Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-05-2007, 11:05 PM
You still here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by swoop
<snip>...........
but if you love biking... making a living in the industry...
will make you into a little kid that used to like to read.

atmo.
True this. I used to love airplanes, everything about them. Got my pilots license, commercial multi-engine, owned a couple of planes and decided to get into the aircraft sales biz........ I hate airplanes.
Old 01-05-2007, 11:19 PM
swoop

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave thompson
True this. I used to love airplanes, everything about them. Got my pilots license, commercial multi-engine, owned a couple of planes and decided to get into the aircraft sales biz........ I hate airplanes.

this is why i pimp but don't take a cut. stevep... come here. slap. get back to work, ho.
Old 01-05-2007, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000
When they talked about overhead control in the airline business did they mention the 8-figure bonuses that are now being awarded to some airline execs while employee salaries are being slashed?

Sorry for throwing that out. Just a sore point with me.
Jim:

No surprise there was no mention of their bonuses. But they were wearing very expensive suits and shoes.
Old 01-05-2007, 11:57 PM
Everything is connected

There are a dozen or so shops in our town that have been around for years. It seems that they stay alive buy selling family priced bikes and repairs. That would seem to be a tough way to make a living, with Wal-Mart and ****'s Sporting Goods being your competition.

There are 3-4 shops shops that cater to the more avid cyclists. They seem to have a loyal following by offering move-up and custom fitted bikes, with a better selection of hard to find parts and gear.

Maybe look at finding a shop that's looking to take on a partner with an option to purchase?
Old 01-06-2007, 01:16 AM

First words of advice:

DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DON'T, DON'T, DON'T, DONT'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Second, if you are going to do it anyway:

- Dump the partner. It's hard enough to make a living in this business without having to split the profits.
- Location, location, location
- Become active--REALLY ACTIVE--in the local bike culture (assuming that you have a good personality). If you are an angry person then you're doomed to fail anyway. Learn to kiss *** and learn to love dealing with people that you hate dealing with.
- Buy an established existing business if you can. That dad that buys his kid a bike at your shop because his dad bought him one there is worth more than you would think. All these guys that buy bikes once every 5-10 years are worth more than you'd think.
- Be careful what you listen to on this board, as well as any other. Other than the guys in the business, a lot of people here talk about what they'd like to see, but not necessarily what they'd like to pay for. I don't think that too many people on this board pay full retail for anything, and those are not customers you want. How many of these guys would want to pay $130 for a King headset with no discount (because it's a super-low-margin item) and then pay $30-$40 to have it installed?!
- If you have a job where you're making a decent living in this business, with a 401k, medical, vacation, etc. then learn to appreciate it. You're probably doing better than you would be with your own shop.

Final words of advice:

If you have to stay in the business, find work outside of retail.
Old 01-06-2007, 06:18 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by manet
catherine keener as a proctologist
Thumbs up LOL
Old 01-06-2007, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisroph
Jim:

No surprise there was no mention of their bonuses. But they were wearing very expensive suits and shoes.
Did you actually meet Steenland? Not a lot of warm fuzzies regarding him in the industry.
Old 01-06-2007, 08:16 AM

I would say you will need to repair ALL bikes, not just the ones you sell. Unless of course you're wealthy and just doing this for fun. Check out this new shop in Denver... http://unobicyclestudio.com/

Finding a bike shop/mechanic that cares? I have yet to find one here in Colorado. Vechhio's? Well, I had good luck with them until my last build, a NOS Merckx Corsa Extra. Peter graciously kept some good sized chunks of paint out of my formerly perfect frame. I know **** happens but this bummed me out big time. I would be willing to more than the going rates to a mechanic who cares. One who will build and return my new frame in perfect condition.

Any of you know a mechanic in Colorado who CARES?
Old 01-06-2007, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swoop
this is why i pimp but don't take a cut. stevep... come here. slap. get back to work, ho.
swoop, you're pissing and moaning on the forum.
"ouch, my fingers are tired from typing, i need to slow down..."
thurlow rogers is out training.
slap, slap, slap.
oooowwwwwccccchhhhhh.
Old 01-06-2007, 09:06 AM
Carbon-loving lifeform

Other than charging $30-$40 to install a headset, I think everything wickedwheels wrote was 100% right on (man)!
Old 01-06-2007, 10:59 AM
drunk again

me too
Old 01-06-2007, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodcad
I would say you will need to repair ALL bikes, not just the ones you sell. Unless of course you're wealthy and just doing this for fun. Check out this new shop in Denver... http://unobicyclestudio.com/

Finding a bike shop/mechanic that cares? I have yet to find one here in Colorado. Vechhio's? Well, I had good luck with them until my last build, a NOS Merckx Corsa Extra. Peter graciously kept some good sized chunks of paint out of my formerly perfect frame. I know **** happens but this bummed me out big time. I would be willing to more than the going rates to a mechanic who cares. One who will build and return my new frame in perfect condition.

Any of you know a mechanic in Colorado who CARES?
Have yet to find one in Los Angeles....That's why I started doing my own wrenching. If something goes wong, I have no one to blame but myself.

And, if something goes wrong on the road, I am able to fix it.

Steve
Old 01-06-2007, 07:46 PM
drunk again

to get a little more On Topic,

I don't really need to be told of what a high risk this can be. I have been doing this industry for 15 years. It's not the longest but its enuff to get a guys feet damp. Please let me know what you like about your current fav shop

Thanks again.
Old 01-06-2007, 07:51 PM
swoop

to be honest with you.. what i like is that i get things at wholesale or significantly discounted from them because they know i'll look out for them. i like that i care about the guys that work there as friends and that i would do anything for them.

they know that i'm out there representing them and trying to earn the discount they give me. i try to help them sell or reinforce the customers they have.
Old 01-06-2007, 08:19 PM

... obtoose maketh several good points.

i don't want to go a shop to look through catalogues.
if you desire manets business you have to have
product on the floor to touch, perhaps try, and of course spy.
and in stevep + swoops case _ sniff and lick.