Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-06-2005, 12:14 PM
Roy E. Munson

BB Spindle

OK, I'm not mechanically inclined and hate all the techno stuff, so I have to ask this question. Do BB's come in different spindle lengths? I have a ridiculously low tolerance on the chainring/chainstay of a bike I'm building and don't know whether I need a longer BB or whether a spacer wil do.
Old 08-06-2005, 12:25 PM
Administrator

Well, maybe.

But to your previous question which I had not replied to yet.....thank you, but not at this time.

William
Old 08-06-2005, 12:26 PM

it depends

What type of crank/bb do you have? Some bb's can be shimmed easily to adjust clearance. Some bb's have multiple lengths in small increments. Some have multiple lengths, but only in large increments which is often too much to address a clearance issue.

Jeremy
Old 08-06-2005, 12:58 PM
Roy E. Munson

Ultegra crank and BB (9spd)
Old 08-06-2005, 01:09 PM

Yes

If you have clearance between the left arm and chainstay,you can shim the right out a little.If your lbs does not have one,I'll put a 1mm bb shim in the mail to you.

dan
Old 08-06-2005, 04:38 PM

Roy, a PHil Wood bb (which comes in different spindle lengths) is neat-o because it allows you to shift the bb within the bb shell of your frame back and forth up to 5 mm. This is great for bikes like single speeds where you need to adjust the chainline. Sounds like it would address your issue too.

Plus, they are bombproof.
Old 08-06-2005, 05:01 PM
Roy E. Munson

Seems an Ultegra BB won't allow me the clearance with the chainstays that I need on my cross bike.
Old 08-06-2005, 05:06 PM
bike_it

Chainline and BB Spindle Measurement

Roy, I just got done dealing with this same issue when I built my Parlee Z1 up. I started with a 102mm Phil Wood BB compatible with Campy 9/10 speed. What I found was that I had about quarters width between the the left crank and a dime+ (2mm) between the drive side inner chainring (34t on a compact).

I think this is a little to close so I computed my chainline front and rear and I was at 43.5mm + or -, right in there. So I concluded the problen is my aftermarket crank, which worked on my Colnago Master X Light. Phil Wood BB have the ability to move 5mm in either direction and is perfiect for this application, but because of the crank it could not be dialed in with acceptable spacing on either side of the chainstays. So I determined the spindle width I needed, which Phil Wood makes for Campy applications to be at 110.5mm. The 110.5mm spindle gave me an added 8.50mm more width, and divided into two allowed for 4.25mm more clearance per side, or how ever I needed to adjust each side.

I got the BB overnighted an the tolerances I wanted worked out, but now the chainline is less than right-on and the noise level has increased on the chainrings and cogs that normally run smoothly. Not particularly loud, but noticeable. Shifting remains the same, crisp and fast. The noise is most pronounced on the last two largest gogs (low gear).

I will investigate a Campy Record Compact replacement and try to go back to the original 102mm Phil Wood BB so as to maintain a optimum chainline of 43.5mm. The increased spindle width has also increased my pedaling width ("q" factor?).

Phil Wood makes 102mm, 105mm, 110.5mm, 111mm, 115mm etc.. for Campy square taper use. They are easy to install (purchase two of their special BB tools) and adjust away on the BB cups to dial it in (hopefully).

Last edited by bike_it; 08-06-2005 at 05:09 PM.
Old 08-06-2005, 05:10 PM

Roy

I had the same problem on my cross bike. The fix is to use a Shimano XTR bottom bracket (MTB). The XTR spindle is 112.5 mm (116 mm also available), while the Ultegra's is 109.5 mm. Here is a link to one:

http://www.speedgoat.com/product.asp...t=25&brand=226

good luck
Joe
Old 08-06-2005, 05:40 PM
imho this is mp bro.

you didn't tell the jerk it was for the cross bike. that stupid spacer the jerk gave you is much too little. you need an xtr bb. you going to wells? it'll be there with bells on.
jerk
Old 08-06-2005, 06:09 PM

you can use a triple bb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy E. Munson
Seems an Ultegra BB won't allow me the clearance with the chainstays that I need on my cross bike.

Hi Roy,

You can also just use an Ultegra or Dura-Ace triple bb. I believe that the spindle is 4.5mm longer on each side than the double bb. The XTR bb, as others have noted, is also an option. However, the XTR bb was designed to work with 68 and 73mm shells. It comes supplied with a multitude of spacers to make it work with different sized shells and to achieve the chainline that you need. It works fine, but is not as elegant or simple as the Ultegra or Dura-Ace bb. Also, the Dura-ace triple bb is a cartridge type bb, not the cup and cone needle and ball bearing system that they use for the double. It is just a lighter and nicer version of the Ultegra triple bb.

Jeremy
Old 08-06-2005, 07:58 PM
send me the twizzlers yo

roy-issimo
doll. i hate to break it to you.
i race cross on an ultrgra bb and
ritchey cranks. mega clearance.
you see where this is going?
e-RICHIE©™®
Old 08-06-2005, 09:25 PM
Roy E. Munson

Quote:
you see where this is going?
You're building me a frame this week and sending it up with an Ultegra BB and Ritchey cranks?
Old 08-06-2005, 09:30 PM
send me the twizzlers yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy E. Munson
You're building me a frame this week and sending it up with an Ultegra BB and Ritchey cranks?

you're on the team?
i know the riders all get matching rigs
but the riders are all one of a kind.
that is the way the team is picked.
are you one of a kind, doll?
e-RICHIE©™®
Old 08-06-2005, 09:41 PM
imho this is mp bro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-RICHIE
you're on the team?
i know the riders all get matching rigs
but the riders are all one of a kind.
that is the way the team is picked.
are you one of a kind, doll?
e-RICHIE©™®
no he shares his dna with tyler hamilton and lives in his liver.

jerk