Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-19-2012, 05:17 PM

Serotta pricing......

I had not taken a look at the serotta pricing for a while (i think the last time i did it was when i was selling them 10 years ago) but that white legend pave in the gallery made me look to see what something like that would run. The closest model i could find pricing on is a Legend SE coming in at $5700 dollars for frame/fork. I dont know if the ti rear end is cheaper but I have to say i was surprised. I have not spent a lot of time looking at high end ti frames specifically and i found myself wondering why exactly this frame is at such a high price point.

I couldn't tell from the pics if some of the tubes are still tapered on that sweet pave but it looks like they are still using custom tapered tubes on these bikes which is still pretty unique and i suppose that warrants some increase in price. The serotta expertise in customization both in fit and ride tuning is also second to none. The finishing is always super as well.

I guess what i am saying is that Serotta makes some real nice machines but have other people here found their pricing a little hard to justify? If not what about the process or bicycle added that extra value for you?
Old 02-19-2012, 05:23 PM

If you can afford a new Serotta, there's nothing better. If you can't, serious sticker shock.

I love my indy fabs, but all three complete bikes bought used still wouldn't equal the price of a new frame/fork I want.

Don
Old 02-19-2012, 05:32 PM

Sorry...way overpriced.

I currently own a Serotta Legend Ti. Absolutely love it BUT...I will never buy another one. I paid just over 8K for my complete DA equipped Legend in 05. Now, that same bike is selling for over 11. Its ridiculous. 10-20K for a BIKE! I can buy a 5-7K bike and be just as happy riding it. I read his public statement located somewhere on this forum and its evident that the volume of frame sales isn't what it used to be. The answer to this is simple...its because his pricing is not in line with what he is selling and market demands have changed. I'm not saying he doesn't build awesome frames. I am saying he is charging way to much for those awesome frames. (Now, my flame suit is on and I am ducking).
No offense Ben...love your frames though. I just won't pay what you are asking for them.
Old 02-19-2012, 05:35 PM
Administrator

at this point in my life - i am priced out of the new market for Serotta, plain and simple. no question.

to your point and question though: i dont think there is any reason to drop the premium coin on a new Serotta at this point when there are several Serotta alumni who can make, literally, the same frames for thousands less (for steel and Ti anyway).
Old 02-19-2012, 05:40 PM
inappropriate

I hate to agree, but I do. I hate to agree only because I wish it was different. I have an Ottrott only because I was in a shop part time years ago and got a good price.

I know Serotta has history, but it can not justify the $1,700 difference between the Legend Ti and the Ti CJ from IF. If it were a few hundred dollars, I could maybe say it was for badge, prestige, etc... But $1,700 is a lot at that altitude.

I would say if you are interested, no pricing has been set in stone, and it has been about 90 days since there has been a peep out of Serotta on their new line. I wouldn't do a thing until they post or update. Maybe they finally got the idea, cleared the drawing board, and are starting over, pricing included.

Outdated website and no communication from the manufacturer in 3 months... Keep saving your nickels.

-Serotta Fan [not sarcasm]
Old 02-19-2012, 05:44 PM

i would really like to support serotta, i have put a lot of miles on a few second hand ones over the years, i wonder what is driving the price so high? overhead or...... I would have to think that orders would increase if they were to drop their prices but maybe they cant afford to. I am not a business man so i have no idea what i am talking about.
Old 02-19-2012, 05:46 PM

I long for the Serotta of the past! They've totally Lost touch.

Mike
Old 02-19-2012, 05:52 PM
formerly Landshark_98

If you find that shocking check the price of the meivici. Unless I win the lotto I can't see myself ever coughing up the coin for a new Serotta. Would like to have one but just not buying the value proposition at the current prices. O
Old 02-19-2012, 05:53 PM

I bought a brand new Ottrott SE frame and fork on Ebay last year for $2500. It is buy far the best riding, nicest bike I have ever owned. Unfortunately, if I had to replace it, I couldn't justify the retail price. As much as I love the bike, there are too many custom builders out there that I would got to first. A Ti Spectrum, Moots or Firefly, carbon Carl Strong and many others are considerably less expensive and where I would be looking to spend my money.
Old 02-19-2012, 05:54 PM

I have a custom Vamoots RSL, which isn't that far off from the price of a Legend. The current cost of a stock RSL frame and fork is $4,650, and the custom option is $650, so that's $5,300 for a custom RSL. If you consider that the Legend comes with an F3 fork, which is made in the US, comes in different stiffnesses, etc., and costs more, the price differential is not as big as it appears.

That said, I too think that Serotta would sell more bikes if the prices were lower. Not sure where the break-even is. I previously posted on the fact that the prices are not necessarily as out of line with others as they appear.
Old 02-19-2012, 05:58 PM
inappropriate

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicycletricycle
i would really like to support serotta, i have put a lot of miles on a few second hand ones over the years, i wonder what is driving the price so high? overhead or...... I would have to think that orders would increase if they were to drop their prices but maybe they cant afford to. I am not a business man so i have no idea what i am talking about.
Agreed. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should... And by that I am referring to the aftermarket forks. They should focus on great frames, and use the fork du jour. Their forks are sublime, but they would have been fine using Reynolds Ouza Pro's that other high end companies used to use. They'd be fine today using the ENVE like others are doing now.

I know, I know, we do not know their model, but they've got to do something different. If they don't lower their price and move bikes it wont matter what they charge, no matter how much the pain..
Old 02-19-2012, 05:59 PM

Well, I was fortunate to pick up a NOS Legend Ti/ST in 2007 for about 1/2 retail at that time. It was stock 56cm which is what I wanted so I didn't need the custom. I built the bike with Neutron wheels, Campy Chorus and all toll, it came in just under 5k. I'm very satisfied with the bike and know that I will never need another.

That being said, I could afford a new Serotta, however, frankly, I cannot justify 5k or more on the frame alone. It's just too much coin for my taste. I agree with the other posters, Ben, has to look at supply and demand. If he wants more demand, (and I would say he does), then he's got to lower the price to become more competitive.

On the second note, about Serotta alumni out there toiling away, while they are very good, they cannot deliver what Serotta does. They don't have access to the proprietary tubing, and for Kelly Bedford's sake, he is now doing Ti, however not double or triple butted. I respect all the Serotta alumni and frankly this isn't a knock it's just a difference that they do not offer at this time. Both Dave and Kelly build beautiful bikes and I would be very pleased with either of them building me a custom frame, especially one with the Terraplane rear end.

Regards,

Bob
Old 02-19-2012, 06:00 PM

as of 6:59 p.m. eastern on 2-19-12, each person's share of the national debt is approx $49,399.72, so the pricing on any serotta is a relative bargain.

Old 02-19-2012, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargainguy
If you can afford a new Serotta, there's nothing better
That's your opinion.
Old 02-19-2012, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54ny77
as of 6:59 p.m. eastern on 2-19-12, each person's share of the national debt is approx $49,399.72, so the pricing on any serotta is a relative bargain.

that has nothing to do with this, and i really hate that dancing banana.