Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-18-2005, 06:18 AM
needs adult supervision

DA10 brifters with 9-speed cassette?

anyone have any experience with how well 10-speed brifters shift 9-speed cassettes? is such a combo possible?
Old 08-18-2005, 06:58 AM
ergottWheels

I can't imagine it would work well because DA 10 crams 10 speeds into a space smaller than 9 sp. Hence the spacer with the 10 cassette. You might be able to get a few good shifts until the spacing is too different.
Old 08-18-2005, 07:02 AM
Feel the Force

climb we have covered this before- You put the derailure cable over the washer on the derailure (rather than under it) and that shorten the throw to the derailure- so it works with 9 speed- I have not tried it myself but it has been covered here

Jason
Old 08-18-2005, 08:12 AM
biker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtdigger88
climb we have covered this before- You put the derailure cable over the washer on the derailure (rather than under it) and that shorten the throw to the derailure- so it works with 9 speed- I have not tried it myself but it has been covered here

Jason
I think it is the 10 sp derailleur that works for the 9 sp cassette, not the brifters.
Old 08-18-2005, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johny
I think it is the 10 sp derailleur that works for the 9 sp cassette, not the brifters.
Its the brifters - the Shimano derailures are pretty much interchangeable and dependent on the brifters to determine their movement. The discussion of changing the cable routing through the pinch bolt has generally referred to Campy 10 speed brifters with Shimano derailures and cassettes. I'm not sure if people have tried it with the Shimano 10-speed or not, but their cable pull may be different than Campy 10, so the same approach may or may not work.

-Ray
Old 08-18-2005, 08:28 AM

But if you've gone to the expense of buying DA-7800 Brake levers/shifters, why not just buy the 10-speed cassette (go Ultegra, save a few bucks)? Jeff N.
Old 08-18-2005, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff N.
But if you've gone to the expense of buying DA-7800 Brake levers/shifters, why not just buy the 10-speed cassette (go Ultegra, save a few bucks)? Jeff N.
The only reason would be if you wanted to use a mtb cassette with an otherwise road setup. Wide range mtb cassettes aren't available in 10-speed, probably shouldn't be anytime soon, and can be really handy if you're weak like me, setting up a tandem, or, in Climb's case, planning something crazy like climbing Mt. Washington .

-Ray
Old 08-18-2005, 08:39 AM
Boeuf Chaîne

It's a bit late in the game to be making changes to the bike, but I would use 9-spd shifters. Be like Lance and make them DT...
Old 08-18-2005, 08:47 AM

I guess I'm the type of fool who believes that if I can't get it done with 39/53 and 12-25, then it ain't gonna get done. So I guess Mt. Washington-or it's equivalent-is not for me! Good luck, Climb! Jeff N.

Last edited by Jeff N.; 08-18-2005 at 09:02 AM.
Old 08-18-2005, 08:59 AM
Glory bound

Check out the Mt. Washington Forum

http://www.tinmtn.org/hillclimb/foru...53&thread=1427

One regular poster there has been writing that his 9-speed XTR cassette works with his 10-speed brifters.

Another poster in the same thread does the math, coming up with the "error" at the 1st and 9th cog when you start by aligning the middle cog exactly; this poster state that the resulting offset might result in some noise from rubbing, but isn't enough to cause "auto-shifting" off those outer cogs.

All Shimano 9-speed cassettes (road & MTB) use the same spacing, so if these folks are to be believed it should work.
Old 08-18-2005, 10:49 AM

new cassette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climb01742
anyone have any experience with how well 10-speed brifters shift 9-speed cassettes? is such a combo possible?

Hi Climb,

If you have D/A 10sp shifters, why not use a 10sp cassette? Ultegra cassettes are not that expensive. All of the Shimano ders except pre 1994 Dura-Ace will work properly with the 10sp shifters.

Jeremy
Old 08-18-2005, 10:53 AM
JohnS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy
Hi Climb,

If you have D/A 10sp shifters, why not use a 10sp cassette? Ultegra cassettes are not that expensive. All of the Shimano ders except pre 1994 Dura-Ace will work properly with the 10sp shifters.

Jeremy
He's talking about his mountain climbing bike and wants the dirt granny gears.
Old 08-18-2005, 10:57 AM
needs adult supervision

thinking of trying to mate a 9-speed cassette onto an otherwise 10-speed shimano bike. the XTR MTB cranks -- which is a triple -- due to its wider Q factor, i'm guessing, is tweaking my right hip and knee. by yesterday the pain was noticeable. so my option is to go to an FSA compact, which i can run a 33 ring on. i have a custom 12-30 10-speed cassette or could put on a 12-34 MTB 9-speed cassette. or put FSA and 33 on a 9-speed bike, with XT RD. i'd have to do XT RD on either bike if i went 12-34 regardless. yes, it's late. but the pain is getting worse, not better, with the triple Q factor. so i'm scrambling.
Old 08-18-2005, 11:06 AM
Alles klar Herr Kommissar

Quote:
thinking of trying to mate a 9-speed cassette onto an otherwise 10-speed shimano bike. the XTR MTB cranks -- which is a triple -- due to its wider Q factor, i'm guessing, is tweaking my right hip and knee. by yesterday the pain was noticeable. so my option is to go to an FSA compact, which i can run a 33 ring on. i have a custom 12-30 10-speed cassette or could put on a 12-34 MTB 9-speed cassette. or put FSA and 33 on a 9-speed bike, with XT RD. i'd have to do XT RD on either bike if i went 12-34 regardless. yes, it's late. but the pain is getting worse, not better, with the triple Q factor. so i'm scrambling.
Climb: Use your 12-30 cassette and a 48/34 setup on the FSA. Done. 34X30 is a 30X27 equivalent, so it should work. I am guessing that if your hip is bothering you on the flats, it will be worse on the mountain, so sacrifice a few gear inches and just remember to kick a**!
Old 08-18-2005, 11:09 AM

all this

Quote:
before a big event, not good. If you are changing things I cannot think of a better time to switch to campy - 10 speed campy shifts 9 speed shimano perfectly – in Europe I use an XTR rear der and a 12/32 and it works like a charm – I have an extra hub body attached to the cassette and I just slam in onto the Garcia hubs and off I go in <10 min. If you want to borrow the whole setup for this weekend it’s yours, just pay the shipping. All you would need is a campy right shifter and I might even have an extra one of those.