Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-18-2024, 02:18 PM
what's a little rust?

To me this is a reminder that team culture matters. A bunch of great individuals with not enough togetherness can be lacking in moments that count. Canyon SRAM is not the strongest squad on pure metrics but they have a great team culture.

I also find it delightful that Marianne came prepared with green podium shoes. She’s not the GOAT for nothing!
Old 08-18-2024, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dan View Post
A lot of good stuff this last week.
I'm thinking SD Worxs could have done more the day of the crash.

Like, 5 seconds worth of helping Demi get back to the peleton!
She lost over 2 minutes in that crash and still lost the Tour by just 4 seconds. Not hard to see she's still the top GC rider today.
Old 08-18-2024, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72gmc View Post
To me this is a reminder that team culture matters. A bunch of great individuals with not enough togetherness can be lacking in moments that count. Canyon SRAM is not the strongest squad on pure metrics but they have a great team culture.

I also find it delightful that Marianne came prepared with green podium shoes. She’s not the GOAT for nothing!
Really? I’d almost argue the opposite. KN-P had essentially zero support for stage 7 or 8 and did a ton of work to maintain her position that a team could have very easily dispatched, especially on day 7…
Old 08-18-2024, 06:33 PM
what's a little rust?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle h View Post
Really? I’d almost argue the opposite. KN-P had essentially zero support for stage 7 or 8 and did a ton of work to maintain her position that a team could have very easily dispatched, especially on day 7…
I mean beyond the road, where they could use more climbing stage support for sure. Look into the stories and posts from last year and this, how they celebrate each other even when they don’t win. They celebrated Kasia’s final stage and polka dot jersey as much or more than SD celebrated Demi’s GC win last year. The press described their DS as almost in tears today. That culture has to make a big impact on Kasia’s ability to ride as hard as she can.

Chloe’s version: “When Kasia says jump, I say how high?”
Old 08-18-2024, 07:05 PM

Now imagine if Lotte Kopecky had been in the race for SD Worx.
Old 08-18-2024, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72gmc View Post
I mean beyond the road, where they could use more climbing stage support for sure. Look into the stories and posts from last year and this, how they celebrate each other even when they don’t win. They celebrated Kasia’s final stage and polka dot jersey as much or more than SD celebrated Demi’s GC win last year. The press described their DS as almost in tears today. That culture has to make a big impact on Kasia’s ability to ride as hard as she can.

Chloe’s version: “When Kasia says jump, I say how high?”
Ah, yeah, CS absolutely has a better team cohesion and support. I think SDW have terribly mgmt but maybe that was their way of showing they washed their hands of DV since she’s leaving?
Old 08-18-2024, 09:05 PM

I was very happy to see Kasia win.

Old 08-18-2024, 09:15 PM

Vollering benefitted from bonus seconds throughout the week. And also lost because of the bonus seconds, in a way.

I don't think her TT win gave her any bonus seconds, but today she got 10, Saturday she got 4, and the finish behind Puck got her 6 more - that's a total of 20 seconds. Did KN get any all week? I think she got 4 in the sprint behind Demi and Puck. So the net for Demi is 16. Without those bonus seconds, the gap at the finish would've been 20 seconds behind KN instead of 4.

On the other hand, had Demi won the sprint against Puck, she would've got 4 more bonus seconds (10 for first, 6 for second), meaning... a tie on total time between KN and DV, maybe decided by hundredths of a second?
Old 08-18-2024, 10:01 PM
ZhugeLiang

Get to know more about Kasia

https://velo.outsideonline.com/news/...balancing-act/
Old 08-18-2024, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tv_vt View Post
Vollering benefitted from bonus seconds throughout the week. And also lost because of the bonus seconds, in a way.

I don't think her TT win gave her any bonus seconds, but today she got 10, Saturday she got 4, and the finish behind Puck got her 6 more - that's a total of 20 seconds. Did KN get any all week? I think she got 4 in the sprint behind Demi and Puck. So the net for Demi is 16. Without those bonus seconds, the gap at the finish would've been 20 seconds behind KN instead of 4.

On the other hand, had Demi won the sprint against Puck, she would've got 4 more bonus seconds (10 for first, 6 for second), meaning... a tie on total time between KN and DV, maybe decided by hundredths of a second?
Eh, easy to play what ifs. If DV hadn’t crashed she would have easily wrapped this one up.
Old 08-19-2024, 07:20 AM

If Sram would not have been motoring to the line after the crash of half the peloton.
Vollering should have gotten back on her bike sooner though.
Old 08-19-2024, 07:29 AM

Taylor and Kasia will make very nice babies someday :-)
Old 08-19-2024, 08:48 AM
ZhugeLiang

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddybikes View Post
Taylor and Kasia will make very nice babies someday :-)
And continue the bicycling royalty legacy...
Old 08-19-2024, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoker View Post
If Sram would not have been motoring to the line after the crash of half the peloton.
Vollering should have gotten back on her bike sooner though.
She got more than road rash, her back was clearly very painful. Which it still was yesterday on the Alpe D'Huez.