 PM

I'm in the same boat with the need for longer head tube and the parlee offerings with the extended HT are cool. I've had a supersix for 1/2 a season now and I need to run more spacers than I'd like since the HT is pretty short. I like everything else about it though.

any of the Z5 variations with stock geo in 'tall; sound like they would work for you. They are routinely going for under 2 grand. I would recommend 2012 and beyond since the 2011 one uses a bonded alloy sleeve BB30 where they used PF30 starting in 2012.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:05 PM

Since you're in Austin, why not go see Mr Crumpton?

That's a far better option than giving Specialized more money IMO.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:14 PM

Lots of great stuff out there. I ride a Madone 6.9 SSL and a C 50. My advice is to go ride as many as you can to see what fits with you. I did that at the Interbike Outdoor Demo and was quite surprised at the different feel of different bikes when ridden back to back. They all were good...just different.