Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-21-2012, 02:41 PM

Competitive Cyclist Quality Control Issues

Love their sales. Their generous discounts on high quality goods generated much goodwill and loyalty, allowing me to gladly pay full retail when necessary. Yet, I can't pass up the bargains and with every clearance or apparel sale they've had in the last few months, I've tried to stock up, buying more than I actually need. Now, I'm aware there have been a few threads about Backcountry's purchase of CC. I've never had an issue with Bonktown or Realcyclist. Merchandise as promised, questions clearly answered and super fast fast delivery for not a lot of dough. One wouldn't be unreasonable to transfer those expectations to the fulfillment of CCs orders, right? Unfortunately, I've noticed a troubling pattern in my last three CC purchases:

1. Bought a nice 2009 jersey. Damaged front zipper/collar and loose stitching on a rear pocket. And the manufacturer of this jersey justifies its price based on the amazing pocket system.

2. Bought a Capo jersey which didn't come in a Capo bag. No biggie. It also didn't have that new merchandise aroma. Month later I noticed that the rubber Capo tag had been cut off. A return? Irregular?

3. A 2010 jersey on deep discount. After hand-washing it once, there's piling in about 6 different sections. Jersey looks worse than jerseys I've crashed in.

All these issues have come up in the last few months. All emails to CC's sales addy have been ignored. I know they're good about accepting returns, etc. But, I'm a little annoyed by the inconvenience and a little perturbed that they may have sold me used/worn jerseys. Anyhoo, anyone have similar experiences?

Last edited by beeatnik; 02-21-2012 at 03:12 PM.
Old 02-21-2012, 02:55 PM

Are these returns, but not mentioned as such on the website? Don't know about CC, but I know Nashbar has a separate section where you can buy returned items.

Don
Old 02-21-2012, 03:04 PM

Sold as new.

But I remember their return policy said something about returns being in "saleable condition." Wonder if they steam clean obviously worn and laundered merchandise and sell as new. Also, if they pass off seconds as first quality merch.
Old 02-21-2012, 03:29 PM

you say all emails? phone?

I prefer a final email and phone message. "I have tried to contact you x times by email and voice. You have not yet responded. I am a member of a bicycle forum with at least 20,000 members who are your potential customers, and they salivate over this sort of information. If you don't respond to and/or resolve my problem within the next 48 hours, I will take my dissatisfaction to my 20,000 cycling buddies."

Then if they don't get it, I think it's ok to come here to the forum. But hasty heresay bugs the crap out of me.

Good luck with CC. I mean that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeatnik
Love their sales. Their generous discounts on high quality goods generated much goodwill and loyalty, allowing me to gladly pay full retail when necessary. Yet, I can't pass up the bargains and with every clearance or apparel sale they've had in the last few months, I've tried to stock up, buying more than I actually need. Now, I'm aware there have been a few threads about Backcountry's purchase of CC. I've never had an issue with Bonktown or Realcyclist. Merchandise as promised, questions clearly answered and super fast fast delivery for not a lot of dough. One wouldn't be unreasonable to transfer those expectations to the fulfillment of CCs orders, right? Unfortunately, I've noticed a troubling pattern in my last three CC purchases:
How many is that? Did you try the phone? Before "slamming" them here, I recommend some assertiveness on your part.

1. Bought a nice 2009 jersey. Damaged front zipper/collar and loose stitching on a rear pocket. And the manufacturer of this jersey justifies its price based on the amazing pocket system.

2. Bought a Capo jersey which didn't come in a Capo bag. No biggie. It also didn't have that new merchandise aroma. Month later I noticed that the rubber Capo tag had been cut off. A return? Irregular?

3. A 2010 jersey on deep discount. After hand-washing it once, there's piling in about 6 different sections. Jersey looks worse than jerseys I've crashed in.

All these issues have come up in the last few months. All emails to CC's sales addy have been ignored. I know they're good about accepting returns, etc. But, I'm a little annoyed by the inconvenience and a little perturbed that they may have sold me used/worn jerseys. Anyhoo, anyone have similar experiences?

