Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-02-2018, 01:14 PM
#RYFB

Annoying squeak

Diagnosing creaks and squeaks remotely via text may be a fool's errand, still thought I'd seek out some wisdom. Setup is ~2011 Super Record 11 (white label) cranks and derailleurs, Chorus cassette and chain.

I have developed an annoying squeak in my drivetrain. I believe I've localized it to either the BB/crankset or RD pulley wheels since it only occurs under power and doing a thorough cassette/chain cleaning and re-lube fails to cure it. It seems more pronounced in the {small ring—larger cogs} combos but still present in others.

Unfortunately, I can't localize the sound with the bike on the stand since it apparently requires more force than I can deliver by hand.

My plan is to first remove the chain and lube the jockey wheels, and if that doesn't eliminate the sound then remove the cranks and re-lube the BB cups. I built it up in November and thought I was pretty careful applying grease in the cups at the time, but perhaps I should have been more generous.

If you pals have other potential suggestions for investigation I'd like to hear 'em since I don't have a torque wrench that goes to 40+ Nm, which means that crankset removal will then require a trip to the LBS.

Thanks