Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-15-2012, 07:43 PM

CULT v. USB

Are CULT that much better? Both ceramic. Or, is it just marketing . . .

--Sheldon Brown
Old 02-15-2012, 10:17 PM

If you are tired after 2 hours, doubt have the best will help because at that point 1 gram will feel like 2 tons
Old 02-16-2012, 07:38 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by OperaLover
Are CULT that much better? Both ceramic. Or, is it just marketing . . .
Ceramic is one of the biggest hypes ever perpetuated on the cycling industry.

BUT Cult has hardened steel cups and cones, USB have ceramic balls but more 'normal' steel cups and cones. I sell Wheels double sealed UT bearings for $40 each, better than the Campag ones, IMHO, because of the 2 seals. BUT if you are looking to replace the bearings with Campagnolo ones, get Chorus, stainless steel, work great.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:43 AM
Administrator

are we talking wheels or cranksets? i think my Shamal wheels use the USB ceramic bearings? i definitely cant tell a difference between them and steel bearings.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:56 AM

Agreed...

I can't tell a difference between my Zonda's and Shamals... Zondas have steel bearings, Shamals have ceramic... both spin forever...
Old 02-16-2012, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe
Ceramic is one of the biggest hypes ever perpetuated on the cycling industry.
since ... ball bearings?

For the purposes of cycling the primary cause of bearing wear is road grit entrained in the bearings, basically very fine sand which is harder than steel and therefor causes significant wear.

Ceramic bearings are going to last much longer in any environment that's not a clean room. Seals are great but the better they seal, the higher the friction and IMX higher-end bike parts are built with very low friction and therefore they don't keep dirt out all that well and when you do maintenance, unless you clean off every last bit of grease -- easier said than done unless you have a proper solvent-wash system -- some grit will remain when you do maintenance.

Those of us who've maintained unsealed '70s bikes know this pretty well. I love how freely my 3pc BBs spun but didn't love so well the need to maintain them so often.

Where SR is unsealed, and use oil in place of grease, ceramics balls and Titanium Nitride treated steel races make a lot of sense and if their claimed 3+ watts holds any water, that's probably a number worth some money if you're racing and can afford to throw away pricy bearing sets.

Your Wheels Mfg option sounds great, just remember the additional seals do result in higher friction in turning the crank.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:45 AM

I think the point was. It could make a difference on a PRO level.
Like running track hubs using oil for the big event.
But for the average rec rider is costs a lot and doesn't help much.
Kinda like someone buying a Les Paul Goldtop thinking their playing will improve.
Old 02-16-2012, 12:01 PM

thanks for the replies

Trying to rationalize my Campy purchase. Everyone has weighed in previously on the proposition that bang for your buck Chorus is the way to go. Still, I am buying this for the big 5-OH birthday and it is replacing the Campy Record 10 that was on the bike I bought for the big 40th. "Dropping" to Chorus feels a bit like a "step down" evetn though it really isn't a fair comparison. I wanted to know if the USB really makes a difference over steel bearings and CULT bearings.

The group is going on my 2002 Pinarelllo Opera (if that makes a difference). I would love a whole new bike, but I am trying to be fiscally responsible. The new group will refresh what I think is still a wonderful frameset.

Emotionally I want SR but rationally Chorus makes economic sense. Is Record a reasonable compromise?

--Sheldon Brown
Old 02-16-2012, 12:11 PM

I was in your situation recently. Serotta with 2007 Record. Chorus was probably a good choice but felt like a downgrade for the bike - I know it is not really true.

Bought 2012 Record with SR Ti Crankset. Chorus cassette.

Jeff
Old 02-16-2012, 12:13 PM

If you are buying for the 5-0, then only Super Record will do, performance benefit or not. You are going to ride that group for at least another decade, you are only going to feel the $$ pain once.
Old 02-16-2012, 12:40 PM

Quote:

Emotionally I want SR but rationally Chorus makes economic sense. Is Record a reasonable compromise?
YES.
Old 02-16-2012, 02:11 PM
Cat 666

Quote:
Do what will make you happy to look at when your bike is leaning, ready to ride on that perfect summer morning. Logically, Chorus or even an Athena is the choice. But as a present to yourself? Record, Chorus cassette.
Old 02-16-2012, 06:50 PM

I still need to talk to my wife about this, but I think I will go with Record as recommended. (Don't need her approval, but she will appreciate the good spousal communication and it keeps the household warm and happy. Right now we are united as the kids drive us crazy!)

Will post a pic of the build once completed!

Thank you!

--Sheldon Brown
Old 02-16-2012, 06:58 PM

Buy your campy groupsets from Lickbike or Velo Mine (who sells via ebay as well).
They are real US brick and mortar stores, so you will have full warranty.

Chorus $1250 give or take
SR $2200 give or take

#1 - Chorus is every bit as nice as SR, just slightly heavier. I like it because it has NO RED GRAPHICS, which both record and SR have, and I didnt want another bike full of red bits in my build.

If you want to cover your bases, get the Chorus group and for $120 buy a set of SR CULT bearings, and install them on your cranks.

If this was my big 5-0 bike, I would go for Chorus and put more money into better wheels, which are going to help most.

Record is 100% the WORST compromise, neither the cache of SR, nor the frugality and bang for the buck of Chorus.
Old 02-17-2012, 07:41 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Trying to rationalize my Campy purchase. Everyone has weighed in previously on the proposition that bang for your buck Chorus is the way to go. Still, I am buying this for the big 5-OH birthday and it is replacing the Campy Record 10 that was on the bike I bought for the big 40th. "Dropping" to Chorus feels a bit like a "step down" evetn though it really isn't a fair comparison. I wanted to know if the USB really makes a difference over steel bearings and CULT bearings.

The group is going on my 2002 Pinarelllo Opera (if that makes a difference). I would love a whole new bike, but I am trying to be fiscally responsible. The new group will refresh what I think is still a wonderful frameset.

Take away the titanium and you get Record(USB bearings in crank).

Or mix and match. Record thru out, Chorus cogset/chain, SR crank(ti spindle). Chorus FD(metal) and Record RD.