Last edited by eddief; 02-21-2012 at 03:31 PM.
Old 02-21-2012, 03:50 PM

i'm sorry i just had to chuckle at this--as true as it otherwise may be.

i have a vision of 20,000 unified, uptight, sunlight and warm weather-starved cyclists ready to unleash all kinds of wicked page refreshing vindictive on an unresponsive online vendor.

clearly the new paradigm for having an online presence involves time spent monitoring social media (if forums are considered such).

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddief
I prefer a final email and phone message. "I have tried to contact you x times by email and voice. You have not yet responded. I am a member of a bicycle forum with at least 20,000 members who are your potential customers, and they salivate over this sort of information. If you don't respond to and/or resolve my problem within the next 48 hours, I will take my dissatisfaction to my 20,000 cycling buddies."

Last edited by 54ny77; 02-21-2012 at 03:53 PM.
Old 02-21-2012, 04:00 PM

Gathering evidence, ya kno? It's kind of a class action approach, where a firm will place an ad to help identify the class members. In the case of the forum, I often see P-S-As on sales so it's obvious a lot of people here take advantage of CC sales. My experience can't be unique. If I had generalized from one transaction, then your suggestion of haste would be more accurate. However, I made 3 separate purchases, 3 months apart and in each case I've received merchandise that seemed worn, defective or damaged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddief

Then if they don't get it, I think it's ok to come here to the forum. But hasty heresay bugs the crap out of me.

Good luck with CC. I mean that.
Old 02-21-2012, 04:25 PM

you do not say

how or if you handled each issue. sounds like you saved em up and then let us know. when i say us i mean 20,000 of us. what about the vendor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeatnik
Gathering evidence, ya kno? It's kind of a class action approach, where a firm will place an ad to help identify the class members. In the case of the forum, I often see P-S-As on sales so it's obvious a lot of people here take advantage of CC sales. My experience can't be unique. If I had generalized from one transaction, then your suggestion of haste would be more accurate. However, I made 3 separate purchases, 3 months apart and in each case I've received merchandise that seemed worn, defective or damaged.
Old 02-21-2012, 04:38 PM

OP said he emailed them. In this day and age, not responding to emails - especially if you're an online vendor and also especially if you are CC - is completely unacceptable. I know that Brendan will make this right.
Old 02-21-2012, 04:39 PM

They've never answered any of my emails. That said, it took 3 months to see the pattern since, as alluded to in my OP, I was stocking up on merch. Possibly, I could have been more proactive. Yet, when you've saved $200 off retail on a jersey, there's more tolerance for defects and it's easier to give the retailer the benefit of the doubt.
Old 02-21-2012, 04:40 PM

Not really an issue but I got some bibs from CC that had obviously been tried on before (obvously because they had foreign hairs embedded in the chamois that I noticed before I tried them on and subsequently didn't - sorry if that was too much information). I returned them, was out about $16 in shipping both ways.

Perhaps they should have a guy with some tweezers to remove these when they are returned, I'd have been none the wiser then.
Old 02-21-2012, 04:43 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idris Icabod
Not really an issue but I got some bibs from CC that had obviously been tried on before (obvously because they had foreign hairs embedded in the chamois that I noticed before I tried them on and subsequently didn't - sorry if that was too much information). I returned them, was out about $16 in shipping both ways.

Perhaps they should have a guy with some tweezers to remove these when they are returned, I'd have been none the wiser then.

Yowser..had a gent return some bibs that were, well, were 'soiled'. Didn't notice...just threw 'em away.

We tell people that try om bibs to keep their skiveys on.

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 02-21-2012 at 04:50 PM.
Old 02-21-2012, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe
Yowser..had a gent return some bibs that were, well, were 'soiled'. Didn't notice...just threw 'em away.
I guess I got quite lucky then! I'm betting no one will top this story.
Old 02-21-2012, 04:55 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
I guess I got quite lucky then! I'm betting no one will top this story.

Retail, the best and worse job there is............... at the same time.
Old 02-21-2012, 04:58 PM

NASS-T!!!!

Oh man that's gross. Gross gross gross.

Quote:

Old 02-21-2012, 05:26 PM

Quote:

I would of demanded full credit of the shipping costs both ways and hold up the payment with credit card company till they resolved it correctly! You must stand up to these sellers and show them that's not the way to do business! Don't let them treat you the customer like dirt!